Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Case for higher-end build (first time)

Last response: in Components
Share
December 8, 2013 7:41:19 PM

So, I'm looking to build a fairly high end gaming PC for around 2-3K American. I have no experience. Based on the research I've currently done, it will consist of:

Processor: Intel i7-4820K
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI
Graphics Card: Asus R9270X-DC2T-2GD5
And some Corsair fans and whatnot.

My question is threefold:
1. Are there any glaring flaws with this build that evade my feeble, untrained mind
2. Does anyone have any recommendations for alternate components that would better suit my purposes
3. What case should I be looking at to house all this

Thanks in advance, and apologies if my formatting or syntax is not appropriate for this site; I just registered today.

EDIT:
Approximate Purchase Date: Early-Mid 2014

Budget Range: $2000-$3000 American

System Usage: Gaming

Do you need to buy OS: Yes / No

Location: Washington, D.C.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: will be 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Would like to run next-gen games on max settings, but don't want to spend money that I don't have to.

EDIT EDIT: Absolutely nothing about this is set in stone, except for that I would like to have this done before June 2014.
a b 4 Gaming
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 8, 2013 7:54:01 PM

Few comments: Don't bother with the ROG boards - they tend to be overpriced. You may be better off with a 4670K or 4770K - there's not usually much point to the enthusiast sockets unless you're running really CPU-intensive stuff.

You'll want something way faster than a 270X. I'd be looking at a pair of R9 290s, or even 290Xs or 780s. Wait for the custom cooler versions.

Does the budget include displays?

This form is useful: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/353572-31-build-upgra...
m
0
l
December 8, 2013 8:02:42 PM

I agree with someone somewhere with his advice, I'd prefer a 4770k, however I like the ROG boards, even though they are overpriced there just so damn pretty. To answer your question on case I am thinking of buying this and I thinnk it's a great looking case if you want a full tower...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Comes in White, Gunmetal, or standard black

Oh and forgot he is right about the graphics card, if you're looking to spend 2-3k USD, the 780 ti is the king of the crop at the moment I believe.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 8, 2013 8:07:25 PM

Case is mainly aesthetics. There are loads of good high-end cases out there. If you want something somewhat unassuming (i.e. black monolith), I quite like the Bitfenix Shinobi XL.

Other favourites are Corsair's ones, and the Antec 900 or 1100 seem to be well liked too.
m
0
l
December 8, 2013 8:07:40 PM

Someone Somewhere said:
Few comments: Don't bother with the ROG boards - they tend to be overpriced. You may be better off with a 4670K or 4770K - there's not usually much point to the enthusiast sockets unless you're running really CPU-intensive stuff.

You'll want something way faster than a 270X. I'd be looking at a pair of R9 290s, or even 290Xs or 780s. Wait for the custom cooler versions.

Does the budget include displays?

This form is useful: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/353572-31-build-upgra...


So, you're saying I should get two GPUs? Interesting; from what I heard elsewhere that would be overkill, but that may be incorrect.
Could you elaborate a little on the benefits of the 4670K or 4770K over the 4820K? I recall that they were less powerful than the 4820K, though less expensive.
The budget is very loose, and I already have a suitable Asus display in mind for this purpose, the Asus VG248QE.
Thanks for the fast reply, very helpful. I'll be sure to check out that link as well.
m
0
l
December 8, 2013 8:15:02 PM

Adamw0611 said:
I agree with someone somewhere with his advice, I'd prefer a 4770k, however I like the ROG boards, even though they are overpriced there just so damn pretty. To answer your question on case I am thinking of buying this and I thinnk it's a great looking case if you want a full tower...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Comes in White, Gunmetal, or standard black

Oh and forgot he is right about the graphics card, if you're looking to spend 2-3k USD, the 780 ti is the king of the crop at the moment I believe.


I agree the case is great looking, and seems to fulfill all obvious requirements, but I think it may be a bit large for my setup? I don't know.

I've looked at the 780 Ti, and $700 seems a bit steep for a graphics card, but that could just be my ignorance talking. Thanks for the tips.
m
0
l
December 8, 2013 8:21:08 PM

Yah I got the HAF 932 case now, and when I got it I thought it was way too big, but I really started liking full towers after getting it. As far as the CPU question goes, you picked a great CPU don't get me wrong, but you would see a much bigger performance difference getting a slightly cheaper CPU, and much better GPU, I just recommended the 780ti as a starting point, assuming you wanted to spend 3k total I figured that would fit in the budget. however the 290x or standard 780 would be solid choices as well.

