Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Basics Of Buying An SSD? What Specs To Look For? SLC or MLC? Controllers? Brands?

Last response: in Storage
Share
December 7, 2013 9:39:46 AM

Pretty much exactly as the title says, I'm trying to sort through SSDs and their specs. Considering just how much information is available when reviewing SSDs, it's difficult to set any kind of parameters on exactly what I want. Do I value SLC, or random read/write? Is it worth spending an extra ~$20 on an Intel as opposed to an OCZ? How much space do I need if I plan to use an SSD as my only storage? (This pc will be used for gaming only, think of it as analogous to a console)

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to offer some advice!
a c 815 G Storage
December 7, 2013 9:51:18 AM

1. Don't buy an OCZ. They are currently going through bankruptcy. Toshiba is evidently buying that segment, but I wouldn't.
2. For an only drive....it's up to you and how much space you need. Games can be quite large.
3. Samsung 840 EVO
m
0
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
December 7, 2013 9:57:40 AM

slc is way too expensive and not worth it.

i like the samsungs too, but perhaps the pro version if you have the budget for it. samsung has the advantage of doing everything themselves (controller, flash cells, assembly). apart from samsung only intel (if you dont count their own sanforce ssd-s) and sandisk are using their own flash/controlllers.

for a single ssd for everything... i'd say you need atleast 250gb maybe even 500. but it will cost.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
December 7, 2013 12:24:18 PM

if you're currently using a hdd it doesnt matter which ssd you choose to be honest. the performance jump will feel huge. between each ssd the differences are much smaller. check out the best ssd for the money article i sent above it will help you decide. at the last page there's a tier table with each ssd
m
0
l
a c 815 G Storage
December 7, 2013 12:37:38 PM

dragonborn123 said:
So what kind of random read/write speeds should I look for? What about IOPS?

Also, here's an SSD I was considering, is it any good and why?

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-128GB-Series-Internal-HDT...


I would go with a different one. The Samsung EVO mentioned above, for instance.
But going from an HDD to an SDD....between different SSD drives you're looking at an 800% increase vs an 803% increase. They aren't that much different.

What size are you considering?
m
0
l
December 7, 2013 6:18:47 PM

USAFRet said:
dragonborn123 said:
So what kind of random read/write speeds should I look for? What about IOPS?

Also, here's an SSD I was considering, is it any good and why?

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-128GB-Series-Internal-HDT...


I would go with a different one. The Samsung EVO mentioned above, for instance.
But going from an HDD to an SDD....between different SSD drives you're looking at an 800% increase vs an 803% increase. They aren't that much different.

What size are you considering?


I'm thinking 120-180 gbs, but I'm really looking to spend ~$100 max. Obviously that means waiting for a deal if I want an 180gb, but I thought I should do my homework ahead of time rather than scramble after finding the perfect offer.
m
0
l
a c 815 G Storage
December 7, 2013 6:28:15 PM

dragonborn123 said:
USAFRet said:
dragonborn123 said:
So what kind of random read/write speeds should I look for? What about IOPS?

Also, here's an SSD I was considering, is it any good and why?

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-128GB-Series-Internal-HDT...


I would go with a different one. The Samsung EVO mentioned above, for instance.
But going from an HDD to an SDD....between different SSD drives you're looking at an 800% increase vs an 803% increase. They aren't that much different.

What size are you considering?


I'm thinking 120-180 gbs, but I'm really looking to spend ~$100 max. Obviously that means waiting for a deal if I want an 180gb, but I thought I should do my homework ahead of time rather than scramble after finding the perfect offer.


A 120 will work just fine, but not as the only drive.
m
0
l
December 7, 2013 6:50:11 PM

USAFRet said:
dragonborn123 said:
USAFRet said:
dragonborn123 said:
So what kind of random read/write speeds should I look for? What about IOPS?

Also, here's an SSD I was considering, is it any good and why?

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-128GB-Series-Internal-HDT...


I would go with a different one. The Samsung EVO mentioned above, for instance.
But going from an HDD to an SDD....between different SSD drives you're looking at an 800% increase vs an 803% increase. They aren't that much different.

What size are you considering?


I'm thinking 120-180 gbs, but I'm really looking to spend ~$100 max. Obviously that means waiting for a deal if I want an 180gb, but I thought I should do my homework ahead of time rather than scramble after finding the perfect offer.


A 120 will work just fine, but not as the only drive.


Well, when I say only drive, I really mean the primary drive. Currently I'm using an old laptop drive (1TB, 5400 RPM), plus I have a fairly high quality 1TB external hard drive. My plan is to use these to store game files when not in use, and copy them back over when I feel the urge to play. Considering I typically play one game to death, and then never again, I really don't think I need too much primary storage.

But what is your opinion on price? If I'm willing to wait and scour the web, what kind of price could I find for a 120-128GB SSD? Or how about a 180gb? Pricing information would be really helpful for knowing when to buy.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 815 G Storage
December 7, 2013 7:09:10 PM

Samsung EVO 120GB - $99
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-EVO-Series-2-...

Samsung EVO 250 GB - $160

Look around. If you find them cheaper, go for it.
Share
!