Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Building new computer: What do y'all think?

Last response: in Components
Share
December 7, 2013 9:12:49 AM

I'm about to build my first computer, and I've been doing a lot of research. However, there's still a ton of stuff I don't know. Here's a list of the parts I'm considering:

Case: Rosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
MB: MSI FM2-A85XA-G65 FM2 AMD A85X (Hudson D4) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD
CPU: AMD A10-6800K Richland 4.1GHz (4.4GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 100W Quad-Core
GPU: MSI R9 270X GAMING 2G Radeon R9 270X 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0
PS: Rosewill CAPSTONE-650 650W Continuous @ 50°C, Intel Haswell Ready, 80 PLUS GOLD
Ram: Team Xtreem LV 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 2.5" 120GB
Drive: LG Black Blu-ray Drive SATA

First, I was wondering whether or not I would be bottlenecking in any area (I know that the PS is probably overkill but it will be nice to keep for a future cpu). Also, my GPU has a PCI express 3.0 interface and my MB only has PCI Express 2.0 x 16. I've heard that it is still compatible with little to no lag, so any confirmation on that would be appreciated. Besides that, any comments or points of view would also be appreciated. Thanks guys!

More about : building computer

a b À AMD
December 7, 2013 9:19:53 AM

Do not get a A10 with a discrete GPU. Instead get a fx-8320 + 970 mobo.
That PSU ...choose another. Please get a Seasonic, XFX, or Corsair one.
Do you need 2400 RAM, why not 1866?

What country are you buying in?
Don't get a A10.
m
0
l
December 7, 2013 9:38:36 AM

envy14tpe said:
Do not get a A10 with a discrete GPU. Instead get a fx-8320 + 970 mobo.
That PSU ...choose another. Please get a Seasonic, XFX, or Corsair one.
Do you need 2400 RAM, why not 1866?

What country are you buying in?
Don't get a A10.


Well honestly I'm not sure I can afford the fx-8320. Does the A10 not work well with discrete gpu or is it just underpowered for my setup? What is wrong with that PSU? Well I figured the faster RAM the better but like I said, I'm kind of a noob. I was planning on buying from NewEgg and I'm in the U.S.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b À AMD
December 7, 2013 9:50:00 AM

The A10 is best when it doesn't have a discrete GPU. It excels when you don't use a discrete one. As for RAM, get 1866. Any more and you are wasting money. PSU, here is a cheaper and semi-modular one.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2gw2Y
CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($69.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($52.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $305.95
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
m
0
l
December 7, 2013 10:14:45 AM

envy14tpe said:
Do not get a A10 with a discrete GPU. Instead get a fx-8320 + 970 mobo.
That PSU ...choose another. Please get a Seasonic, XFX, or Corsair one.
Do you need 2400 RAM, why not 1866?

What country are you buying in?
Don't get a A10.


Nevermind, I was clearly looking at the wrong CPU when I made that last post. Is the fx-8350 a little better?
m
0
l
December 7, 2013 10:18:07 AM

envy14tpe said:
The A10 is best when it doesn't have a discrete GPU. It excels when you don't use a discrete one. As for RAM, get 1866. Any more and you are wasting money. PSU, here is a cheaper and semi-modular one.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2gw2Y
CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($69.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($52.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $305.95
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)


Wow, thanks a lot for all the info. If I can afford the fx-8350 would that be a better choice?
m
0
l
a b À AMD
December 7, 2013 10:19:34 AM

The 8350 is better. BUT and a huge BUT, if you get the 8320 you'll save $60-70. And that means you can spend more money on your cooler and GPU. Also, the 8320 overclocks to almost the same as the 8350. It's amazing really. By far, the 8320 is the best bang for buck CPU on the market.
m
0
l
December 7, 2013 10:41:18 AM

envy14tpe said:
The 8350 is better. BUT and a huge BUT, if you get the 8320 you'll save $60-70. And that means you can spend more money on your cooler and GPU. Also, the 8320 overclocks to almost the same as the 8350. It's amazing really. By far, the 8320 is the best bang for buck CPU on the market.


Okay, that all makes sense to me. Do I need a cooler? Thanks for all the info man, you're really helping me not be an idiot and waste my money (which I really have very little of).
m
0
l

Best solution

a b À AMD
December 7, 2013 11:13:13 AM

What you want to look for is:
PSU: plenty of power (AMD consumes more, its ok, just plan for it) and semi modular PSU if possible.
Cooler: Evo is great for decent overclocking.
SSD: Samsung EVO is newer and excellent. I know I just bought one.
HDD: 1TB is like $10 more. It's worth it, trust me. You'll never regret it.
GPU: The 760 can max out most games (not BF4 or Crysis3) but it's excellent.
Fans: Very important investment. You'll learn that quietness is key.

What do you think? Is this too expensive or ok?
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2gyvA
CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.97 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.93 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($42.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $805.79
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
Share
December 7, 2013 3:25:13 PM

envy14tpe said:
What you want to look for is:
PSU: plenty of power (AMD consumes more, its ok, just plan for it) and semi modular PSU if possible.
Cooler: Evo is great for decent overclocking.
SSD: Samsung EVO is newer and excellent. I know I just bought one.
HDD: 1TB is like $10 more. It's worth it, trust me. You'll never regret it.
GPU: The 760 can max out most games (not BF4 or Crysis3) but it's excellent.
Fans: Very important investment. You'll learn that quietness is key.

What do you think? Is this too expensive or ok?
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2gyvA
CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.97 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.93 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($42.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $805.79
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)


Wow. that actually sounds like the pc I was looking to build. I want a good one, but I understand I can't afford a pc that will run all the newest games on max. This looks like an awesome build, and it's cheaper than the one I was going to get. Do you know a good tutorial for setting up what portions save to the ssd and what saves to the hdd? And should this be organized at setup or after setup? I really appreciate all the help.
m
0
l
a b À AMD
December 7, 2013 7:01:24 PM

The important thing in setting up SSD to remember is to only plug in the SSD. HDDs will wait until system works. Just boot from the Windows disc and in the BIOS set it to AHCI and let it go. You don't need to partition a SSD like you do a HDD.

I don't know any specific tutorial. I just watched and read a lot and compiled the information. Make a step by step procedure so you don't forget anything.
m
0
l
!