I would def stick with one powerful GPU over 2, I use SLI and admit I don't have many problems but once in a while a game comes out with no SLI Profile from Nvidia for a day or 2 and it can be rough till they update it... forgot to ask anyway what are you using the Build for, gaming, editing, programing etc?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 8, 2013 8:21:25 PM

The reason I suggested multiple GPUs was that you've got a fairly high budget, which tends to lead to multiple high res screens.

If you're using a HFR display, I'd go for a single R9 290, 290X, or 770/780. Not sure which yet.

Given you're trying to push that many FPS, you probably would do well out of a 4930K. The 4820K isn't actually really any faster than a 4770K, just a more feature-packed platform.
Share
December 8, 2013 8:23:43 PM

Actually I take that back, looking at newegg the sale is over for the 4770 k, so there both the same price now
m
0
l
December 8, 2013 8:26:29 PM

Adamw0611 said:
Yah I got the HAF 932 case now, and when I got it I thought it was way too big, but I really started liking full towers after getting it. As far as the CPU question goes, you picked a great CPU don't get me wrong, but you would see a much bigger performance difference getting a slightly cheaper CPU, and much better GPU, I just recommended the 780ti as a starting point, assuming you wanted to spend 3k total I figured that would fit in the budget. however the 290x or standard 780 would be solid choices as well.

I would def stick with one powerful GPU over 2, I use SLI and admit I don't have many problems but once in a while a game comes out with no SLI Profile from Nvidia for a day or 2 and it can be rough till they update it... forgot to ask anyway what are you using the Build for, gaming, editing, programing etc?


I updated the initial question according to the guide, sorry for the delay. Your GPU advice seems solid, thanks. Using the build for gaming, hopefully with multiple screens at some point after initial purchase.
m
0
l
December 8, 2013 8:33:03 PM

Someone Somewhere said:
Case is mainly aesthetics. There are loads of good high-end cases out there. If you want something somewhat unassuming (i.e. black monolith), I quite like the Bitfenix Shinobi XL.

Other favourites are Corsair's ones, and the Antec 900 or 1100 seem to be well liked too.


I quite like the Shinobi XL. The only real dealbreaker for me with the Antec cases is the window. It seems rather boistrous.
m
0
l
December 8, 2013 8:40:25 PM

Someone Somewhere said:
The reason I suggested multiple GPUs was that you've got a fairly high budget, which tends to lead to multiple high res screens.

If you're using a HFR display, I'd go for a single R9 290, 290X, or 770/780. Not sure which yet.

Given you're trying to push that many FPS, you probably would do well out of a 4930K. The 4820K isn't actually really any faster than a 4770K, just a more feature-packed platform.


Yes, multiple high res screens are a long-term goal. I think that I will invest in those sometime after the initial build. Currently I have no display, but I am looking to buy a HFR display.
m
0
l
December 8, 2013 8:40:51 PM

I just like the bigger cases for cable management, Ive built some other systems for friends in mid towers, and without a modular Power supply it can get quite ugly in there.
m
0
l
December 8, 2013 8:43:48 PM

That seems like a good idea. I'm no traveler, so portability shouldn't really be an issue. I'm not planning to take this thing to any LAN parties.
m
0
l
December 8, 2013 8:48:24 PM

Adamw0611 said:
This is the case I have now, it's rather heavy i think around 27 pounds, but it's lasted me 2 years without anything breaking. the Expansion slot clips do seem kinda flimsy but haven't broken yet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


I have been taking this one under consideration. Does it run loud? I'd like to keep things relatively discreet; I am planning on using this setup with an ASTRO A50 headset, which has yet to be purchased. I believe the headset does its own sound processing, so a sound card should not be necessary for this build.
m
0
l
December 8, 2013 8:57:37 PM

I don't know much about soundcards/headsets, I bought a sound card just cause I know the Realtek onboard with mine seemed to have issues in MMo's with 40 different spell effects going off at once. The case though runs very quiet and gives good temps. I hear the GPU fans when gaming over any of the case fans. Also you may wanna look into an aftermarket CPU cooler if noise levels are important, the Stock Intel coolers work pretty decent temp wise, but can be pretty loud under load.
m
0
l
December 8, 2013 9:00:27 PM

That sounds like a good idea. Noise levels aren't terribly important; I just don't want it to be distracting from the game or keeping me up at night. The general consensus seems to be that I should overclock, which means I will have to invest more in cooling anyways.
m
0
l
!