Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

stoping programs form taking up much space win 8... LOW space memory!

Tags:
  • Memory
  • Hard Drives
  • stoping programs from taking up more space
  • Windows 8
  • SSD
Last response: in Memory
Share
December 4, 2013 1:11:03 PM

so i bought a really small ssd just for OS, but i didnt realise how small it really was... i am probably bying another hdd to install my OS on instead of the ssd. BUT how can i temporarly stop windows or third party programs from taking up more space, so that my os is realatively free to use memory? is there a way of doing this? pleas i only have 4gb left on my 60gb ssd (55.5gb) so it is pretty urgent! :S( I am realy appreciating an answer!

More about : stoping programs form taking space win low space memory

a c 91 } Memory
a c 467 * Windows 8
December 4, 2013 1:16:11 PM

However...if that SSD is the only drive...and you haven't done these steps yet:

Turn off hibernation
Reduce the pagefile to almost nothing.
Change the max size for Restore points
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 91 } Memory
a c 467 * Windows 8
December 4, 2013 1:17:06 PM

A 60GB will kind of work as the boot drive, but you have to actively manage the space, as linked above.
m
0
l
December 4, 2013 1:26:07 PM

USAFRet said:
See this completely self-serving tutorial that addresses exactly this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1834397/ssd-redirect...


USAFRet said:
A 60GB will kind of work as the boot drive, but you have to actively manage the space, as linked above.


Ok thanks, but can I make it so that programs will save things at another drive? Because I think that my programs on my other drives (i have one 500gb and one 250gb hdds) are saving alot of stuff in "appdata" or what ever thos local files are... and i think after effects are the real thiev here, do you have any experience with after effects taking/saving many temprary and permanent files?
m
0
l
a c 91 } Memory
a c 467 * Windows 8
December 4, 2013 1:28:58 PM

therobin9810 said:
USAFRet said:
See this completely self-serving tutorial that addresses exactly this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1834397/ssd-redirect...


USAFRet said:
A 60GB will kind of work as the boot drive, but you have to actively manage the space, as linked above.


Ok thanks, but can I make it so that programs will save things at another drive? Because I think that my programs on my other drives (i have one 500gb and one 250gb hdds) are saving alot of stuff in "appdata" or what ever thos local files are... and i think after effects are the real thiev here, do you have any experience with after effects taking/saving many temprary and permanent files?


You should be able to tell After Effects to save to a different drive. No recent experience with doing that, but every photo/video application I've ever used (Lightroom/Photoshop/Corel/etc) gives the option of designating alternate target locations.
Somewhere in Preferences, maybe.
m
0
l
December 4, 2013 1:31:44 PM

USAFRet said:
therobin9810 said:
USAFRet said:
See this completely self-serving tutorial that addresses exactly this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1834397/ssd-redirect...


USAFRet said:
A 60GB will kind of work as the boot drive, but you have to actively manage the space, as linked above.


Ok thanks, but can I make it so that programs will save things at another drive? Because I think that my programs on my other drives (i have one 500gb and one 250gb hdds) are saving alot of stuff in "appdata" or what ever thos local files are... and i think after effects are the real thiev here, do you have any experience with after effects taking/saving many temprary and permanent files?


You should be able to tell After Effects to save to a different drive. No recent experience with doing that, but every photo/video application I've ever used (Lightroom/Photoshop/Corel/etc) gives the option of designating alternate target locations.
Somewhere in Preferences, maybe.


Well thanks for your answer, but one last thing... do you think that i should buy another ssd, like a 120gb or buy another hdd to have my os on? i dont really care about loading speed to be honest... :) 
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 91 } Memory
a c 467 * Windows 8
December 4, 2013 1:41:56 PM

therobin9810 said:
USAFRet said:
therobin9810 said:
USAFRet said:
See this completely self-serving tutorial that addresses exactly this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1834397/ssd-redirect...


USAFRet said:
A 60GB will kind of work as the boot drive, but you have to actively manage the space, as linked above.


Ok thanks, but can I make it so that programs will save things at another drive? Because I think that my programs on my other drives (i have one 500gb and one 250gb hdds) are saving alot of stuff in "appdata" or what ever thos local files are... and i think after effects are the real thiev here, do you have any experience with after effects taking/saving many temprary and permanent files?


You should be able to tell After Effects to save to a different drive. No recent experience with doing that, but every photo/video application I've ever used (Lightroom/Photoshop/Corel/etc) gives the option of designating alternate target locations.
Somewhere in Preferences, maybe.


Well thanks for your answer, but one last thing... do you think that i should buy another ssd, like a 120gb or buy another hdd to have my os on? i dont really care about loading speed to be honest... :) 


Well...you could put the OS and applications on the 120, use the 60GB for a scratch drive, and the HDD for a final resting place for files/videos.
Share
!