Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Two combinations involving 3570k, 4670k

Last response: in CPUs
Share
December 2, 2013 8:48:44 PM

So. I'm one of the many people struggling to understand some of the finer points of cpus and generations.
I'm building what is to be my second attempt at a rig designed primarily for gaming... The first was rushed and not value for money.
The graphics card, I am open to suggestions for however what really concerns me is the CPU motherboard combination.
It is my understanding that i must use a z87 with the 4670k and a z77 with the 3570k.

So 4670k with ASRock Z87 EXTREME4
or
3570k with AsRock Z77 Extreme6

I'm led to believe the 3570k would benefit me were i hoping to overclock due to the lower temperatures generated by the ivy bridge series. Interestingly, in the UK I believe i can get the two combinations for what is practically the same price.
So my concern lies in what will offer me the best performance.
And something i don't quite understand: Which will offer me the most future proof. Am I wrong in thinking the Haswell option would perhaps get more out of my system in the future.
It's worth mentioning that i probably won't upgrade again for a few years so both choices probably won't have any reusability in the mobo anyway.

For the record, I am more than open to any suggestions to change the choices I have listed above, I just believe these are two of many decent choices for my price range.

Price:
4670k and mobo: £275
3570k and mobo: £280

Please also suggest a decent RAM and a power supply if you have the time. I was thinking the Antec HCG 400 would be sufficient but i could be wrong.

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2013 9:06:31 PM

From what I've seen on the Newegg pages of those motherboards, the Extreme4 is actually better extreme6. More PCI-E 3.0 slots and SATA ports.

Anyways, I was recently in a similar position and decided on going with Haswell and a 4670k. Reasons? Newer socket with room to upgrade, and roughly 5-10% more powerful per GHz than ivy bridge. I also managed the heat issue with an H100i, however. Overall from what I've seen, ivy bridge only manages average overclocks of about .1 or .2 GHz faster than Haswell, which makes up for it by simply being faster at equal clocks.

Not to mention for you Haswell is slightly cheaper.
Share
December 3, 2013 7:04:30 AM

Applepienation said:
From what I've seen on the Newegg pages of those motherboards, the Extreme4 is actually better extreme6. More PCI-E 3.0 slots and SATA ports.

Anyways, I was recently in a similar position and decided on going with Haswell and a 4670k. Reasons? Newer socket with room to upgrade, and roughly 5-10% more powerful per GHz than ivy bridge. I also managed the heat issue with an H100i, however. Overall from what I've seen, ivy bridge only manages average overclocks of about .1 or .2 GHz faster than Haswell, which makes up for it by simply being faster at equal clocks.

Not to mention for you Haswell is slightly cheaper.


First of all. Thanks very much for the fast reply. I may be tempted towards the Haswell now. So I got my facts right in terms of which board functions with each CPU? Good. Out of curiosity, would the older model of cpu run on the newer Board? Purely hypothetical, I don't intend to do this.
m
0
l
Related resources
December 3, 2013 7:41:27 AM

would this psu: Corsair Builder Series CX 500
Be a reasonable choice

and for Ram:
Kingston 1600MHz DDR3 Non ECC CL9 8GB Kit (2x 4GB) HyperX BLU XMP DIMM Memory Module
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2013 1:12:32 PM

Frost Byte said:
Applepienation said:
From what I've seen on the Newegg pages of those motherboards, the Extreme4 is actually better extreme6. More PCI-E 3.0 slots and SATA ports.

Anyways, I was recently in a similar position and decided on going with Haswell and a 4670k. Reasons? Newer socket with room to upgrade, and roughly 5-10% more powerful per GHz than ivy bridge. I also managed the heat issue with an H100i, however. Overall from what I've seen, ivy bridge only manages average overclocks of about .1 or .2 GHz faster than Haswell, which makes up for it by simply being faster at equal clocks.

Not to mention for you Haswell is slightly cheaper.


First of all. Thanks very much for the fast reply. I may be tempted towards the Haswell now. So I got my facts right in terms of which board functions with each CPU? Good. Out of curiosity, would the older model of cpu run on the newer Board? Purely hypothetical, I don't intend to do this.


Nope. Different chipsets, the older model wouldn't fit in the newer board.

Frost Byte said:
would this psu: Corsair Builder Series CX 500
Be a reasonable choice

and for Ram:
Kingston 1600MHz DDR3 Non ECC CL9 8GB Kit (2x 4GB) HyperX BLU XMP DIMM Memory Module


Seems reasonable. Just make sure you have enough wattage to support your graphics card as well.
m
0
l
December 3, 2013 1:24:04 PM

Well, Thanks for the help. Now i just need to decide on my graphics card
m
0
l
December 3, 2013 1:26:46 PM

Applepienation said:
Frost Byte said:
Applepienation said:
From what I've seen on the Newegg pages of those motherboards, the Extreme4 is actually better extreme6. More PCI-E 3.0 slots and SATA ports.

Anyways, I was recently in a similar position and decided on going with Haswell and a 4670k. Reasons? Newer socket with room to upgrade, and roughly 5-10% more powerful per GHz than ivy bridge. I also managed the heat issue with an H100i, however. Overall from what I've seen, ivy bridge only manages average overclocks of about .1 or .2 GHz faster than Haswell, which makes up for it by simply being faster at equal clocks.

Not to mention for you Haswell is slightly cheaper.


First of all. Thanks very much for the fast reply. I may be tempted towards the Haswell now. So I got my facts right in terms of which board functions with each CPU? Good. Out of curiosity, would the older model of cpu run on the newer Board? Purely hypothetical, I don't intend to do this.


Nope. Different chipsets, the older model wouldn't fit in the newer board.

Frost Byte said:
would this psu: Corsair Builder Series CX 500
Be a reasonable choice

and for Ram:
Kingston 1600MHz DDR3 Non ECC CL9 8GB Kit (2x 4GB) HyperX BLU XMP DIMM Memory Module


Seems reasonable. Just make sure you have enough wattage to support your graphics card as well.


Would you be able to explain why the diference between asus hd 7870 AND Sapphire 7870 warrants this price difference.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-7870-Radeon-DirectCU-Graph...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-11199-16-20G-Graphics-...
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2013 2:05:46 PM


Would you be able to explain why the diference between asus hd 7870 AND Sapphire 7870 warrants this price difference.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-7870-Radeon-DirectCU-Graph...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-11199-16-20G-Graphics-...[/quotemsg]

Mostly it'll have to do with the Asus card's cooler. The Direct CU2 is known for being very quiet and very effective. Other than that, the Sapphire card has a slightly higher core clock, but lower memory clock. Basically, it'll run games slightly (1-2 frames max) better than the Asus card, but the Asus card will manage higher resolutions better. I'd spend the money on the Asus card and just overclock to above the Sapphire card, unless you intend to upgrade in the near future.
m
0
l
December 3, 2013 2:12:06 PM

Even with the £30 price difference? Not disagreeing, just curious.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2013 3:18:19 PM

Frost Byte said:
Even with the £30 price difference? Not disagreeing, just curious.


It'll run cooler and quieter and allow for much higher overclocking than the Sapphire card, and to boot I've heard Sapphire has pretty bad customer service, so unless you intend to upgrade in the near-ish future I would recommend the Asus card. It'll generally last longer and run better.

EDIT: That is just my opinion, the final choice is yours.
m
0
l
December 3, 2013 3:21:28 PM

Alright, Well thank you for the well considered advice friend
m
0
l
December 3, 2013 3:22:52 PM

Final question i promise. Would the CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) RAM be a better choice
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2013 3:29:30 PM

Not a problem, you're very welcome.
m
0
l
!