HD 7950 Urgent help? red dotted lines

darkchief1

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
so i was sitting on the desktop after finishing gaming, and all of a sudden the screen went back. It came back on and said amd drivers had stopped working. I didnt think anything of it then the screen went white and flickered then no signal. I tried it in my brothers computer and it comes up with the red bars on boot and to the os. I didnt log in to the os. I put it back into my rig and i couldnt even reach the os. I tried his gpu and it worked fine so it is my gpu. when i tried to get to the os it said a problem had occured and windows will shutdown to prevent damage, it BSOD. It is a radeon HD 7950 dcu2 top card, first gen. Can anyone please tell me as to what is going on?

Solution

Do you watch your gpu temp while gaming..?
What is your power suppy..?

this symptom usually cause by gpu core error..usually caused by enormous heat or unstable voltage from gpu vrm.

There's no way you can fix it normally..

If your card still covered by warranty, then rma it..if it's not, then, the only way is buy a new graphic card..

by the way, if you want to fix temporarily, you can use baking method to fix that card..:)

Quaddro

Distinguished

Do you watch your gpu temp while gaming..?
What is your power suppy..?

this symptom usually cause by gpu core error..usually caused by enormous heat or unstable voltage from gpu vrm.

There's no way you can fix it normally..

If your card still covered by warranty, then rma it..if it's not, then, the only way is buy a new graphic card..

by the way, if you want to fix temporarily, you can use baking method to fix that card..:)

Solution

darkchief1

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
usually but the thing making all the noise in the case was the cpu cooler (stock cooler) so was more worried about that. I thought the gpu was fine as it has a dcu2 cooler on it, and i have never had any troubles with it. It isnt covered by warranty as it is second hand. This card is screwed isnt it? would it be worth anything to sell? and i have an fsp 500w psu 80+ im pretty sure.

Quaddro

Distinguished

stock cooler always loud, sometimes even hit 6000 rpm when full load..that's why peoples usually want to replace it..
and, asus has good cooler, but that's not guarantee that your gpu temp always in safe range..
Do your fans card cooler still spinning..?

well, fsp..is not the best psu, should be enough..
But usually this one be a trouble maker when it's getting old..
how old is your fsp..?

And..if your card not covered by warranty, well, try fix it by your self..
just googling about "graphic card baking"..some stupid way to fix a graphic card, but, however, sometimes it works..:D

darkchief1

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
yeah it still spins up and everything, and i brought a complete computer without his gpu so i could use mine, it was only 3 weeks old. its about 4 weeks old now. I looked it up but i dont think that ill bake it lol i will just use it as a $300 paperweight :(

darkchief1

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
i got into it but couldnt uninstall drivers so i went into my system specs where you can use dropdown menus to see what is in your computer and i removed the gpu and it let me remove the drivers aswell. I rebooted and got into the os and it registered as just a vga card, and i got the drivers downloaded and installed, rebooted and tired to load the os again and got a blue screen. It wasnt the drivers as i got stable drivers while when it crashed the first time it was running beta drivers. I think this card is probably dead. :(