Will an i3-3220 bottleneck a 7870 or 660?

Eddie Tapia

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
basically all in the title, also this friday im going to buy either a 7850, 7870 or a 660 + a 5$ dvi cable. I have around 30-50$ left after i buy that can anybody recommend a decent gaming keboard or game worth playing for around the price?

Solution
Yeah, you shouldn't run into a bottleneck. Although you can't always predict how a configuration will perform with certain applications, I'm confident that you'll be fine.

Just going to bother you with some advice on your GPU choice: Take a look at the Radeon R9 270. It's the best GPU in its price range according to Tom's Hardware Benchmarks. I saw that your GPU budget fit the card, so I thought I'd let you know!

As for the Gaming Keyboard, this thread brings up a point to consider.
Honestly, I think the best thing to do with your extra $50 would be to upgrade your processor choice and get the i5-3350P. That would give you some serious future proofing and ensure better performance. It also uses...

Eddie Tapia

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013

My decision is leaning more towards buying a 7850 with a keyboard and games since it'd basically be useless untill i get more money, im also planning on getting a 1080p monitor and i see the gigabyte 7850 1gb for only 140.. will that card last me a few years? 1-2? i had my mind set on 2gb but i dont really know if i'll need it to be honest, im not really snobby about it and all i want is to play on above medium/high settings with 40+ fps

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished
Yeah, you shouldn't run into a bottleneck. Although you can't always predict how a configuration will perform with certain applications, I'm confident that you'll be fine.

Just going to bother you with some advice on your GPU choice: Take a look at the Radeon R9 270. It's the best GPU in its price range according to Tom's Hardware Benchmarks. I saw that your GPU budget fit the card, so I thought I'd let you know!

As for the Gaming Keyboard, this thread brings up a point to consider.
Honestly, I think the best thing to do with your extra $50 would be to upgrade your processor choice and get the i5-3350P. That would give you some serious future proofing and ensure better performance. It also uses the LGA 1155 socket, so it will fit your motherboard.

Sorry for all the advice you didn't ask for, I just thought it might be useful to consider.

Best of luck with your decision!

DonQuixoteMC

Solution

Eddie Tapia

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013

Well the thing is i already have the cpu and such, i am only going to be using this computer for a little while untill i have enough money to move out of my dads house so its kindof just a budget build for a year or two. i just want to save money and i know its not alot but even just the extra 40$ makes a huge difference to me atm and the new keyboard is kind of important as the one im using is messed up. :p i was already thinking of just spending the majority of my money on the gpu but i only have 200 more dollars and i have to buy a monitor, games, etc to last me a bit. i appreciate the advice though.

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished

Ah, gotcha! Sorry for all the irrelevant advice. :p

Personally, I'm quite a fan of your CPU choice, it's great for a budget gaming build. It should handle nicely. I only recommended the i5 because at the time it seemed like a good use of the room in your budget. However, a functioning keyboard definitely takes precedence.

If you ever have any questions down the road (Like getting the most out of a budget), just let me know!
It seems like you know what you're doing though :)

DonQuixoteMC

Eddie Tapia

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013

well its not so much irrelevant, its just that i get 3 more paychecks and then i take a break. everything is coming down at once and im just trying to get the best experience of everything. my whole room is changing and i have to put money towards everything. :p its hard to decide when there is so many things to choose from. everything from best performance for the price to having a cool environment to use this computer in. :p what games do you play? maybe we could even game together in a week or 2 :p

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished
Haha that would be awesome! Do you have Steam?

When I have the time I usually play Battlefield (3 and Bad Company 2), DayZ, Left 4 Dead, and other games like that.

I'd tell you my Steam name, but for some reason people can't find me when they search for it. :p

Eddie Tapia

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013

send me a private message, when i get home from work ill make a new steam, i have one but its just kindof a random one :p going to needto make a serious one soon anyway, im supposed to get my last couple things (without the graphics card) today anyways so my new pc should be running.