Fx-9590 & Crosshair formula V issues

colton25

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
Hey there,

I decided to buy myself a new cpu for my computer as i really need the extra juice for music production and my phenom 2 1100t wasnt doing the trick.
i picked myself up a fx9590 as i was under the impression that i shouldnt have any compatibility issues.
on the asus website, it stated that the crosshair V formula- Z was definetly compatible( I dont have the Z) and after doing some research and asking around at a well know computer store in my area, they also felt it should be fine ( chip set is the same AM3+ and it can support any ffx 900 series cpu)
long story short, i installed the cpu and when i turned on my pc, the screen stayed black and never loaded anything after that.
does anyone have any suggestions?? I was thinking updating the mobo bios may be the trick but before i do that, the real question is weather that would help or if the cpu and motherboard itself are just not compatible at all.
Thanks in advance for any help!

Solution
I think you "should" be fine, will be a lot of stress on everything with that hot sob in the socket, but it SHOULD work, you will need to put the old chip back in, update bios, and perhaps chipset drivers from the Asus site, and then everything should just be plug and play afterwards.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
I think you "should" be fine, will be a lot of stress on everything with that hot sob in the socket, but it SHOULD work, you will need to put the old chip back in, update bios, and perhaps chipset drivers from the Asus site, and then everything should just be plug and play afterwards.

Solution

jrob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2012

make sure to use both 8pin and 4pin cpu power. Update the bios. Look for error codes during posting.

colton25

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
Thanks guys, i will try doing all of those things and see what comes of it. i have been weary of updating bios due to hearing how devistating it could be back a few years ago. hopefully if i do get it working, this cpu doesnt light my pc on fire! Ill write back when i see what comes of this.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
lol good luck, just make sure to do a bios flash NOT in windows. I've heard horror stories too, but I've never run into an issue. That board is older than that processor so its almost guaranteed that it will need the update. Shouldn't set anything on fire but I would make sure my cooling system was up to par :)

Drew010

Honorable
May 11, 2013
I agree with the BIOS update. As for the cooling, I believe it comes with a closed loop water cooler correct? That should be more than enough. You shouldn't have to worry about overclocking because the 9590 is pretty much already maxed out

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador

As long as its properly installed I think it should be enough, just be sure to have some temp monitoring programs running in the background to be sure!

colton25

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
okay so i updated the bios to the latest version, and did a cpu swap again. same thing happened. black screen . now i figure maybe i should try updating my cpu drivers. i am having a heck of a time trying to find where it is. i went here http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/CROSSHAIR_V_FORMULA/#support and then to drivers and tools, selected my os and downloaded the chipset file (845mb) and brought everything there uptodate
when i opened it, it is amd catalyst install manager. i installed everything but it says nothing about a cpu driver.

skippio77

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
if your cooling solution is not up to par you could always underclock the cpu to more manageable lvls till he can get better cooling but the h80 should do alright as long as his case has good fans . might want to double check your PSU though and give yourself ample head room . i just got one of these chips today and its like having a kerosene heater in my computer room i underclocked it till my liquid cooler gets here i couldnt wait to install lol.

bonefly

Reputable
Nov 25, 2014
i have the exact same situation. FF error message on the mobo. I refreshed the BIOS to the latest. then i realised my power supply unit does not have a 4 pin power connector to support this mobo. is it possible to obtain a (4xmpl: mole to 4 pin or any other variations) converter so i dont have to buy a new PSU. my current psu is a OCZ 700 SXS2 (80PLUS) about 4 years old. if i will have to buy a new one, will the COOLER MASTER V700, 700WATT MODULAR POWER SUPPLY (RS-700-AFBA-G1) 80 PLUS GOLD do the job ? i cant really find out if it has a 24pin a 8 pin and a 4 pin motherboard power connector.
the cooler on the cpu is a Hyper TX3 EVO with a plenty of cooling paste installed.