Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

MSI GTX 760 OC 2GB or MSI GTX 760 OC 4GB

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 5, 2013 12:12:14 PM

Hi,

I am thinking of getting a new graphics card and so have decided on a MSI GTX 760. The only problem is, is that there is a 2GB and 4GB version and I don't know which to get! The price is no matter since I don't mind paying the extra £40 for the 4GB.

I would be gaming in 1080p on a single 60Hz monitor, I play games like Battlefield 3 and am thinking of getting BF4 when the price drops.

Some people say the the 256 bit bus cant handle the 4GB of VRAM to its full potential, and others say that the extra RAM is only good for playing on multiple monitors.

One final question, I only have 4GB or RAM on my PC, do you think this will cause a bottleneck?

MSI GTX 2GB



MSI GTX 4GB

a b U Graphics card
December 5, 2013 12:24:41 PM

2gb would suffice no need for 4!
m
0
l
December 5, 2013 12:26:28 PM

_Vass said:
2gb would suffice no need for 4!


but i want to future proof the card as much as possible and todays games reccommend 2gb of mem so next gen games will surely require 4?
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

December 5, 2013 12:28:05 PM

The 4gb of memory would only be used in higher resoultions. If you are planning on playing at 1080p the 2gb should be perfectly fine. However the 4gb would not be a bad investment if you are planning on playing on multiple monitors or higher resolutions in the future. Now for your ram, if you are using this PC for gaming 8gb of ram is a must! To put this into perspective for your most games now a days run anywhere from 2 to 4 gbs of ram. Your OS runs at about 2 as well. With 4gb's of ram, the ram will be allocated to your OS and less will be allocated to the game causing performance drop. So it will for sure bottleneck. If you are on a budget I would recommend the 2gb version and then putting the remaining money into another 4gb stick of ram. There is really no point in the 4gb of memory unless you are planning on playing on multiple monitors or higher res's on the near future.
Share
December 5, 2013 12:29:42 PM

SlaKer440 said:
The 4gb of memory would only be used in higher resoultions. If you are planning on playing at 1080p the 2gb should be perfectly fine. However the 4gb would not be a bad investment if you are planning on playing on multiple monitors or higher resolutions in the future. Now for your ram, if you are using this PC for gaming 8gb of ram is a must! To put this into perspective for your most games now a days run anywhere from 2 to 4 gbs of ram. Your OS runs at about 2 as well. With 4gb's of ram, the ram will be allocated to your OS and less will be allocated to the game causing performance drop. So it will for sure bottleneck. If you are on a budget I would recommend the 2gb version and then putting the remaining money into another 4gb stick of ram. There is really no point in the 4gb of memory unless you are planning on playing on multiple monitors or higher res's on the near future.



Thanks for the great and spedy answer!
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 5, 2013 12:31:33 PM

V15VA said:
_Vass said:
2gb would suffice no need for 4!


but i want to future proof the card as much as possible and todays games reccommend 2gb of mem so next gen games will surely require 4?


yea 4gb is more future proof, question is; is it worth it? i don't think so as only a few games right now exceed the 2gb, and that is on highest settings. you most likely won't have a playable frame rate anyway if the game need more than 2gb, because the 760 won't powerfull enough. the 760 with 2gb has a good vram-gpu ratio
m
0
l
December 5, 2013 12:32:49 PM

_Vass said:
V15VA said:
_Vass said:
2gb would suffice no need for 4!


but i want to future proof the card as much as possible and todays games reccommend 2gb of mem so next gen games will surely require 4?


yea 4gb is more future proof, question is; is it worth it? i don't think so as only a few games right now exceed the 2gb, and that is on highest settings. you most likely won't have a playable frame rate anyway if the game need more than 2gb, because the 760 won't powerfull enough. the 760 with 2gb has a good vram-gpu ratio


Thanks!
m
0
l
December 5, 2013 12:35:08 PM

V15VA said:
SlaKer440 said:
The 4gb of memory would only be used in higher resoultions. If you are planning on playing at 1080p the 2gb should be perfectly fine. However the 4gb would not be a bad investment if you are planning on playing on multiple monitors or higher resolutions in the future. Now for your ram, if you are using this PC for gaming 8gb of ram is a must! To put this into perspective for your most games now a days run anywhere from 2 to 4 gbs of ram. Your OS runs at about 2 as well. With 4gb's of ram, the ram will be allocated to your OS and less will be allocated to the game causing performance drop. So it will for sure bottleneck. If you are on a budget I would recommend the 2gb version and then putting the remaining money into another 4gb stick of ram. There is really no point in the 4gb of memory unless you are planning on playing on multiple monitors or higher res's on the near future.

No problem :) 

Thanks for the great and spedy answer!


m
0
l
!