7850 Bottlenecking Question

Undertow207

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
I recently purchased an a new GPU (XFX Core Edition FX-785A-ZNL4 Radeon HD 7850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16) - My question is: will this bottleneck my system, and if so, what should I focus on being my next upgrade? (More than likely my CPU)

My Outdated Specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition 3.2GHz (Dual Core - overclocked to 3.7GHz)
RAM: 4 gigs of DDR 3 - 1333 MHz
MB: Biostar A880G+ AM 3 socket - PCI Express 2.0 x16
Hard Drive: Western Digital 500 gigs 7200 RPM
Power Supply: Rosewill Green Series 80+ 530W

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

maxiim

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Your system wont bottleneck that GPU, if you were trying to do BF4 ultra 1080p with a 780 than your CPU would be bottlnecking your GPU. Your next upgrade should be a full new system, or at least cpu/mobo/ram if you plan to be playing next years games.

Deus Gladiorum

Distinguished
Indeed it will bottleneck you. 2 cores, especially 2 logical cores that don't have hyperthreading (i.e.which is what's manufactured by AMD) will be quite the bottleneck for your system. Your next upgrade should certainly be your CPU, followed by your RAM. If your PSU hasn't fried your system yet, it probably won't later, but Rosewill makes terrible PSUs. A bad PSU can cause fluctuations in voltage.

If your voltage is fluctuating, then if you're lucky your PC will just underperform and/or cause BSODs or random shutdowns. If you're unlucky, your parts will be fried. Not fun. I suggest upgrading it quite soon as well because Rosewill isn't a reliable manufacturer, though I know people with Rosewill PSUs who operate fine and it hasn't killed you yet, so it might not later. Still, when you get a chance to, certainly upgrade that.

Anyway, since you're upgrading your CPU it means you also have to change your motherboard, unfortunately. That'll be an annoying cost, but it's a necessary evil I suppose. If you decide to stick with AMD, go FX-8320/FX-8350 or go home. Take it from someone with an FX-6300, I wish I had spent those extra $30 on the additional 2 logical cores. Still, the FX-6300 isn't terrible by any means. Sure, it bottlenecks me depending on the game, but my minimum frame rates are never excruciating (except in the case of Crysis 1).

Preferably, you should go Intel for the best performance. Yes, the 8350 is nice, but it's still dwarfed by Intel's i5-3570k or their i5-4670k. Either one of those will be excellent, and if you don't want to spend that much on either of those then I suggest the FX-8320 for $150 (or occasionally for $130). It's the same as an FX-8350, just underclocked slightly, so you can overclock it yourself quite easily in future.

Undertow207

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013

Unfortunately I have an extremely limited budget being a broke college student, so I'll more than likely have to stick to AM3 processors. Thinking about getting the AMD Phenom II X4 965, as it's fairly cheap. Good to know about the Rosewill PSU, I'll definitely be looking into getting another one soon