Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Adding Wireless Printer to Desktop Running Win XP from Wired Desktop Running Win 7

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
December 1, 2013 10:12:29 PM

I have a Kodak Hero 7.1 which is shared. It works fine on both computers that are "wired" and running Windows 7. It even worked for awhile on the XP computer which is wireless (all desktops), but then one day, the XP stopped seeing the printer. This was shortly after I had play with some router settings and I have no idea if I messed something up there or it's because we moved all the equipment after remodeling and or it's just something stupid I'm missing. Either way, the person running the XP computer is getting more and more frustrated, because they do a lot of printing and are tired of having to use someone else's computer to do it. I've tried all the wizard steps and no luck. The printer is shared! I would think it's an XP vs Windows 7 issues, except when we first got the printer XP could see it just fine, like I said, one day, it just stopped seeing it! Everyone has spent hours upon hours searching for answers and trying everything aside from spells and potions to get this to work and nothing works! Please help! Also, the correct printer drivers are installed on the XP machine.
December 4, 2013 6:24:21 AM

My first assumption based on your description is that after moving the devices or playing with the network settings, the share was broken because the device that was sharing it has a new IP Address. You need to re-add the shared printer to the XP machine using the Windows 7 machine's new IP Address. Make sure you remove the old, non-working printer from your XP devices list first.

On your Router/DHCP Server you probably just want to allocate a static IP for that Windows 7 printer so you don't run into this issue again.

Aside- Windows 7 added homegroup shares which alleviates this problem for home users and small businesses, but it's 7+ only.
m
0
l
December 4, 2013 9:05:39 AM

Fossiltalk said:
My first assumption based on your description is that after moving the devices or playing with the network settings, the share was broken because the device that was sharing it has a new IP Address. You need to re-add the shared printer to the XP machine using the Windows 7 machine's new IP Address. Make sure you remove the old, non-working printer from your XP devices list first.

On your Router/DHCP Server you probably just want to allocate a static IP for that Windows 7 printer so you don't run into this issue again.

Aside- Windows 7 added homegroup shares which alleviates this problem for home users and small businesses, but it's 7+ only.


While I'm somewhat techy, I want to be sure I'm clear on what you said here before I go playing with my router settings (again!). I know how to get into my router, so I'm assuming I want to change my IP address to "static" in there. Will this cause any issues with other wireless devices such as mobile phones, game consoles, etc? Also, will CCleaner remove all the old printer crap lurking on the XP computer?
m
0
l
Related resources
December 4, 2013 10:59:10 AM

Cr8zyC8tL8dy said:
Fossiltalk said:
My first assumption based on your description is that after moving the devices or playing with the network settings, the share was broken because the device that was sharing it has a new IP Address. You need to re-add the shared printer to the XP machine using the Windows 7 machine's new IP Address. Make sure you remove the old, non-working printer from your XP devices list first.

On your Router/DHCP Server you probably just want to allocate a static IP for that Windows 7 printer so you don't run into this issue again.

Aside- Windows 7 added homegroup shares which alleviates this problem for home users and small businesses, but it's 7+ only.


While I'm somewhat techy, I want to be sure I'm clear on what you said here before I go playing with my router settings (again!). I know how to get into my router, so I'm assuming I want to change my IP address to "static" in there. Will this cause any issues with other wireless devices such as mobile phones, game consoles, etc? Also, will CCleaner remove all the old printer crap lurking on the XP computer?


It should not cause any issues with other devices unless they are accessing a resource from the windows 7 device on its current IP, and you change it (the same thing that may be causing your problems for printing from your XP device).

If you want to do an in-place test, without changing anything on your router, remove the printer from the XP host and try re-adding it using the windows 7 device's current IP Address or hostname/DNS name. If it works, my guess was probably correct. From there you can just set the device's current IP as a static allocation.

If it doesn't work, we can start thinking about other possibilities.
m
0
l
December 5, 2013 6:33:42 PM

Fossiltalk said:
Cr8zyC8tL8dy said:
Fossiltalk said:
My first assumption based on your description is that after moving the devices or playing with the network settings, the share was broken because the device that was sharing it has a new IP Address. You need to re-add the shared printer to the XP machine using the Windows 7 machine's new IP Address. Make sure you remove the old, non-working printer from your XP devices list first.

