fx-8350 stability issues

Euryalus

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Hey all, I've recently completed a build and have been toying with overclocking, however even with a small 100mhz frequency boost (from 4 - 4.1ghz) I start getting errors in prime95 within minutes of testing, and anything over 4.2ghz makes my computer lock up during the torture test.

However, using AMD overdrive I can get it up to 4.5ghz without any stability issues in everyday use. i'm not sure if the errors are caused by bad RAM or what, usually I get either a SUMOUT error or an unexpected result/rounding error. Heat definitely isn't the issue, as my load temps at stock speeds are ~25C

My specs are:
FX-8350
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
CM Seidon 120v Closed Loop Cooler.

Thanks so much for any help!

Solution
What do you mean by clock? I assume you mean the multi, but I have never heard of a x.x multi, so I'm confused. Is the BCLK something like 225? I would never mess with BCLK overclocking until I have a stable multi. I know there is a way to force a constant voltage, but I do not know what it is on that board. I hate to repeat myself, but this is really all I have.

BIOS flash to newest, reset CMOS to rid yourself of all past overclocks.
Disable all powersaving.
Set a constant voltage.
Lock in BCLK as close to stock as possible, lower is better than higher.
Adjust multi 1 or 2 steps at a time.

Euryalus

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
I'm at work currently but off the top of my head I believe the stock voltage on my mobo is 1.4. Multiplier is 20 stock i believe, and I don't know what the BLCK is. Is that the frequency? If so it's 200 stock, I bumped it up one to 205
This is my first overclock so bear with me :)

Euryalus

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
I did, all checked out okay. Would it be better to try and overclock via the clock? I read somewhere since posting that upping the frequency makes changes across the board instead of just upping processor speed (although it does that too). I also read I should turn off cool & quiet and stuff, is that possibly it? Finally, I am running an XMP profile for my RAM, perhaps it loaded an incorrect profile.

I really don't want to think I lost the OC lottery, that's just too disheartening :p

Edit: I should have mentioned my RAM. I use G.Skill Ripjaws 1866

Euryalus

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Yeah, I dunno. As an update, I dropped the blck and bumped the clock to 20.5 and full system freeze right after starting prime95. It's strange how it's rock solid running prime at stock, but the slightest bump throws it off :(

Have you tried setting a fully custom profile with the BLCK 1mhz under average, then adjusting the multiplier as needed? Also make sure your RAM is running at it's rated voltage/speed to eliminate that, maybe loosen the RAM timings too.

EDIT: Yes, you should try turning off cool and quiet. My understanding is that BLCK runs at let's say 100, right? The CPU multi is x47 while the RAM might be 21. So now you have a CPU at 4700 and RAM at 2100.

EDIT2: Looking at the OP, I think it is either your BLCK making the RAM unstable, the RAM just being bad (memtest is the only thing here), or the 4.5 you got in overdrive was a false measure. Software oc tends to do that. :/

Euryalus

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Thanks icraft, I really appreciate you helping me out with this.\

I did run memtest a day or two ago, and it came out all clear. Is it possible that the memory is functional enough to pass memtest but not stable enough to handle heavy stress loads?

I tried again last night, disabling cool & quiet and boost, as well as other power saving features in case they were inappropriately pulling power from the cpu -- after disabling those I could get 4.1ghz (by bumping the clock to 20.5) that survived 30 min of prime95 with no errors (i know I should run it for hours, but considering I rarely last 5 minutes in prime that's a big improvement). Bumping the clock up to 21 caused another lock up.

At this point I think it's either a voltage issue or a RAM issue, the problem with my BIOS is that instead of saying the vcore is, say, 1.4v, it just has options such as +.025v but doesn't display the value that that would alter. Is it possible to change from the click BIOS to legacy?

Oh, and according to cpu-z the overdrive OC does take, it's accomplished by bumping the clock up to 22.5

What do you mean by clock? I assume you mean the multi, but I have never heard of a x.x multi, so I'm confused. Is the BCLK something like 225? I would never mess with BCLK overclocking until I have a stable multi. I know there is a way to force a constant voltage, but I do not know what it is on that board. I hate to repeat myself, but this is really all I have.

BIOS flash to newest, reset CMOS to rid yourself of all past overclocks.
Disable all powersaving.
Set a constant voltage.
Lock in BCLK as close to stock as possible, lower is better than higher.
Adjust multi 1 or 2 steps at a time.

Solution

Euryalus

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Yeah sorry I meant multi, the bclk is back at stock 200 now that I have a better idea of what it actually does, lol. I'll see what I can find about the voltage, thanks again for your patience and help

Euryalus

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Updating the BIOS to beta seemed to help, I appreciate your advice as it's all been very helpful.

Now it seems the main culprit is actually the voltage, now that I've disabled all the powersaving and turbo features I can see the stock voltage the mobo sets is actually around 1.3v, instead of the 1.4 I was frequently seeing in cpuZ. It's a little frustrating not being able to see the actual voltage values I'm working with, instead using increments and checking the voltages in cpuz. I got about 20-30 min into a blend test in prime before freezing, I bumped the vcore from stock by .025 and it seems to be running fine now. (the main cause of system freezes when ocing is undervoltage, right?)

Oddly enough, when running prime, cpuz reports voltages between 1.28 and a low of 1.18 so I guess this is vdroop?

I doubt it in that extreme. *take this as tired reference, I will reply with sleep tomorrow.*
I think you might have some power saver left, or maybe it isn't kicking in quite at the right time, or maybe we have the states wrong. We need a mobo guy in here, 1.3 vcore should be the norm. Try PM'ing a mobo expert, most of them are glad to help.

EDIT: Yeah, glad to help. I spend my day stalking the interwebs. Subscribed to 5 forums, keep myself busy and tired. ;)