Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
First, current hardware
Intel q6600 2.4 GHz
4GB DDR2
Asrock 4coredual-VSTA
Corsair CX600 600W PSU
Geforce 9800 GT

I bought a Powercolor 7870 on sale to replace the 9800 GT as the first step in updating this ancient PC. I uninstalled the Geforce drivers and swapped cards. Hit the power button, fans spin up but no POST beep and the monitor stays blank. At the time I had an old 550w PSU and with some digging realized 28A wasn't enough to run the card.

After replacing the PSU, tried again with no luck. Checked for any BIOS updates to no avail, I have the most recent version (from 2008). I tried installing Catalyst drivers before uninstalling the Geforce drivers again and still nothing. Last ditch attempt was to pull the HDMI cord from my Xbox and use it instead of the DVI. Not only did it not post but the monitor said "No HDMI signal found."

Could this be an issue simply with the age of the motherboard and what I think is a PCI-E 1.1 slot that runs in x4? Or did I actually get a DOA card? I'm looking for opinions before I waste time sending it back if the problem is on my end.

Solution
Your MB does not support the card's PCIE 3.0 requirement. Please read (http://www.overclock.net/a/the-final-answer-to-the-controversial-pcie-x16-version-compatibility). If you want to use that or almost any recent video card you need to update your MB. And that will most likely also be a CPU and memory upgrade.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Your MB does not support the card's PCIE 3.0 requirement. Please read (http://www.overclock.net/a/the-final-answer-to-the-controversial-pcie-x16-version-compatibility). If you want to use that or almost any recent video card you need to update your MB. And that will most likely also be a CPU and memory upgrade.

Solution
Unfortunately, he'd also have to replace the CPU and memory as well with any newer motherboard. And probably Windows as well since it's tied to the motherboard usually. I've heard some people reporting activating on newer motherboards from old Windows despite Microsoft's info saying the requirement of the SAME CHIPSET on the motherboard so I'm not sure about that.

So what's the cheapest we can upgrade that's half decent?

HERE: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DUqP

For $223, you can get the following components:

1) FX-6300 CPU
2) Asus M5A97 LE 2.0 Motherboard
3) 8GB DDR3 memory (1866MHz, 2x4GB kit, G. Skill)

*WARNING: need 64-bit Windows to use 8GB of memory but get 8GB regardless as for some strange reason 4GB costs the same amount. You saved about $15 if you get 2x2GB of 1333MHz, but 1866MHz was the same price. What?

If you do require to BUY a new copy of Windows then get:
a) Windows 8 64-bit OEM ($90), and
b) START8 from Stardock ($5) and adjust the settings to disable CHARMS BAR in the desktop etc.

Installing Windows:
You would have to reinstall Windows with a new motherboard, so..

1. Reinstall the old card and BACKUP everything you need to another drive
2. Install the new hardware
3. Install Windows
4. go to motherboard support site to install the MAIN CHIPSET and other drivers
5. AMD for video card drivers
6. Programs, etc..

Update:
You need to be careful that the motherboard supports the chosen CPU without the need to flash the BIOS (except for some boards that support the ability to flash without a CPU).

For example, you need BIOS 1006 or greater to support the FX-6300 but I think newer versions of the board already have this BIOS. It's something you MUST investigate carefully though.

I should leave it there, I'll help more if needed.

I don't personally think that he should invest only $223 if he does want to get a new CPU, mobo and RAM.
I mean they'll just get outdated again.
More like $450-500.
i5-3570/4xxx CPU(k if overclocking)
gigabyte h 77/87 chipset (z if overclocking)
8 GB DDR3 RAM

DrunkTurtl3

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
Thanks guys. Can't believe in all the hours I spent searching I never ran across that PCI-E compatibility writeup. photonboy that's pretty much what I was looking at for the rest of the upgrades, just with an MSI 970A-G46 board through a CPU/mobo combo deal. I've been tossing around getting the 6350 instead for $20 more. Do you think it would make any noticeable difference?

No need to worry about Windows. I cobbled this current setup together from spare parts and bought a copy of Windows 7

DrunkTurtl3

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
Thanks guys. Can't believe in all the hours I spent searching I never ran across that PCI-E compatibility writeup. photonboy that's pretty much what I was looking at for the rest of the upgrades, just with an MSI 970A-G46 board through a CPU/mobo combo deal. I've been tossing around getting the 6350 instead for $20 more. Do you think it would make any noticeable difference?

No need to worry about Windows. I cobbled this current setup together from spare parts and bought a copy of Windows 7 64-bit to last a while.

DrunkTurtl3

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013

I wish I had $500 to spend on just this. Don't let the 7870 fool you it was $130 on Newegg plus a $30 MIR and my total budget is around $400.

The Turbo speed difference is 2.4% compared to the FX-6300 meaning very, very little real-world difference.

Again, the problem of CPU compatibility is with the MSI board as well as it requires a BIOS flash. Here's the list: http://www.msi.com/product/mb/970A-G46.html#/?div=CPUSupport (v76931A for the FX-6300/6350)

I'm guessing recent motherboards get manufactured with the then latest BIOS, but you need to contact MSI to find out how to confirm this.

I'm not quite sure how good that MSI board is for reliability, but I'd still recommend the Asus instead though neither are top-end products of course.

Wait..
So you have $300 to spend on the Motherboard/CPU/RAM ?

If so, I advise you to get THIS motherboard from Asus instead which supports USB BIOS FLASHBACK to flash the BIOS with no CPU or memory installed (and it's a little better board): http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A99FX_PRO_R20/

Here's my revised parts list which includes a good CPU COOLER: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1Futo

This Asus board also got a "Smart Buy" and can overclock fairly well which indicates better stability than many lower-priced boards especially the MSI you linked which overclocks very poorly (and has been reported to die when overclocking).

Review link: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/990fx-motherboard-review-amd-fx,3464-20.html

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Money is always the factor in an upgrade like this. I would suggest that you put your old card back in. Use the old system until you get a bit more money. You are close. With $400 you can spend: $50-60 on 8gig memory; $180 on an Intel i5-3350P and $150 on an Asus Z87 Plus MB. With the new card you have a very capable system for games and productivity. If you spend $220 on an i5-3570K you get a cpu that can be over clocked. Both cpu come with a cooler that will be ok for now. You can add a better cooling solution at a later date if you want (you will want if you O.C. the better cpu). The improvement over what you have will be amazing. If you got a good deal on the new video card keep it or return it if it will give you enough money to upgrade the MB, Memory and CPU. You can always use the old card with them. BTW all prices are rounded and are a guide, you may find lower ones. Amazon and Google are your friend. Buy only new not refurb.

If you can afford an i5-4670K setup it really is a great idea (basically same as i5-3570K but slightly better. I just provided parts that fit your budget in my (oh you have $300? link above). An i5-4670K would then handle a much better card in the future without the bottlenecking of a lesser CPU. In fact, it would work better now with "just" an HD7870.

Here's an EXAMPLE of an i5, motherboard, RAM, and CPU heatsink: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1KSbs

That combo of motherboard/CPU can be had for $40 less if you have access to a Microcenter (see the COMBO).

But his PSU is not haswell compatible.
ivy bridge is not a too bad CPU.
he should stick with that.