Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

HD 7770 can barely run BF4 on low with the lowest resolution on my pc?

Tags:
  • Low FPS
  • Resolution
  • Pentium
  • RAM
  • CPUs
  • FPS
  • Graphics
  • Bottleneck
  • Graphics Cards
  • HD
Last response: in Graphics Cards
December 3, 2013 6:11:20 PM

why? i thought it can run it on at least high

i have

CPU: pentium G640 2.8 ghz
Ram: 4 gb

More about : 7770 barely run bf4 low lowest resolution

December 3, 2013 6:24:25 PM

minerclawz said:

i have

Well there are a few things that could be wrong here.
Firstly i would say upgrade ur drivers to the latest from amd and then try it out. If that does nothing then once opening bf4 open up task manager and see if either the cpu or ram is maxing out (i think the cpu is). Therefore one of those two is inevitably your bottleneck.

m
l
December 3, 2013 6:28:13 PM

Chaos2Theory said:
minerclawz said:

i have

Well there are a few things that could be wrong here.
Firstly i would say upgrade ur drivers to the latest from amd and then try it out. If that does nothing then once opening bf4 open up task manager and see if either the cpu or ram is maxing out (i think the cpu is). Therefore one of those two is inevitably your bottleneck.

my cpu is usually at 98%-100% when it hits 100 my game freezes for a few seconds
my GPU uses only about 30 percent

m
l
Related resources
a c 103 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2013 6:31:33 PM

minerclawz said:

i have

Download and install MSI Afterburner and run it. Then play BF4 and check the loads on both the GPU and the CPU. Post what usage percentage you are getting for the CPU and GPU.

What this will tell us is if you have a bottleneck or not. If the CPU load is high and the GPU load is low, then your CPU isn't fast enough to "feed" your GPU. Conversely, a high load GPU and low load CPU means that the GPU doesn't have the appetite to handle your game. The CPU is left to twiddle its thumbs while the GPU finishes rendering your game.

Like I said, just post the load percentages and we'll go from there.

I hope we can figure this out, you should definitely be getting better FPS (Could you post your actual FPS as well?) with your GPU, and I have a sneaking suspicion that your CPU is bottlenecking your system.

DonQuixoteMC
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2013 6:33:40 PM

minerclawz said:

my cpu is usually at 98%-100% when it hits 100 my game freezes for a few seconds
my GPU uses only about 30 percent

Your CPU is absolutely your problem, no question. You will want/need to upgrade your CPU (And possibly have to upgrade your Mobo as well) if you want to get playable frames in BF4.

Could you post your Motherboard's make and model?
m
l

Best solution

a c 81 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2013 7:51:26 PM

BF4 requires minimally a Quad Core system (i.e. i5 or better), your CPU shows WAAAAYYYY below a i3 Core http://www.cpu-world.com/benchmarks/Intel/Pentium_G640.... . Your CPU is used for cheap computing, not gaming. Your best bet would be to replace the computer with a i5 Walmart for only $349, move the PSU you have (it is rated for the 7770 right?) and GPU to the system, and you can play BF4 at High Settings at around 50FPS.

Just because you get a high end gaming card, the data is stored first (Hard Drive) then read (RAM) to then pass to the be processed (CPU) to decide what to do with it (send it to the Internet, print it, pass it to the GPU to render, etc.), before you get to the GPU. Having very low end components will get 'in the way' (bottleneck), as is happing in this case.
a c 103 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2013 8:14:15 PM

Tom Tancredi said:
BF4 requires minimally a Quad Core system (i.e. i5 or better), your CPU shows WAAAAYYYY below a i3 Core http://www.cpu-world.com/benchmarks/Intel/Pentium_G640.... . Your CPU is used for cheap computing, not gaming. Your best bet would be to replace the computer with a i5 Walmart for only $349, move the PSU you have (it is rated for the 7770 right?) and GPU to the system, and you can play BF4 at High Settings at around 50FPS.

Just because you get a high end gaming card, the data is stored first (Hard Drive) then read (RAM) to then pass to the be processed (CPU) to decide what to do with it (send it to the Internet, print it, pass it to the GPU to render, etc.), before you get to the GPU. Having very low end components will get 'in the way' (bottleneck), as is happing in this case.

Tom's 100% right, but I don't know if you need to go quite as far as he is suggesting.

Yes, you need at least an i5. But you don't need to spend $300 something on a chassis for your upgrades. I would hold off doing that until we take a look at the upgrading potential of your current system and your upgrade options in that respect.

