fx-8320 or 4670k ?

DNNYVST

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
Okay so I am finally building a desktop PC this winter season, yay. SO I need help basically deciding on the CPU.

Here is the final build that I was originally looking at:
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/DNNYVST/saved/2ZD9

But now here is that build, with AMD:
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/DNNYVST/saved/31HD

SO here is the thing. I am building this kind of on a budget. One because I do not have a lot of money, and two because it is my first build. Now I mainly only play League of Legends, that takes up about 90% of my current gaming time. Right now on my laptop i get really terrible fps so it is hard to play.

I am on a budget and was planning on the first 4670k build, but my friend mentioned how much cheaper AMD is and it got me thinking about them more because I truly am looking to save money, but still get good performance out of this machine.

Also for christmas I am planning on getting the video card, so that knocks around $250 off from what I have to pay out of pocket for this build. (incase this has something to do with the pricing choice you make)

SO: do you think that the 4670k is a better build at this time? Or does the 8320 compare relatively well and since I am on a budget, is this the best option without loosing too much performance? (Also if i go with the cheaper amd CPU that allows for say, a Sabertooth MOBO).

I know things such as the obvious how "if you can afford it, the xxxx is worth the money" but I am accepting that if i go budget, I may not have the best build out there, but as long as i can run mostly league and other games well, i will be ok.

I am not biased against AMD or Intel, just want a good value.

Thanks!

Solution
My draft:

The difference between AMD and intel for gaming.
Firstly, you need to decide what your priorities are, and what you will use the PC for.
Things such as: light gaming, heavy gaming, basic work (e.g. MS Office), heavy work (e.g. video editing, 3d modeling).
For the most part in current games the biggest difference will be made by the selection of the GPU. Get a great GPU + worse CPU rather than worse GPU + great CPU.

The AMD FX CPU's have many cores, which are weaker.
intel i5's have less cores, which are stronger.

The intel's consequently have better performance per core. In older games, the intels perform better as those games are optimised for good performance with only a few...

TomTom111

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
if you are on a budget, and want bang for your buck, go AMD and overclock.
Cheap, and you can stretch your dollar.

Also, beware your form factor for the motherboard and tower.
If they are different, the screw holes may not line up!

My draft:

The difference between AMD and intel for gaming.
Firstly, you need to decide what your priorities are, and what you will use the PC for.
Things such as: light gaming, heavy gaming, basic work (e.g. MS Office), heavy work (e.g. video editing, 3d modeling).
For the most part in current games the biggest difference will be made by the selection of the GPU. Get a great GPU + worse CPU rather than worse GPU + great CPU.

The AMD FX CPU's have many cores, which are weaker.
intel i5's have less cores, which are stronger.

The intel's consequently have better performance per core. In older games, the intels perform better as those games are optimised for good performance with only a few cores (single-threading).
In newer games, the AMD FX's really shine due to the introduction of games using more cores (multi-threading), which may continue into nextgen (unconfirmed).

The difference comes in depending on what you want to use the PC for. If you're on a tight budget, save some money and go with the AMD and spend the extra money on a better GPU that will give you better performance than any CPU could.

i5: Good for older games (single-threaded), Good for newer games (multi-threaded), Good for general work, great all-round CPU and probably the best around for current games (may change in future).
AMD: Slightly worse for older games (single-threaded), Great for newer games (multi-threaded e.g. BF4, Crysis 3), Good for light/heavy work, extra cores are great for 3d modeling and video editing or rendering, great CPU whilst costing much less than the intel. Even though it's worse in older games it will run them perfectly well and smoothly.

Regardless, both will perform well.
For an i5, I would recommend an i5 3570k or a 4670k. Why? They are king for gaming performance at the moment and since they are the k version they are unlocked and can be overclocked in future for a performance boost.

For an AMD, I would recommend a FX 6300/8320/8350 (might as well get the 8320, it's an 8350 clocked lower at stock which you can change) [Do NOT go with a bulldozer CPU, only piledriver. List here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piledriver_(microarchitecture) <-- That should all be one link, not sure why it splits.]. Why? Great multi-threaded performance for newer games and heavy work, are just fine in older games (not overkill, can deliver smooth frame rates maxed with a good GPU), and are great for productivity with a tame pricetag.

As a general guide for gaming: (FX's piledriver, intel's sandy/ivy/haswell)
- FX 4300/4320/4350 = i3
- FX 6300/6350 = i3 or mid i5
- FX 8320/8350/9xxx = i5 (k) / i7 (well-threaded games, streaming [i7 hyperthreading isn't very beneficial to gaming]).

In conclusion, budget gaming/work: AMD. Not on a budget gaming/work: i5/i7. The i5 currently delivers better performance but don't get the impression that the AMD is lagging behind. They are great for gaming and work with a really great pricetag, just not currently up there with intel. In newer games though such as BF4 the AMD's have caught up in performance and in some cases deliver better performance than the intel's for much less money. You will get great, smooth FPS with either.
Either solution will game just fine with a nice GPU, focus mainly on that.

Some non-synthetic benchmarks between the FX 83xx series and the i5/i7's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4et7kDGSRfc & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu8Sekdb-IE

TL;DR - FX 6300/8320/8350 or intel i5/i7 k. Get the best GPU possible (save some $$$ from cheaper CPU), any will be fine.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right so here are a few things:

1) Between those 2 builds you will get better performance out of the intel build. If you were to go with the AMD build and choose a better video card to make up the price difference between the 2 builds, the AMD build would perform better since the GPU makes the biggest difference in gaming.
2) You will need a copy of windows, factor that into your budget.
3) The motherboard you selected for the AMD build is quite poor. I'd recommend: ASUS M5A97 R2.0, Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3, ASUS M5A99X, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3.

Solution
Alright I changed the AMD Build to this:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2dJuD
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2dJuD/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2dJuD/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($298.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Thermaltake Commander MS/I Snow Edition (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($37.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 600W ATX Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $731.92
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-02 17:36 EST-0500)

With a nice CPU cooler to be able to overclock and a decent motherboard. You could even go for a better M5A99X. The video card is VERY good, better than the 760 which will overall give you better performance.

OlittoTV

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2013
go with AMD because you are gaming and having a 4670k will only add like 2 more fps to the game which is pointless if your on a budget. the fx-8320 is still a great cpu and if you overclock it it will perform the same or better than a 4670k

DNNYVST

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013

JOOK-D (and everyone else too, seriously), thank you so much for the help! You did a really great job explaining the differences between the two for me in that long post, I understand them better now for sure.

The updated build that you posted in your second post will be the one that I am going for, with an 8320, the Asus motherboard and an R9 280X. One question for this setup - how would the 6300 and 8320 compare? Any bottlenecking?

The difference between the 6300 and 8320 is basically just 2 cores. Since most games don't utilise those 2 cores you probably won't see a difference in pure gaming. If however you're planning on recording/streaming the extra cores come in handy - for example I drop little to none frames when streaming games since I have those extra cores that would usually be sitting idle but can instead be used for the task of streaming.

But as I said, in pure gaming in current games they perform similarly.