Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Building first pc - how to know if the parts are compatible?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Compatibility
  • Components
Last response: in Components
Share
December 7, 2013 2:58:42 AM

Is it really just the case of checking each socket fit and that the CPU and the motherboard are the same brand???

More about : building parts compatible

a b V Motherboard
December 7, 2013 3:15:22 AM

Warnings when buying parts:

Make sure you have a sufficient psu for your pc build and don't get a cheap one as it can explode under full load.

Make sure that you cpu does not bottleneck your gpu, this is very important in terms of gaming performance.

The cpu must fit the socket that is on the motherboard for e.g:

I5 4670k = lga 1150 socket.

This means your motherboard must be have a socket that supports 1150 cpus.

So if I were to buy an in 4670k I'd need a z87 mobo, h81 mobo, b85 mobo or a h87 mobo.
So an i5 4670k with a MSI z87 - g45 mobo would be a good match as the cpu supports the motherboard.


Get a case that can supports the size of your motherboard and gpu, so if you got a mAtx mobo you'd need an mAtx case or higher.

When buying ram you need to get ram this of the same speed.

Lastly, before you buy parts research them to see how good they are.


m
0
l
December 7, 2013 5:09:52 AM

I'm aware now of making sure the CPU and the mobo are compatible via the sockets and this is pretty easy.

It seems the graphics card is the same you just have to check that it matches the correct socket on the mobo?

I have a monitor, a 430w corsair cx430 psu, keyboard and mouse.

I need mobo, cpu, cpu fan, graphics card, processor, hard drive and dvd drive.

It will mainly be used for just normal stuff like browsing the internet etc etc but I do want to do a little bit of gaming, what budget is a reasonable price for an amateur gaming pc?



m
0
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
December 7, 2013 5:13:45 AM

To fit a gpu you need a pie 1.0,2.0 or 3.0 and these are all on mobos.

I'll put together a build for but I need to know your maximum budget?
m
0
l
December 7, 2013 9:38:19 AM

What does pie stand for?

Budget is 250-300 pounds, just enough to play games like call of duty and be fast for browsing etc.

I have monitor, 430w psu, monitor, mouse, etc etc... just need the parts inside tower.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
December 7, 2013 9:49:24 AM

I meant to say pcie which stands for "peripheral components interconnect express" it is the slot on the motherboard where you can install expansion cards such as a sound card or graphics card or an Internet card.

And ill be back in a bit with a build.
Share
a b V Motherboard
December 7, 2013 10:16:51 AM

Actually this would be better:
It can run games on high/ultra

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2gwSw



CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£69.99 @ Maplin Electronics)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£29.99 @ Novatech)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (£53.49 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£36.00 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card (£119.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (£38.64 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £348.10
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-07 18:15 GMT+0000)
m
0
l
December 8, 2013 1:05:45 PM

@Welshstig

Thanks very much for helping me, I have signed up to overclockers too and asked for help from there too as I don't want to run before I can walk if you know what I mean.

I noticed the mobo socket is am3+ and the processor is am3/am2+ does that mean they are compatible or not I am confused???

Also may I ask in regards to cases how do I know if one is big enough?
m
0
l
December 8, 2013 1:26:51 PM

Radek1992 said:
@Welshstig

Thanks very much for helping me, I have signed up to overclockers too and asked for help from there too as I don't want to run before I can walk if you know what I mean.

I noticed the mobo socket is am3+ and the processor is am3/am2+ does that mean they are compatible or not I am confused???

Also may I ask in regards to cases how do I know if one is big enough?


AM3 is not compatible with AM3+ or AM2+ because they are different sockets and just make sure it has right form factor (Mini-ITX smallest, Micro-ATX medium, ATX big). Also if you have an ATX case it is compatible with Mini-ITX and Micro-ATX and so on. Also make sure the case enough slots for your cards and overall enough slots for things.
m
0
l
December 8, 2013 1:34:07 PM

Quote:
"I really like http://www.ebuyer.com/160915-casecom-ma-1199-shiny-blac... but don't know if it will be big enough???"

