Solved

Monitor shuts off randomly

This is a continuation of this thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1853593/monitor-shuts-randomly-asap-work.html

which I marked as solved after replacing the psu stopped the issue for an entire month... and guess what just happened again today.

Looks like the only thing left to replace is the motherboard?
25 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about monitor shuts randomly
  1. I had this same problem and found it was my vid card.. I took the side panel of my case off my full tower and stuck a house floor fan against my system and turned that fan to high..

    That cured the problem until I replaced my video card. Also, the fan on the vid card would not spin unless I gave it a twirl first. I realize this is Afro-Engineering at its best, but that worked for me as a temp fix until I got a new vid card.

    Try turning things off and lowering the vid card settings 1024x768 etc. as well.

    I have dual monitors and also switched back to 1 monitor during this time and that stopped it from cutting out.

    Suggestion: Replace video card!

    :)
  2. Ive tried two separate graphics cards, it happened on both. Technically I tried 3 graphics cards because I sent my GTX 560 ti back to nvidia and got a replacement because I thought that was causing it.

    The temps are also completely fine
  3. Have you tried a different monitor? Seems that your M/B would be all the remains as the problem..

    Maybe use an air compressor and blow everything out (Including the monitor) really well.

    Take the back off the monitor and look closely for brown spots on the board. I had to do this to mine and it was only 40bucks to have some diode things replaced.

    By default the Chinese stick crap in there meant to fail days after the warranty lapses.

    :)
  4. Yes everything I've replaced so far:

    monitor
    monitor cable
    graphics card
    PSU


    So I guess all thats left is the MB?
  5. What is the M/B Model etc..

    Have you tried "FAIL SAFE" setting in the BIOS as well?
    Post the Make /Model of the M/B and I'll dig a bit.

    Does it have built in Video? If so, unplug your Video card and see if it happen with BIOS on FAIL SAFE using the M/B's built in video.

    There is a last ditch effort of warming the board in your oven to possibly fix any trace route cracks.

    I saw a post where somebody said to bake the board in the oven. When you have nothing, you have nothing to lose, Try putting it in the oven at pre-heated 385 for 8 minutes.

    ONLY AS LAST DITCH!

    OF COURSE.. Remove everything from board first.. RAM CPU etc.. anything that could melt.. and only 8min tops..
  6. A good rule of thumb on buying any M/B is checking the back of the board and making sure PIN #1 is square. The Knock-offs will have a round weld as Pin#1.

    The E.E.C. (Electrical Engineering Code) is not followed on the Chinese P.O.S. models.
  7. OhioLeda said:
    What is the M/B Model etc..

    Have you tried "FAIL SAFE" setting in the BIOS as well?
    Post the Make /Model of the M/B and I'll dig a bit.

    Does it have built in Video? If so, unplug your Video card and see if it happen with BIOS on FAIL SAFE using the M/B's built in video.

    There is a last ditch effort of warming the board in your oven to possibly fix any trace route cracks.

    I saw a post where somebody said to bake the board in the oven. When you have nothing, you have nothing to lose, Try putting it in the oven at pre-heated 385 for 8 minutes.

    ONLY AS LAST DITCH!

    OF COURSE.. Remove everything from board first.. RAM CPU etc.. anything that could melt.. and only 8min tops..

    My mobo is a Pegatron Carmel, its one of the few remaining parts of the HP computer I originally bought it as

    I believe it has built in video, I'm in safemode now and the monitor doesn't shut off randomly in safemode. It may be as simple as the card slot going bad

    I'd rather not bake the motherboard lol.. It's probably time I get a new one

    Here is the motherboards I was looking into getting:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157304
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157303
    or
    http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-DDR3-Micro-Motherboard-GA-78LMT-S2/dp/B00981571O/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386520979&sr=1-3
  8. If it runs fine in safe mode than the generic drivers safe mode uses are working fine.. Now that leads me to believe your drivers are f.u.b.a.r. Maybe a bad spot on your HD that contains the drivers is bad.

    If you want to run chkdsk.. Goto START/Accessories RIGHT CLICK Command Prompt and run as Administrator. At Command prompt enter -- chkdsk /f

    It will then ask to schedule it on next boot, reply yes. It will run when ever you boot next.

    OR...

    UN-install anything video card related. FIRST--get the updates off the site for your card. You've prolly tried that already.. If you have then...

    I hear the Pegatron Carmel goes nice with melted cheese on top and steamed Asparagus as a side!
  9. I should also mention I tried completely re-installing windows to fix the issue and it didn't... So everything driver related has already been completely redone

    At one point it even forced me into a disk check from hard-restarting so many times
  10. Alabatross said:
    I should also mention I tried completely re-installing windows to fix the issue and it didn't... So everything driver related has already been completely redone

    At one point it even forced me into a disk check from hard-restarting so many times


    I HAVE FIGURED IT OUT!!!!

