Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Best budget gaming build for around £500-£600

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 4, 2013 2:57:03 AM


    No monitor, keyboard, mouse or optical drives needed, I'm quite familiar with low budget builds myself but just wanted to pick peoples brains to see if there were any good combo's people rely on. Wouldn't mind a discreet GPU if possible but I understand budget is low, and guess this will probs be an AMD build. Anything that can run most games 1080p with medium settings around 60 fps would be fine, if any better thats great!
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2013 3:30:49 AM

m7kro said:

    No monitor, keyboard, mouse or optical drives needed, I'm quite familiar with low budget builds myself but just wanted to pick peoples brains to see if there were any good combo's people rely on. Wouldn't mind a discreet GPU if possible but I understand budget is low, and guess this will probs be an AMD build. Anything that can run most games 1080p with medium settings around 60 fps would be fine, if any better thats great!


Hello,

Here's a build for you:
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2eNP0
It will run plenty of games on high graphic settings without too much of a problem.
Alternatively, you can change the CPU for a fx-6300 to put the price down a bit if you so desire.
The PSU is a very high quality one. It has had plenty of good reviews and it looks awesome if you ask me. If you're after a "color harmony" build, pick the MSI r9 270x to match the color of the PSU and Motherboard,lol.
I'm not sure if you forgot to mention you don't need OS but if you do, you can reduce the price by buying a fx-6300, hd 7870 (sapphire,msi,asus,his models prefered), a 600W XFX or a CM/Corsair PSU and a Cooler Master 430 case.
Hope this helps^^
Edit: If you want to strech it just a little bit, you can buy a r9 280x model (asus,his,msi,sapphire) to improve the build drastically. You will however, need a PSu that is over 550W or a 550W. It's a safe bet to go with over 600W.
m
0
l
December 4, 2013 4:45:50 AM

Waghzufel said:
m7kro said:

    No monitor, keyboard, mouse or optical drives needed, I'm quite familiar with low budget builds myself but just wanted to pick peoples brains to see if there were any good combo's people rely on. Wouldn't mind a discreet GPU if possible but I understand budget is low, and guess this will probs be an AMD build. Anything that can run most games 1080p with medium settings around 60 fps would be fine, if any better thats great!


Hello,

Here's a build for you:
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2eNP0
It will run plenty of games on high graphic settings without too much of a problem.
Alternatively, you can change the CPU for a fx-6300 to put the price down a bit if you so desire.
The PSU is a very high quality one. It has had plenty of good reviews and it looks awesome if you ask me. If you're after a "color harmony" build, pick the MSI r9 270x to match the color of the PSU and Motherboard,lol.
I'm not sure if you forgot to mention you don't need OS but if you do, you can reduce the price by buying a fx-6300, hd 7870 (sapphire,msi,asus,his models prefered), a 600W XFX or a CM/Corsair PSU and a Cooler Master 430 case.
Hope this helps^^



Awesome, really good build by the looks of it, maybe would just change to slightly higher frequency RAM, perhaps 1600 - 1866mhz, have to do some more research. But yeah really good build thanks for the reply buddy.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2013 4:55:05 AM

m7kro said:
Waghzufel said:
m7kro said:

    No monitor, keyboard, mouse or optical drives needed, I'm quite familiar with low budget builds myself but just wanted to pick peoples brains to see if there were any good combo's people rely on. Wouldn't mind a discreet GPU if possible but I understand budget is low, and guess this will probs be an AMD build. Anything that can run most games 1080p with medium settings around 60 fps would be fine, if any better thats great!


Hello,

Here's a build for you:
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2eNP0
It will run plenty of games on high graphic settings without too much of a problem.
Alternatively, you can change the CPU for a fx-6300 to put the price down a bit if you so desire.
The PSU is a very high quality one. It has had plenty of good reviews and it looks awesome if you ask me. If you're after a "color harmony" build, pick the MSI r9 270x to match the color of the PSU and Motherboard,lol.
I'm not sure if you forgot to mention you don't need OS but if you do, you can reduce the price by buying a fx-6300, hd 7870 (sapphire,msi,asus,his models prefered), a 600W XFX or a CM/Corsair PSU and a Cooler Master 430 case.
Hope this helps^^



Awesome, really good build by the looks of it, maybe would just change to slightly higher frequency RAM, perhaps 1600 - 1866mhz, have to do some more research. But yeah really good build thanks for the reply buddy.