I'm also curious, what is the computer you had in mind, Tom? That's a brilliant idea, I'm only concerned that the cheap Walmart computer's case would not have the form factor to fit his PSU/GPU. And how can you build a $300 dollar i5 desktop without sacrificing the quality of the other components? A good motherboard + a good i5 brings you close to $300 right away. I guess if anyone could do it, Walmart would be the one :p 
m
l
a c 81 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2013 9:09:18 PM

Mass sales is the key for Walmart, so they set the price. Unless your looking for ultra low timing RAM, specific designs of the Mobo, or other factors, any Mobo+CPU is the same weather from ASUS or ACER, it is usually the other components (or lack of components) that make the 'differences'. I just checked on Walmart.com and seems it isn't available online at that price anymore (I think Walmart upped the prices of all the systems because I just looked at them in Oct, and there is a big difference), but I had also seen the computer IN the store marked this way as well. That said, the form factor was generic size case, not a slimline or such, and there was obvious space for a GPU add one, though again you don't want to go R7/R9 or Nvidia 7xx because you bottleneck on the i5. If anything I was concerned with was if it had a 5400RPM HDD, but that was kind of hit and miss on the deals, so as a 'cheap' solution it wouldn't matter much for just 'getting by' for most people (they would end up getting a SSD as the main drive anyway if they were so inclined to 'tweak it more).
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2013 5:50:00 AM

Alright, well I'm glad it's not a slimline. That was my concern.

Also, an i5 like the 3350P or 3570K wouldn't bottleneck any of the GPUs mentioned.

m
l
a c 81 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2013 2:15:00 PM

Actually yeah it will, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Cj8RP4kEGo shows how the difference occurred with the same gen as your talking. Here is a discussion about the newest cores http://www.imagelucidity.com/news.php?id_2=1050&?topic=... showing what happens when paired with the TOP END Video Cards, the repeating pattern is the more cores / threads the more times the CPU can process the data to tell the GPU to render it the faster the GPU can perform without 'waiting' on the CPU. i3 has less then i5, i5 has less then i7, simple.
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2013 6:24:56 PM

Tom Tancredi said:
Actually yeah it will, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Cj8RP4kEGo shows how the difference occurred with the same gen as your talking. Here is a discussion about the newest cores http://www.imagelucidity.com/news.php?id_2=1050&?topic=... showing what happens when paired with the TOP END Video Cards, the repeating pattern is the more cores / threads the more times the CPU can process the data to tell the GPU to render it the faster the GPU can perform without 'waiting' on the CPU. i3 has less then i5, i5 has less then i7, simple.

Okay, I was speaking generally here. Yes, i5s benchmark lower in BF4 than i7s, but (as you have mentioned before) BF4 relies on CPUs more than the average game. I'm not going to recommend something that from a value and practicality standpoint, is "wasted" money. The performance difference is not significant enough to meet that ≥100 premium.

So the bottom line about i7s and i5s is that generally the i5 will deliver equal practical performance as an i7 in games. However, when a game is specifically designed to take advantage of multiple cores and relies heavily on CPU power, the i7 is the better choice. However, the price to gaming-performance ratio of an i7 is much worse than that of an i5. That price to performance ratio difference is why I still stand behind the i5.

I will admit that I may be ignoring the needs of the OP.
@Minerclawz: Could you let us know what your approximate budget is for these upgrades? This will determine which CPU you should get.

Sorry for being so confrontational about this, Tom :p 
You're not wrong, the i7 is undoubtedly better for gaming. I just don't think that it's currently a good investment.

DonQuixoteMC
m
l
a c 81 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
December 5, 2013 12:08:30 AM

Well as I mentioned it is really the BEST solution when you go TOP of the ladder GPU cards, anything else will just choke the card, and your wasting money for HIGH END GPU performance but choking it before it can do the job. SO agreeing with you that buying the most HIGH END GPU isn't the solution either. Now it is a measured response of the same level CPU + matching level GPU .

That said I am waiting on the new Assassing Creed 3 results, and wonder if BF4 started a trend ALL competitors will follow or not no matter the 'game theme'.
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
December 5, 2013 1:39:07 PM

Tom Tancredi said:
Well as I mentioned it is really the BEST solution when you go TOP of the ladder GPU cards, anything else will just choke the card, and your wasting money for HIGH END GPU performance but choking it before it can do the job. SO agreeing with you that buying the most HIGH END GPU isn't the solution either. Now it is a measured response of the same level CPU + matching level GPU .

That said I am waiting on the new Assassing Creed 3 results, and wonder if BF4 started a trend ALL competitors will follow or not no matter the 'game theme'.

Just because some games require high CPU loads does not mean that others do not still rely heavily on GPU performance. The VAST majority do.
I'm not saying that minerclawz should not get an i7. I'm waiting for him to post his budget. If he's willing to buy an i7, then great! If he isn't then then an i5 is a very practical and suitable choice, because it will still deliver the same performance as an i7 for ~90% of his gaming needs.
m
l