Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

sharing the internet from 192.168.1.x network to 192.168.0.x network

Last response: in Networking
Share
December 5, 2013 6:26:37 AM

i Have two network with 192.168.1.x and 192.168.0.x, and have internet on 192.168.1.x network, how do i share my net on 192.168.0.x network, Both the networks have a 24 port switch, i have physically connected the two switches with a cable .
a b X LAN
December 5, 2013 10:44:04 AM

You really need a router to make this work. Transfer of data between subnets is the exact definition of a router function.

Since you cabled the networks together you have another option and that is to put all the pc on the 192.168.1.x network that has internet. You can also if you go into the network settings assign ip addresses from both network to the machines so they can be on both at the same time...not that that is a recommended thing to do.

m
0
l
December 6, 2013 3:43:27 AM

bill001g said:
You really need a router to make this work. Transfer of data between subnets is the exact definition of a router function.

Since you cabled the networks together you have another option and that is to put all the pc on the 192.168.1.x network that has internet. You can also if you go into the network settings assign ip addresses from both network to the machines so they can be on both at the same time...not that that is a recommended thing to do.



Bill thanks for the reply but i have an issue ,ie. i can not change the ip address of the others computer from192.168.0.x to 1.x as those pc are connected to a server provided by a company and we are not allowed to change to ip address of it
so i have to go with two different ip address
kindly guide me how can i access net on both the networks with the help of a router
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b X LAN
December 6, 2013 5:23:15 PM

If you just want to share the internet a consumer router will work just put the wan interface on the 192.168.1 network and the lan interface on the 192.168.0 network. Make sure you disable the DHCP on this router but I assume you already have static addresses since you would have massive issues already with 2 network connected they way you did it and dhcp servers.

If you actually want the end machine to be able to communicate you will need a better router. In this case you need a real router, the consumer ones do not pass traffic they NAT all traffic to a single address. The cheapest way to do this is buy a consumer router that you can load dd-wrt on. DD-WRT lets you really route between networks. You would put one lan interface on the 192.168.1 network and another on 192.168.0.x. I would recommend you replace your main internet router. You would have a internet router with 2 lans in effect. It can be done without replacing you main router but then you quickly run into how do the machine know which router to talk to to reach things.
Share
December 7, 2013 7:31:09 AM

Mohsindgreat said:
bill001g said:
You really need a router to make this work. Transfer of data between subnets is the exact definition of a router function. Since you cabled the networks together you have another option and that is to put all the pc on the 192.168.1.x network that has internet. You can also if you go into the network settings assign ip addresses from both network to the machines so they can be on both at the same time...not that that is a recommended thing to do.
Bill thanks for the reply but i have an issue ,ie. i can not change the ip address of the others computer from192.168.0.x to 1.x as those pc are connected to a server provided by a company and we are not allowed to change to ip address of it so i have to go with two different ip address kindly guide me how can i access net on both the networks with the help of a router
bill001g said:
If you just want to share the internet a consumer router will work just put the wan interface on the 192.168.1 network and the lan interface on the 192.168.0 network. Make sure you disable the DHCP on this router but I assume you already have static addresses since you would have massive issues already with 2 network connected they way you did it and dhcp servers. If you actually want the end machine to be able to communicate you will need a better router. In this case you need a real router, the consumer ones do not pass traffic they NAT all traffic to a single address. The cheapest way to do this is buy a consumer router that you can load dd-wrt on. DD-WRT lets you really route between networks. You would put one lan interface on the 192.168.1 network and another on 192.168.0.x. I would recommend you replace your main internet router. You would have a internet router with 2 lans in effect. It can be done without replacing you main router but then you quickly run into how do the machine know which router to talk to to reach things.
Thank you bill I think I need to get a real router can you suggest one for me and the can you explain the procedure to use it a bit clearly and thanks again I think this is going to solve my problem and thank you once again for updating my knowledge
m
0
l
!