800-1000£ Gaming Rig Upgrade [MB/CPU/HDD/Chassis/Fans]

Vollmond

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
Hi there,

This is my first post on the Forums, so I'll begin by asking a piece of advice from the community to which I extend my warmest congratz! for this wonderful site.

I'm planning on purchasing a few components for building a serious "box" with only a few components already owned, which I presume, will work nicely in the end product. I will try to structure the details as FinneousPJ suggested in his sticky thread.

As a side remark/resumee, I'm looking for a "socket 2011 / maybe Haswell" platform, with some medium gameplay capabilities (I already own a Gainward Phantom 660Ti which does a pretty good job).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Approximate Purchase Date: December 2013 - February 2014

Budget Range: 800-1000£

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Watching movies; Gaming; VM hosting

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Motherboard; CPU; Hard Disk; Chassis; Fans; CPU Cooler

Parts already owned and to be included in the project:

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: www.Newegg.com ; www.amazon.co.uk ; www.eBay.co.uk

Parts Preferences:

• Motherboard: an INTEL 2011 socketed MB or Haswell. I'm not gonna argue about brands since every one of them has advantages and disadvantages. Must have Firewire, E-SATA, sturdy Gigabit LAN interface, cristal clear audio and a decent number of USB 3.0/2.0 ports (both backpanel and front connections on the mb itself). I'm not planning on triple or 4way SLI any GPUs (maybe a dual SLI in the future). I will not be needing Bluetooth, Wi-Fi or any other similar functionality. To conclude, I'm searching for a durable, non-blingbling motherboard that can still be "valid" for at least 3 years to go.

CPU: My initial choice was an Intel Core i7 4820K but as I'm opened to a Haswell setup, I'll reconsider that based on your suggestions. I'm not planning to overclock, since it will be more that enough for me.

Hard Disk: I'm looking for only one 1Tb storage drive ( maybe a WD Black wd1003fzex or wd1002faex ). I don't know if it's worth switching to a RAID setup. Basically this one will be used to run games, movies and some VMs to be hosted for testing purposes.

Enclosure: By preference, I'm looking for a Corsair or NZXT branded chassis (links show the best models that reflect what I want) but I'm open to suggestions. I would like hot-swap, SATA storage access through the front panel, at least E-ATX form factor, non-bling bling, sturdy and simple.

Chassis Fans: Not too many, just to maintain a decent airflow inside. SIze and number varies based on the case so it depends.

CPU Cooling solution: I'm inclining on a Corsair H80i but I don't really know yet how will that fit in my budget...

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

The "WHY Upgrade?" question: Well, unfortunately my old Intel 1366 DX58SO is slowly dying from multiple points of view, so I was thinking of making a major step and end both mine and its suffering :)

If you've reached the end of my bablings I salute you, and humbly ask for any ideas that might cross your mind.

Vollmond

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013

Thanks for the reply. For starters, I want to invest as much as I can in the base platform. The SLI will come later, as you are quite right about it. I'm still torn apart by the MB/CPU choice, so I'm going to digest it further :)

St0rm_KILL3r

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

if you don't mind me giving you a tip, then really don't post such big descriptions ( no disrespect) that's the reason no one answered but me. :p