Will my FX - 6300 bottleneck a r9 280x?

raiderguy92

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
i recently finished my build a month ago or so and well i got cheap on the gpu and got a 5450 to last me until December (i couldnt wait that long to use my pc) and so i have a mager bottleneck by my gpu so i don't know how powerful my cpu is from what ive heard it maxes out on skyrim with 60fps which i think the r9 280x is more powerful then that so do you think i will have a bottleneck ? instead of throwing in 200$ id be better off just getting a good cpu cooler and overclock it? i heard if overclocked to 5ghz ( i didn't think that was possible) it will perform an equivalent of an i5 processor is that true?

Solution
I wouldn't worry about that CPU bottle-necking a 280X. However if you feel comfortable overclocking, get a good cooler and overclock.

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
I'm a voltage wimp with my overclocks. I find the stock chip's max *intended* voltage using VID and then use load line calibration/offset so that my chip gets that voltage (the actual voltage fed to the chip is usually lower than the VID due to V-droop)

I run my chips as fast as they can stably run with stock-speed VID voltage.

raiderguy92

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013

................................you lost me...

Z1NONLY

Distinguished

Sorry.

http://www.overclock.net/t/251112/cpu-vid
"Originally Posted by afzsom View Post
The VID is the "stock" vCore for each chip, and it varies from chip to chip based on Intel's testing procedures. The VID will tell the motherboard: "This is the voltage I require at stock speeds when the VCore setting is on 'Auto' for proper operation." Nothing more. It is said that a lower VID value will yield better overclocks, but nothing's been conclusively proven..."

Basically, I find out what my VID is under full load at stock speeds. (Run a stress test like Intel burn test, while also running HWmonitor which shows VID)

HWmonitor will also show the voltage that is actually going to your chip. Under load, the power section on your motherboard will usually supply less than it's target (VID) voltage. This is called Vdroop.

Load Line Calibration or LLC, is a feature on most aftermarket motherboards that attempts to compensate for vdroop. The downside is that it can cause voltage spikes the moment your remove the load from your CPU (stop running a stress test for instance) At that moment, while your CPU switches from heavy load to a "lighter" idle state, LLC can overshoot target voltage. One of the advantages of using relatively low voltages for my overclocks is that it keeps the voltage spikes lower than most overclockers' 24/7 voltage.

This will make more sense once you read up on overclocking your particular chip and get some hands-on time with the overclocking features of your motherboard.