  11. The fact it runs fine in safe mode tells me it must be a driver issue.. That the Factory driver enables something the generic driver does not.. Which causes the card to over-heat.

    That our the M/B bus for that slot is messed up..
    Try using the On Board video and removing your Vid Card and using it that way a day or so and see if still an issue. Since you've swapped vid cards and monitors.. It must be a M/B slot issue.. Or those Damned Net Gremlins..
  12. OhioLeda said:
    The fact it runs fine in safe mode tells me it must be a driver issue.. That the Factory driver enables something the generic driver does not.. Which causes the card to over-heat.

    That our the M/B bus for that slot is messed up..
    Try using the On Board video and removing your Vid Card and using it that way a day or so and see if still an issue. Since you've swapped vid cards and monitors.. It must be a M/B slot issue.. Or those Damned Net Gremlins..

    Well my monitor doesn't really go out unless im playing games. But the temps are fine, nothing is overheating. I peak at like 69C

    If it is a driver issue what do I do? I've tried completely uninstall display drivers numerous times, even reinstalling windows


    ill try the on board video soon
  13. Why would getting a new PSU fix the problem for an entire month and then just start doing it again? This is what has my friend confused
  14. Alabatross said:
    Why would getting a new PSU fix the problem for an entire month and then just start doing it again? This is what has my friend confused



    Someone could be flooding your system with fragmented files or some new type of crashing script.. Try unplugging from the net.. Just one other possibility that may be cause. Unplug the RJ-45 and tax the system.. See if it happens when offline. Most Routers have a firewall that blocks fragment files, DDOS, and other sttacks.. Make sure that is enabled.

    I never doubt the possibility of some Greasy fingered geek getting his rocks off by crashing a distant computer either. LOL
  15. Alabatross said:
    Why would getting a new PSU fix the problem for an entire month and then just start doing it again? This is what has my friend confused



    Hey umm, I am getting ready to upgrade my CPU Ram and Video card and have not over-clocked a PC in years.. What is the best way to bring my CPU VID card etc to fry an egg without killing it fast? BIOS settings or O.C. Software?
    Any recommendations that won't blow my feet off since they are near my box?

    Leda
  16. OhioLeda said:
    Alabatross said:
    Why would getting a new PSU fix the problem for an entire month and then just start doing it again? This is what has my friend confused



    Someone could be flooding your system with fragmented files or some new type of crashing script.. Try unplugging from the net.. Just one other possibility that may be cause. Unplug the RJ-45 and tax the system.. See if it happens when offline. Most Routers have a firewall that blocks fragment files, DDOS, and other sttacks.. Make sure that is enabled.

    I never doubt the possibility of some Greasy fingered geek getting his rocks off by crashing a distant computer either. LOL


    Second time I've gotten the "its a virus" suggestion :P

    Surely re-installing windows would have removed that lol so it can't be a virus


    as to your question I don't know I don't overclock
  17. I was not suggesting a virus but a script that will send fragmented files to your IP and your system will crash in doing so.

    Here's the setting within my router 1 and 2 screen caps..

    ONE

    AND TWO


    I am only trying to eliminate all possibilities...
    Would you have a second PC available you can try your Vid card in to see if the same prob happens?

    Leda
  18. I don't have another computer I could test the card in. But it can't be the card because It happened with 2 other different vid cards also.
  19. Best answer
    Alabatross said:
    I don't have another computer I could test the card in. But it can't be the card because It happened with 2 other different vid cards also.



    Remove the card and set your BIOS to ON BOARD VIDEO...
    Try that.. If it works.. It must be the M/B slot..
    Many BIOS's have settings for SLOT settings.. Maybe toy with those?

    You can buy an identical M/B and test it with that.. If that works.. Return it if same issue occurs or keep it and be done with it.

    I use to work at BPCS for 7yrs and it was always nice having a plethora of parts to swap around to eliminate probs like that fast.

    *SHURG*
  20. yea ill probably just go ahead and order a new motherboard as soon as I find a cheap fan to go with it


    If that doesn't fix it im just going to return my 770 and get a ps4
  21. ASUS, INTEL, MSI and Gigabyte have always been good to me..

    Good Luck!
  22. so lets say in theory.... replacing the mobo doesn't fix it

    what else could it possibly be lol
  23. Can't be anything else.. Sounds like an RMA issue...
  24. Yea thats what I was thinking lol

    Well ill try a new motherboard. From what I've heard this is my best option: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157304

    From this thread:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1869670/installing-motherboard.html
  25. *** nevermind on this post
Ask a new question

Read More

Monitors Motherboards Graphics Displays