Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Windows recognizing my 4TB HDD as a 2TB

Tags:
  • Windows
  • Disk Management
  • Storage
  • Hard Drives
Last response: in Storage
December 3, 2013 12:30:02 PM

I've been told I need to convert it to GPT drive or something, but I'm terribly confused. Here's what my Disk Management looks like http://i.imgur.com/M7vAdEC.png Please someone show me how to fix this, I've got no clue what I'm doing.

More about : windows recognizing 4tb hdd 2tb

a b G Storage
December 3, 2013 12:32:57 PM

Things you will need to do.

1. The board must support UEFI
2. The OS has to be 64bit Win7 SP1 or Win8 or 8.1
3. Boot with DVD but start with UEFI Boot not standard Boot, to do this lauch the boot device list and it should say
DVD and UEFI DVD
4. Delete the partition and create a new one, Windows will create additional partitions along with it. This makes it to GPT
5. Install Windows.
m
0
l
December 3, 2013 12:35:44 PM

tbtheg said:
I've been told I need to convert it to GPT drive or something, but I'm terribly confused. Here's what my Disk Management looks like http://i.imgur.com/M7vAdEC.png Please someone show me how to fix this, I've got no clue what I'm doing.


It looks like the drive was only formatted to use 2GB. This article by M$ gives a detailed walkthrough of how to extend a partition volume:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771473.asp...
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b G Storage
December 3, 2013 12:39:08 PM

Maximum size for MBR is 2.1TB anything after need to be partition into GPT when it's a boot drive
HDD can be converted to GPT, but only for DATA drives since it requires the entire HDD to be wiped out before it can be converted to GPT
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc738416%28v...

Share
December 3, 2013 12:39:11 PM

lp231 said:
Things you will need to do.

1. The board must support UEFI
2. The OS has to be 64bit Win7 SP1 or Win8 or 8.1
3. Boot with DVD but start with UEFI Boot not standard Boot, to do this lauch the boot device list and it should say
DVD and UEFI DVD
4. Delete the partition and create a new one, Windows will create additional partitions along with it. This makes it to GPT
5. Install Windows.


So do I have to reformat my hdd completely? for this to work?
m
0
l
a b G Storage
December 3, 2013 12:42:58 PM

Yes it need to reformat, but not just format. Delete all the partition on the HDD. Then create a new one.
If the DVD is boot with UEFI, then Windows will create additional partitions along with it.
Some boards support a disk unlocker utility which uses the full HDD but not all boards support it.
Check your motherboard's website.

I've ran that utility before on some board (forgot the model) and instead of actually using the unallocated space, it creates a separate virtual HDD. So I'm not sure what will happen if you want to take the HDD and hooked it up as slave to extract the data on another computer.
m
0
l
December 3, 2013 12:47:01 PM

lp231 said:
Yes it need to reformat, but not just format. Delete all the partition on the HDD. Then create a new one.
If the DVD is boot with UEFI, then Windows will create additional partitions along with it.


I'm sorry, I'm having trouble understanding. Can i delete the partitions in BIOS or do I do them now, then put in my windows 7 disk and format. I'm not very knowledgeable about this,
m
0
l
a b G Storage
December 3, 2013 12:54:06 PM

Do you have any important data on your computer? If yes back them up to a another drive now.
What computer do you have? List your specs.

Restart your computer and boot from Windows 7 disc in UEFI mode
Windows setup wizard will start, enable drive options and delete all the partitions you have on that list.
Create a new partition, if the disk is boot up correctly, the wizard will create additional partitions and one of them will be MSR (Reserved).
Select the partition with the largest size and click format.
After that, select the partition that was just formatted and click next to begin installation.
When it's done and booted into desktop, you'll be using the full 4TB
m
0
l
December 3, 2013 1:05:19 PM

lp231 said:
Do you have any important data on your computer? If yes back them up to a another drive now.
What computer do you have? List your specs.


It's Intel i7 3770 3.5Ghz, 32Gb Ram, GeForce Gtx 770 and motherboard is Sabertooth Z77.
It says it has UEIF so I will try . I don't really have important stuff yet because I just built the computer, so it is no problem for reformat
m
0
l
a b G Storage
December 3, 2013 1:16:15 PM

For Asus when booting up go into the bios and the HDD should label as UEFI and long with the DVD.
When booting up press F8 and in the boot list select UEFI DVD.
m
0
l
October 19, 2014 9:59:25 AM

tbtheg said:
lp231 said:
Do you have any important data on your computer? If yes back them up to a another drive now.
What computer do you have? List your specs.


It's Intel i7 3770 3.5Ghz, 32Gb Ram, GeForce Gtx 770 and motherboard is Sabertooth Z77.
It says it has UEIF so I will try . I don't really have important stuff yet because I just built the computer, so it is no problem for reformat


Hello,
I have also a HDD WD Black 4TB, 7200rpm, 64MB, SATA 3. but I can't use it, not even show on my Computer Management... How did you fixed the issue?
m
0
l
October 19, 2014 2:42:36 PM

mihai24silus said:
tbtheg said:
lp231 said:
Do you have any important data on your computer? If yes back them up to a another drive now.
What computer do you have? List your specs.


It's Intel i7 3770 3.5Ghz, 32Gb Ram, GeForce Gtx 770 and motherboard is Sabertooth Z77.
It says it has UEIF so I will try . I don't really have important stuff yet because I just built the computer, so it is no problem for reformat


Hello,
I have also a HDD WD Black 4TB, 7200rpm, 64MB, SATA 3. but I can't use it, not even show on my Computer Management... How did you fixed the issue?


Hey dude. It's been a while since this issue. I'm pretty sure I somehow split the drive in half and got my pc to recognize the drive as 2 separate ones. Unfortunately I'm not sure exactly how I did it. Sorry man :( 
m
0
l