FX-8120 and 8320 vs Phenom II X4

zerGoot

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
Hi!
I'm getting a new CPU for Christmas,the FX-8120,because 8320 is out of stock everywhere in my country (Hungary),switching my Phenom II X4 960T...Would there be a huge difference if I'd get a 8320 not a 8120? And there will be a difference from my Phenom,but how big will the difference beAnd will there be bottlenecking with a 7770 2Gb and 8120 and 16Gb of RAM?And if the answer is yes with the CPU or the GPU?
In huge difference I mean gaming,not in stuff like compression in WinRAR or stuff like that. And do/can you recommend a new cooler for the CPU?I don't really know if the stock one is fine or not and I'd may try overclocking,so a new cooler is recommended probably..Any ideas which coolers should I take a look at?

Solution
well..
there are around 15%-20% delta performance between bulldozer and vishera..

and you'll not notice the difference between phenom and bulldozer in many apps (which is less than 8 core optimized), include gaming, even actually, bulldozer is slower..

I suggest you not to upgrade your zosma to bulldozer core..it's just like throw your money..
and just wait piledriver available in your country..

hd 7770 is not a strong card, your system will not bottleneck this one..

and like usual, for the cooler, coolermaster hyper 212+ is best price performance for a cooling system..good enough to fly your new fx8350 to 4.3-4.4Ghz..

ps:
bulldozer => fx 81
piledriver => fx 83
zosma => 960T
A huge difference. The 8120 is bulldozer architecture which was terrible, honestly. The 8320 (piledriver) was a huge step up. The 8320 will not bottleneck any single card.

You will see a large boost in gaming.

As for coolers, something like the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Yes there is a pretty large difference between the 8120 and 8320 I would wat if I had to and get the 8320. The X1XX series AMD processors are complete garbage, the X3XX series are a pretty big step forward.I think your gpu/cpu combo will be pretty nice if you get the 8320. Hyper Evo212 is pretty much the gold standard. If you go 16gb of ram, do so in a 2x8gb setup for an amd rig as they'll only run at 1600 MHz max in a 4x4gb setup.

AshyCFC

Honorable
Hi there, I won't claim to be an expert on PC's in hungary(no idea) however I will mention that a 7770 won't bottleneck with ANY of the processors listed and a 8120 vs 8320 is a bit one sided(8320 is newer and better) but if you're in a REAL rush then the 8120 will be "okay"Here's a set of charts/data to help you. http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/303/AMD_FX-Series_FX-8120_vs_AMD_FX-Series_FX-8320.html

check this link(if you haven't already) http://www.argep.hu/product_2163597.html for 8320

in terms of a cooler for the CPU this one is very common and performs nicely: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
using the wonderful power of the tomshardware pc shop finder I managed to find a hungarian retailer of the product : http://www.argep.hu/product_1807224.html

this is one of the best air coolers out there but of course more expensive:
http://www.argep.hu/product_1160212.html

Quaddro

Distinguished
well..
there are around 15%-20% delta performance between bulldozer and vishera..

and you'll not notice the difference between phenom and bulldozer in many apps (which is less than 8 core optimized), include gaming, even actually, bulldozer is slower..

I suggest you not to upgrade your zosma to bulldozer core..it's just like throw your money..
and just wait piledriver available in your country..

hd 7770 is not a strong card, your system will not bottleneck this one..

and like usual, for the cooler, coolermaster hyper 212+ is best price performance for a cooling system..good enough to fly your new fx8350 to 4.3-4.4Ghz..

ps:
bulldozer => fx 81
piledriver => fx 83
zosma => 960T

Solution

sourodip

Distinguished
The 8120 is way powerful than a 960T in terms of multitasking. But it is imp. to note here that the 8120 is not that good for gaming although it is better
Than a 960T but nit that that much better. And for the gpu a 8120 would not even bottleneck a7970/770. So.it can easliy handle two 7770's and even two.

Quaddro

Distinguished
yeah..
i remember i was trying to upgrade my B55 to bulldozer, and after 3 days of overclock, benchmark and LN2, i've sell it again to my friend
and take my old b55 on the socket for once more again..:D

this one is amd biggest fail after phenom original..

zerGoot

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013

I already have the 16gigs of ram :D 2x8 configuration :p Just thought I mention it :D NOT to say how rich am I,since I'm not that much :D

zerGoot

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
I'm here..Sorry but I've been kinda busy..So,I see,that 8120 is uhm...which word should I use? :D Its not about budget,its about availablity...In here there's ALMOST no place to get it..Out of stock you know,'couse the 8320 IS the best price/performance CPU in the market..So I would've waited but whatever store u ask,it aint available..And WILL NOT be for a really really big time..So I just bought 8120,since there was NOT much choose from..I know what I've bought is a ....... and its ....... etc etc,but that's all you could get here..So there were problem,like windows reinstall...I have stuff working fine,but everything that was installed it on my HDD but programs ARE NOT installed,says windows...Are there topics here for stuff like that?