Solved

Need advice on Video card within budget of 400$

My cousin is trying to get a best bang for the buck at 400$ his main goal is BF4 or just gaming.
I know there is alot of mixed reviews between ATI and NVIDIA design he just would like to have a decent card and he will get better psu if Required here is his setup, I would greatly appreciate any input, thank you very much in advance!
CPU: I7-3770k
MOBO: ASUS P8Z77-V
RAM: Corsair Vengance 16GB 2x8GB DDR3-1866
DRIVES: SSD Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SATA III 2.5 SH103S3/120
PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty 550W Modular Gaming Power Supply
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about advice video card budget 400
  1. r9 280x or for the nvidia fanboys a 770. the 290 may fit into your budget but the reference cooler sucks
  2. r9 280x is the better deal here... tho you'll have to snag one from the clutches of bitcoin miners...
  3. Best answer
    R9 280X is $300, 770 is $340ish. His budget is $400. I'd suggest getting the R9 290 though make sure you have good cooling because they are no reference coolers out there.

    The 770 Performs better than the 280X in 1k-2k resolutions(1080p+) Though the R9 280x will perform better than the 770 above 2k resolutions because of the 3GB of VRAM compared to 2.

    So its up to you 770 for 1080p gaming
    R9 280X for resolutions above 2k

    Oh yeah your current PSU won't really power either of the cards. A better built 550W PSU could do the job if it has enough amps but your current PSU nope its just reaching 80 plus not even a bronze. Won't really cut it for either the 280x or 770

    See here: http://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/printer/power-requirements-for-graphics-cards
  4. _Vass said:
    r9 280x or for the nvidia fanboys a 770. the 290 may fit into your budget but the reference cooler sucks

    I read alot of reviews on r9 and it seems to run hot however I read somewhere they were designed to run up to 95 degrees np ?
  5. The whole R9 series runs hot tbh. I would also recommend the 280x and maybe use the rest of the budget to upgrade the PSU in the near future. Do you guys think 550 is enough?
  6. ALPINESTAR said:
    _Vass said:
    r9 280x or for the nvidia fanboys a 770. the 290 may fit into your budget but the reference cooler sucks

    I read alot of reviews on r9 and it seems to run hot however I read somewhere they were designed to run up to 95 degrees np ?


    the 280x won't overheat unless you do some serious overclocking. the 290 tho.... it runs very hot because the reference cooler(only option right now) sucks(yea litteraly) and it makes the gpu throttle.
  7. BlankInsanity said:
    R9 280X is $300, 770 is $340ish. His budget is $400. I'd suggest getting the R9 290 though make sure you have good cooling because they are no reference coolers out there.

    The 770 Performs better than the 280X in 1k-2k resolutions(1080p+) Though the R9 280x will perform better than the 770 above 2k resolutions because of the 3GB of VRAM compared to 2.

    So its up to you 770 for 1080p gaming
    R9 280X for resolutions above 2k

    Oh yeah your current PSU won't really power either of the cards. A better built 550W PSU could do the job if it has enough amps but your current PSU nope its just reaching 80 plus not even a bronze. Won't really cut it for either the 280x or 770

    See here: http://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/printer/power-requirements-for-graphics-cards

    well thanks for the input , What would you suggest for PSU for this setup with good rating on the budget ?
  8. _Vass said:
    ALPINESTAR said:
    _Vass said:
    r9 280x or for the nvidia fanboys a 770. the 290 may fit into your budget but the reference cooler sucks

    I read alot of reviews on r9 and it seems to run hot however I read somewhere they were designed to run up to 95 degrees np ?


    the 280x won't overheat unless you do some serious overclocking. the 290 tho.... it runs very hot because the reference cooler(only option right now) sucks(yea litteraly) and it makes the gpu throttle.

    I See, I guess i'll let him look at the post and pick what he wants to do.
  9. I'd suggest...

    the XFX 650W(80 PLus Bronze):http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207022

    Or a more expensive yet better built,
    HX 650W: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139012

    Oh just saw the prices and they're both the same I'd get the HX 650W then if I were you.

    R9 280X + HX 650W roughly $419 bucks
  10. I would recommend the XFX 650W actually. They are basically just rebranded seasonic PSU's. Seasonic is a very high end company. However the Corsair one is 80 plus gold and the XFX is bronze so your choice although the rankings don't make a huge difference. They are only effiecency rankings.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics