Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Samsung SSD 840 120GB EVO vs Pro vs 250GB Evo

Last response: in Storage
Share
December 2, 2013 12:16:01 AM

I've decided to buy an SSD. 120GB is quite sufficient for me. But the 120GB versions seem to be slow compared to the larger ones. The 250GB Evo is significantly faster than the 120 GB one in the benchmarks. I won't be doing anything much with this though. Mostly for heavy Browsing and moderate gaming, watching movies etc.(My HDD is slowing down the pc)
I know whatever be the ssd i'd get a significant improvement from HDD but will I be losing much if I buy 120Gb one instead of 250GB in real world performance.

Also my motherboard is P8Z68 V LE which has two SATA III ports. Since it is a z68,are the two ports Intel ones?( rather than marvel which seem to be creating some problems)
a b G Storage
December 2, 2013 12:32:49 AM

they should be intel. in terms of speed the difference between the 120 and 250 should not be as big as advertised.

it depends really if the 120 is enough or not. do you see needing a larger then 100gb c drive before you retire the ssd? personally i'd say go for 250gb. you never know when microsoft decides to inflate the space needed for win9 :D 

the pro is better than the evo for either of the capacities. it's also more expensive.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
December 2, 2013 12:45:53 AM

Larger SSD are usually faster then smaller ones because the memory chips are internally raided. the more chips they use, the more they can spread the work load and the faster the SSD. When loading in a game, the GPU needs time render the in game world and such. And the web browser is usually already loaded into memory when you boot, or is small enough to load instantly. So in most cases your not likely to see a difference between the two drives.
m
0
l
Related resources
December 2, 2013 2:10:54 AM

If you're not bent on Samsung for some reason, the Kingston HyperX 3K 120 GB, which is rated slightly faster, is on sale for $79.99 right now on Newegg. I've been told the speed differences aren't significantly noticeable when coming from an HDD unless you go with one of the cheapy pretend ones with only 200 MB/s read or something, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
m
0
l
December 2, 2013 2:56:15 AM

KenjaminK said:
If you're not bent on Samsung for some reason, the Kingston HyperX 3K 120 GB, which is rated slightly faster, is on sale for $79.99 right now on Newegg. I've been told the speed differences aren't significantly noticeable when coming from an HDD unless you go with one of the cheapy pretend ones with only 200 MB/s read or something, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.


I'm from India. Newegg doesn't ship here.Also,we have very limited choice when it comes to tech products online and are damn pricey.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
December 2, 2013 3:14:03 AM

Usually a normal user mostly needs reading, which can also done fast by the 120 GB Evo, the higher write performance of the 250 GB model will be only seen by you when you copy many gigabytes sequential from a real fast HDD or another SSD to the small one.
The felt performance of both SSD capacities are much higher then every HDD.
Share
December 2, 2013 3:29:20 AM

Thanks for the replies. Just got an EVO
m
0
l
December 8, 2013 4:01:11 AM

themirror said:
Thanks for the replies. Just got an EVO


hey dude ! I'm kind of stuck in deciding between the EVO 250 and Pro 120.
I'm planning to upgrade my Gateway NV59C laptop (2010 model) with the SSD.
How's the performance of EVO 840 ?
What are the Read and Write speeds ?
m
0
l
December 8, 2013 4:28:44 AM

itsprdp said:
themirror said:
Thanks for the replies. Just got an EVO


hey dude ! I'm kind of stuck in deciding between the EVO 250 and Pro 120.
I'm planning to upgrade my Gateway NV59C laptop (2010 model) with the SSD.
How's the performance of EVO 840 ?
What are the Read and Write speeds ?


Sequential Read 550MB/S
Sequential Write 412MB/S
Random Read 94064 IOPS
Random Write 45764 IOPS

I think you should get an EVO
m
0
l
December 8, 2013 10:08:34 AM

themirror said:
itsprdp said:
themirror said:
Thanks for the replies. Just got an EVO


hey dude ! I'm kind of stuck in deciding between the EVO 250 and Pro 120.
I'm planning to upgrade my Gateway NV59C laptop (2010 model) with the SSD.
How's the performance of EVO 840 ?
What are the Read and Write speeds ?


Sequential Read 550MB/S
Sequential Write 412MB/S
Random Read 94064 IOPS
Random Write 45764 IOPS

I think you should get an EVO


Ok thanks man !
m
0
l
!