What parts are you gonna use with it and I would personally suggest you Fractal Design Core 1000. It's mATX, comes with one 120mm fan and has total slots for one 120mm and 92mm more and is generally good and only costs about 40€.
m
0
l
December 8, 2013 2:03:37 PM

So Turtvaiz the setup Welshstig gave me will not work then as the sockets are different?? That's how I took it anyways...yup I like the Fractal Design Core 1000.

m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
December 8, 2013 2:04:51 PM

Actually a lot of am3+ motherboards supports the AM3 socket, but if you want change the motherboard to an asrock extreme 3 and 800 series one.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
December 8, 2013 2:10:35 PM

And the motherboard in my build supports both am3 and am3+. So when you want to upgrade your cpu you upgrade to an FX 6xxx/8xxx.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
December 8, 2013 2:26:42 PM

Here if you are worried and want to be on the safe side go for this, no performance difference and will 100% work:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£69.99 @ Maplin Electronics)
Motherboard: MSI 880GMS-E35 Micro ATX AM3 Motherboard (£29.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (£53.49 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£36.00 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card (£119.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (£38.64 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £347.70
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-08 22:24 GMT+0000)
m
0
l
December 8, 2013 2:35:34 PM

Welshstig said:
Here if you are worried and want to be on the safe side go for this, no performance difference and will 100% work:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£69.99 @ Maplin Electronics)
Motherboard: MSI 880GMS-E35 Micro ATX AM3 Motherboard (£29.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (£53.49 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£36.00 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card (£119.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (£38.64 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £347.70
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-08 22:24 GMT+0000)


You don't see specs like these mentioned too often. It's usually either an AMD FX-xxxx or Intel Core i5 around that price range. How does this one differ and yet keep such a low price? This was the setup I was thinking about for gaming:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2h8o3

Which setup is better?
m
0
l
December 8, 2013 2:50:13 PM

rcf the cpu u choose is better than the build above but the sappher card and evega card are very mcuh alike hard to decide
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
December 8, 2013 3:00:36 PM

Of course your one would be better since you spending nearly£470 on it and im only spending £350 on it.

I chose the X4 965 cpu as it has a very good reputation and a great cpu in all and it won't bottleneck the gpu.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
December 8, 2013 3:03:22 PM

Even though my build is cheaper it is still better for gaming as the 7870 is so much better than 650ti, the 7870 compares to the 660/660ti.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
December 8, 2013 3:12:03 PM

So go for the build I suggested as it would beat the one ref posted in terms of gaming performance.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
December 8, 2013 3:12:05 PM

So go for the build I suggested as it would beat the one ref posted in terms of gaming performance.
m
0
l
December 9, 2013 8:24:08 AM

Welshstig said:
So go for the build I suggested as it would beat the one ref posted in terms of gaming performance.


Thanks, I'll consider it. One thing though, looking at your last list, the motherboard's memory tye is DDR3-800/1066/1333 while you selected a DDR3-2133 RAM. Will this not cause problems? Can you recommend a good power supply for that setup? Your list doesn't have one atm.

I might go with that setup but take the AMD FX-6300 instead of the Phenox x4 965.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
December 9, 2013 8:57:49 AM

Ok Here is the final build that WILL be compatible and good for gaming GO FOR IT :)  :
Here ill help both of you out,

Build for "RCFProd":

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2hDDx
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2hDDx/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2hDDx/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor (£83.72 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£43.00 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£53.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£36.00 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card (£119.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (£38.64 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£39.92 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £415.26
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-09 16:54 GMT+0000)

Build for "Radek":

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2hDLh
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2hDLh/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2hDLh/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor (£83.72 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£43.00 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£53.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£36.00 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card (£119.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (£38.64 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £375.34
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-09 16:56 GMT+0000)
m
0
l
December 9, 2013 10:05:51 AM

Welshstig said:
Ok Here is the final build that WILL be compatible and good for gaming GO FOR IT :)  :
Here ill help both of you out,

Build for "RCFProd":

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2hDDx
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2hDDx/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2hDDx/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor (£83.72 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£43.00 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£53.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£36.00 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card (£119.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (£38.64 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£39.92 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £415.26
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-09 16:54 GMT+0000)

Build for "Radek":

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2hDLh
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2hDLh/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2hDLh/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor (£83.72 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£43.00 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£53.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£36.00 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card (£119.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (£38.64 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £375.34
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-09 16:56 GMT+0000)


Thanks again. Found a pre-made one with an FX-6300 for only 340 euros, which is 285 pounds. The language of the following link is Dutch but you can still view the specs:

http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/computers-en-software/deskt...

Should I consider buying that one and get the Sapphire 7870 2gb seperately? Will be a good deal I think but I'll let you look first!
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
December 9, 2013 10:40:41 AM

It looks good but the power supply is what I'm unsure of and since it is in a different country I don't know the brand very well, get it and upgrade the gpu and psu if necessary, or build one for probably cheaper.
m
0
l
December 9, 2013 10:57:30 AM

Welshstig said:
It looks good but the power supply is what I'm unsure of and since it is in a different country I don't know the brand very well, get it and upgrade the gpu and psu if necessary, or build one for probably cheaper.


The site Itself has a suprisingly good reputation, it will be difficult to build one that's cheaper. I can actually just sell the Radeon ATI 3000 aftering replacing it which only makes it cheaper too but I'll seperately look for the parts first.

Thanks. You've been a good help :) 
m
0
l
!