You're welcome:) 
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 4, 2013 5:01:03 AM

Something along the lines of the below should suit you nicely.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£134.39 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI B85-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£58.62 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£49.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£42.50 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card (£227.46 @ Dabs)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (£47.98 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£49.14 @ CCL Computers)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHDS118-04 DVD/CD Drive (£10.78 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £620.86
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-04 13:00 GMT+0000)
Share
December 4, 2013 5:20:25 AM

mikerockett said:
Something along the lines of the below should suit you nicely.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£134.39 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI B85-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£58.62 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£49.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£42.50 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card (£227.46 @ Dabs)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (£47.98 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£49.14 @ CCL Computers)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHDS118-04 DVD/CD Drive (£10.78 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £620.86
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-04 13:00 GMT+0000)


Cheers mike, appreciate the i5 option there, I understand that my budget is lame so hard to hit under that £600 mark lol. Again looks like a quality build with ace specs, probs would go AMD but nice to see the option is available if I decided on intel. :D 

Edit: just looked again and you've got an optical drive there which I don't need so your only at £610, aayy!
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 4, 2013 6:20:07 AM

Yea seems i missed your comment about the optical.

If you shop around a bit i imagine you can pull this under the £600 mark, although the tenner difference isn't terrible.

I think you'll be getting a much better option with the intel rig. Seeing as this is a gaming rig, a quad core i5 isn't going to bottle neck games more than the GPU and in that regard you're better here having the R9 280x than the 270x.

Edit: I wouldn't consider the budget to be too terrible, most of the rigs i've built for myself, friends family etc are around this price point and generally deliver great performance. IMHO this is a great sweet spot for price/performance. Only thing i feel is missing is an SSD which is an easy upgrade when you've got a spare £100 at some point in the future.
m
0
l
December 4, 2013 6:59:57 AM

mikerockett said:
Yea seems i missed your comment about the optical.

If you shop around a bit i imagine you can pull this under the £600 mark, although the tenner difference isn't terrible.

I think you'll be getting a much better option with the intel rig. Seeing as this is a gaming rig, a quad core i5 isn't going to bottle neck games more than the GPU and in that regard you're better here having the R9 280x than the 270x.

Edit: I wouldn't consider the budget to be too terrible, most of the rigs i've built for myself, friends family etc are around this price point and generally deliver great performance. IMHO this is a great sweet spot for price/performance. Only thing i feel is missing is an SSD which is an easy upgrade when you've got a spare £100 at some point in the future.


Yeah completely agree, SSD would be nice, would be something I'd 100% look at in the future, also with the i5 you never know, the performance does speak for itself in benches too, very gud chip. Spose it's just me routing for the underdog. I'm not looking to build in a hurry so i've got all the time in the world to really pinpoint the build I want :D  Again thanks for your thoughts appreciate it :D 
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 4, 2013 7:05:58 AM

The performance does speak for itself. I will always fall on the Intel side in the great Intel/AMD debate but AMD doesn't have terrible chips. Especially if you're looking at the top end. Take whatever you feel would make you happiest, it's your rig at the end of the day.

Definitely consider the SSD at some point though, IMO it's probably the best sub £100 upgrade you can make. Obviously it's not going to give you better fps but for everyday use of the computer it will feel so much snappier and responsive. I couldn't use a system without an SSD now i don't think.

Good luck with your build when you decide to go ahead with it. Just remember that tech moves quickly so if it's been a while make sure to check back here to see that the builds are still relevant :) 
m
0
l
December 4, 2013 7:14:18 AM

mikerockett said:
The performance does speak for itself. I will always fall on the Intel side in the great Intel/AMD debate but AMD doesn't have terrible chips. Especially if you're looking at the top end. Take whatever you feel would make you happiest, it's your rig at the end of the day.

Definitely consider the SSD at some point though, IMO it's probably the best sub £100 upgrade you can make. Obviously it's not going to give you better fps but for everyday use of the computer it will feel so much snappier and responsive. I couldn't use a system without an SSD now i don't think.

Good luck with your build when you decide to go ahead with it. Just remember that tech moves quickly so if it's been a while make sure to check back here to see that the builds are still relevant :) 


To be fair anything fairly new would be ace for me as I can't remember when the last time I had a new complete build was, but I can imagine they make all the difference, Thanks for all the help guys, gotta get this thread closed, BOOYAA!
m
0
l
!