HD 4350 Game Video Stuttering

AtlBo

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
Motherboard died on a HP DC7700 SFF, so I got a new used PC. On the old PC, I have a NVIDIA Quadro NVS 290 which benchmarks at Passmark at 107. That PC has a core 2 duo E6400 that passmarks at about 1250, and with 4 GB I could play QuakeLive flawlessly. However on the new PC with the HD 4350 I get this weird gimp effect in QuakeLive. The processor is a i3 540 that benchmarks at around 2650 and the HD 4350 passmarks at 177, way better than the NVIDIA in the old PC. So my question is what gives here?

One issue. I have 8 GB of DDR3 ram in the new PC and I am running XP Pro 32 bit. The new PC came without a hard drive, and XP 32 was all I have around to install for now. I know 32 bit will only recognize 4 GB, so could the fact that 8 GB are there be somehow causing the gimp effect?

Note on the gimp effect. It's like I am running with a broken leg. The frames are ok for about 2 seconds, then all the sudden it's like they lurch and then it starts all over again. It just continues throughout the game session, but it does get a little bit milder over time. This leads me to believe that it's not temperature related. This is maddening because the lurching is especially bad when turning like when turning to shoot or adjust when shooting.

I ran the detection software from ati, and I have the latest software for the setup, so I know that can't be it. I have a nice Seasonic 300W power supply that delivers 17 A to two rails, so that shouldn't be a problem. I guess I suspect that somehow the 8 GB could be the source of the dilemma. Haven't pulled any RAM yet to check. I would like to see if I can get some feedback before I start with that...

Thanks for any information or tips

AtlBo

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
Thanks...

Right after I got the PC I installed Windows XP Pro 32 on a new HD, and I added the drivers from Asus for the motherboard. Don't have much experience starting from scratch, so I might have installed them out of order, but I went back tonight and found and reinstalled the chipset driver. QuakeLive is running a little bit better, but the stuttering is still unbearable. Graphics are good for everything else it seems.

I am going to install nhl 2001 tonight and see how it runs, so I will have more then...

AtlBo

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
Waited about a week after installing OS and evaluating to post update. QuakeLive is running better but still a little bit choppy (at least it's not unbearable anyway). I guess it's a combination of DDR2 memory vs DDR3 on the NVIDIA quadro and maybe the fact that I have 8 GB in a system running XP SP3 32 bit (for now). NHL 2001 runs really well and Risk II.

One thing based on experience...I have seen video cards run better over time due to usage and due to the effects of Windows optimization over time. I think it takes some time for Windows to adjust to a new card and maybe the clumsiness is just more noticeable at first with a low powered card. I'm hoping for this, anyway...

For anyone who is looking at the HD 4350, I would say try to find the DDR3 model. When it's all said and done, I think this DDR2 version will be fine for poking around and playing a few older games, espeically peaking at 25 watts I think.