4700/4800/4900MQ Overclock-able or not

Alpha3031

Honorable
Is the Haswell MQ (Edit: assuming I have proper cooling) series overclockable or not(Edit: that particular laptop also has the option to use the MX CPU but that puts me way above budget so not considering it)? Which should I get? The 800 is $200 extra and the 900 is $500? Why can't I make this both a poll and a question?

Applepienation

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013

1. Whether or not you can overclock depends on the bios included with the computer and the processor itself. In this case, it seems only the 4900MX can be overclocked.

2. Cooling. Being as it is in a laptop, it's cooling solution is really limited compared to a desktop processor. Overclocking it will increase temperatures quickly to the point of overheating and damaging the processor.

3. Power. It's a laptop. If you are on battery, it will consume substantially more power and the battery won't last as long. But most importantly, there will be a point that the laptop is unable to supply enough power for the overclock due to it being, ya know, a laptop.

4. Lifespan. An overclocked chip will die 9 times out of 10 faster than a non overclocked one due to the extra voltage running through it. This runs doubly so for a laptop processor considering it and its form factor (laptop) isn't designed for overclocking. They simply lack the space for a proper cooling solution.

5. Money. It costs usually an extra $900 for the overclockable processors, and that will provide MAYBE an extra .4 to .5 GHz of speed at the cost of substantially more heat and substantially more power.

Alpha3031

Honorable

And are you saying I
2. cannot setup my own cooling system
3. cannot have a better and/or extra power supply/ battery
4. cannot overclock w/o overvolting
?

Applepienation

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013

To be clear, I never said you couldn't. I only said it would probably be a terrible idea and not worth the cost.

2. Depends. A cooling pad only goes so far. And if you manage to set up a liquid cooler for your laptop processor, please let me know. I could really use one for my own laptop.

3. Better? Probably not. Extra? Probably. But it'll add the the weight of carrying it around and the hassle of having your computer randomly die on your due to running through its battery charge.

4. No, although you probably won't get very far if you don't. Besides, to my knowledge the increased time in which the processor is running at a higher voltage (ya know, dynamic voltages and all that jazz) will shorten its lifespan.

ddub

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
You could use Intel Tuning Utility to adjust the voltage and frequencies depending on # of active cores, but like others have said it's not really a good idea. But if you can use this software and overclock a little bit without overvolting then the temperatures shouldn't be affected that badly.

That being said, I actually use this software to lower the voltage and make my laptop run cooler.

Beetlebox

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
JFYI to clear up misconceptions in this thread the 4700 supports an extra 2 bins, the 4800 4 bins and the 4900 6 bins of overclocking.

As to frying your laptop, you would have to do something pretty stupid to do that.

Alpha3031

Honorable
Ok, I finally got the laptop (the one that iceclock suggested, because after a little more reading I decided a 765M won't handle my workload) and I boosted the the turbo to x36, dropped the non turbo max to x15 and am planning to increase the BCLK by using the PCI/DMI ratio thing (not sure how that would work so i'm gonna start a new thread about that, probably next month.

jacobian

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
There is nothing inherently terrible about overclocking laptop. Just follow the regular precautions such as monitoring the CPU temperature at high load. Of course, if it breaks, you keep the pieces ;)

Many laptops come with plenty of thermal headroom, often in the form of variable speed cooling fan. The same model of portable may be configurable with i3, i5, and i7 CPUs, all otherwise with the same hardware. The faster CPUs of course will run hotter at the high load, but the variable speed fan if it's good enough will normally keep this in check. The nice thing is that with sidestep technology is that when you are not doing anything, the CPU may be idling at a low frequency, even when overclocked.