want 300 fps max settings tf2

1flomar7

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
right now im getting 150-130 fps on the lowest settings with an fps config i want to get 300 fps constant on a server with 32 people with max settings
BIOSTAR Group T5 XE
Processor :Intel Core i5 760 @ 2800 MHz (max : 3300)
Physical Memory : 16384 MB (4 x 4096 DDR3-SDRAM )
AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
Intel P55
1080p 144hz monitor
i can spend up to 800$ please tell me what i need

1flomar7

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013

my monitors refreshrate is 144hz and the more fps = smoother mouse movement it just feels a lot better to me and right now my fps is dropping thats bad

It's more likely to be a connection issue, get your ISP to check your connection speeds and signal properties before spending any money.
Try overclocking the CPU, the stock cooler will not allow much but if you see FPS gains with each speed increment the system is CPU limited-in which case you should add a better cooler and push the OC harder. I will not suggest a CPU/MB/RAM swap because the i5 overclocks well, even on a moderately priced cooler (I'm using a i5 750 at 3.4GHz on a Hyper 212+ and could easily take it further but am too lazy to try ;) ).
Exactly which 78xx card?

He's an insect and sees things in super-slowmo.

I suggest an R9 280x, quite a significant upgrade over a 7800 series card. You should exceed your monitor's refresh rate without a problem.

If that's what you currently have, then there's little point getting an upgrade. Two 7870 could probably match or beat a R9 290. Meaning an upgrade is going to be really expensive if it is to outperform what you currently have.

1flomar7

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013

little point getting an upgrade? im running at 150 fps on lowest possible settings with chris maxframes config and still getting fps drops while other people play max settings 300 fps no drops

blacklex

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013

People who tell you their fps are most likely lying if it is a realy good fps. I meet tons of people on games like Arma 2 and BF3 who tell me that their FPS is above 200 on max settings. While yes, this is possible with Xfire 7970s or maybe 770s, it's definitely not plausible for all these people you run into to have the expensive GPUs. However, when i comes to an upgrade, I would go with an r9 280x. This GPU should be able to max out TF2 and even go beyond your monitor's refresh rate. I myself also run a 7800 series card I I currently don't have any problems with it but plan on upgrading to that exact card soon. Before you buy anything though, make sure you have the latest drivers installed and try tweaking the settings and see if that will make a difference. There are also many forums around the net that will tell you the best way to get better FPS and picture quality from a game. I wish you luck!

Edit: BTW if you said you can spend up to $800, try looking into a cpu upgrade. WHile this is not necessary, it definitely help in the long run. If you don't plan on overclocking, you can cut the costs by purchasing a lower end motherboard. Also, before you buy the GPU, make sure that you have a strong enough power supply and that it can supply enough power for a new GPU.