On your Router/DHCP Server you probably just want to allocate a static IP for that Windows 7 printer so you don't run into this issue again.

Aside- Windows 7 added homegroup shares which alleviates this problem for home users and small businesses, but it's 7+ only.


While I'm somewhat techy, I want to be sure I'm clear on what you said here before I go playing with my router settings (again!). I know how to get into my router, so I'm assuming I want to change my IP address to "static" in there. Will this cause any issues with other wireless devices such as mobile phones, game consoles, etc? Also, will CCleaner remove all the old printer crap lurking on the XP computer?


It should not cause any issues with other devices unless they are accessing a resource from the windows 7 device on its current IP, and you change it (the same thing that may be causing your problems for printing from your XP device).

If you want to do an in-place test, without changing anything on your router, remove the printer from the XP host and try re-adding it using the windows 7 device's current IP Address or hostname/DNS name. If it works, my guess was probably correct. From there you can just set the device's current IP as a static allocation.

If it doesn't work, we can start thinking about other possibilities.


Hi, I tried removing all the old printer crap lurking about the computer, then I set the router to a static ip address. Tried to add the printer again, and it still couldn't find it/recognize it. Next idea?
m
0
l
December 5, 2013 6:40:12 PM

Make sure the share on the windows 7 machine settings didn't get messed up:

In
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings

Make sure that Network Discovery and File and Printer Sharing are enabled for your Private (Work & Home) Network. I had an update change that one time.

Also make sure in Network and Sharing Center that your current connection for the Win 7 PC is Private (Home or Work).
m
0
l
December 5, 2013 11:17:21 PM

Fossiltalk said:
Make sure the share on the windows 7 machine settings didn't get messed up:

In
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings

Make sure that Network Discovery and File and Printer Sharing are enabled for your Private (Work & Home) Network. I had an update change that one time.

Also make sure in Network and Sharing Center that your current connection for the Win 7 PC is Private (Home or Work).


I'll try this when both computers are on in the a.m. I have checked my computer and I did notice on the private settings one of the settings was marked "password protect", so I told it not to password protect and under public settings, some things were marked share and somethings were marked do not share. I thought that was odd. Since my WiFi is secure, I don't see how anything is being public ally shared anyway and nobody comes into my home and uses any computers or mobile devices via my router, nor do I have guest set up. When family visits, I give them the router information.
m
0
l
December 6, 2013 4:48:35 AM

I'll try this when both computers are on in the a.m. I have checked my computer and I did notice on the private settings one of the settings was marked "password protect", so I told it not to password protect and under public settings, some things were marked share and somethings were marked do not share. I thought that was odd. Since my WiFi is secure, I don't see how anything is being public ally shared anyway and nobody comes into my home and uses any computers or mobile devices via my router, nor do I have guest set up. When family visits, I give them the router information.[/quotemsg]

Right, when you first set up the pc on the network connection, it asks you what kind of network you're connected to (Public, Work, or Home). The former is locked down, and the latter are not so much. You said you messed around with the router before. It's possible when you did this, the pc detected it as a new connection and when the prompt came up asking what kind of network it was, someone just clicked out or clicked Public without thinking about it.
m
0
l
December 6, 2013 1:37:49 PM

Fossiltalk said:
I'll try this when both computers are on in the a.m. I have checked my computer and I did notice on the private settings one of the settings was marked "password protect", so I told it not to password protect and under public settings, some things were marked share and somethings were marked do not share. I thought that was odd. Since my WiFi is secure, I don't see how anything is being public ally shared anyway and nobody comes into my home and uses any computers or mobile devices via my router, nor do I have guest set up. When family visits, I give them the router information.


Right, when you first set up the pc on the network connection, it asks you what kind of network you're connected to (Public, Work, or Home). The former is locked down, and the latter are not so much. You said you messed around with the router before. It's possible when you did this, the pc detected it as a new connection and when the prompt came up asking what kind of network it was, someone just clicked out or clicked Public without thinking about it.[/quotemsg]

Well, that didn't work either. Do you think it's a network problem? I wouldn't think with it being WiFi to WiFi that that would be an issue?
m
0
l
!