FX 8120 bottleneck a crossfire of 2 HD7770s ?

hunter86_bg

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
Hello guys, I have a FX 8120 which performs well both with old and new games. Sadly my mobo is not so good / and MOSFET is keep throttling the CPU when I OC/ and as a result I can rely only on AMD's Turbo to get it to 4Ghz. I play a very GPU demanding game which on top of that is Single Threaded. Yes, You read it correctly -single thread. I have tested the game with stock and turbo speeds and I see no difference.
So, my main question is - will this CPU bottleneck 2 HD7770s /stock OC/ or it can cope with them and I can get a second GPU really cheap.

hunter86_bg

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
Well ... That's good to hear ,because upgrading from Asrock FX990 Extreme 3 to Extreme 9 will be more costly than the GPU upgrade.
Edit: Turbo Frequency is 4Ghz and I think I can up it a little bit . It's not the CPU cooling that stops me. I have OCed the CPU up to 4Ghz but the MOSFET is still thermal throttling / I removed the stock heatsink and put a Thermalright HR-09 U type2 heatsink/. Having in mind the game is using 1 / sometimes 2 threads/ I can stay on default clocks and use the turbo.

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
In older cpu demanding games the 8120 will struggle a little. Shouldn't be too bad though. It has the single core performance of a lower-mid range Celeron or Pentium.
You would see an big increase by upgrading to a FX 4300, a huge increase by upgrading to a FX 6300, and a tremendous increase by upgrading to a FX 8350.