Solved

I'm new to building; Will this PC work?

Hello All,

I hope you are well.

I'm slightly new to building computers so forgive me for any ignorance on my part. About a year ago I had a local business design and build a "gaming" cpu for me and i was let down with the final product after spending what i did. I've come to realize that if you want something done correctly, you have to do it yourself (with the exception of you smart dudes ;) ). So basically, all I need help with is verifying the compatibility of the parts I have selected. I'm also open to any suggestions. The only thing is that I already have the GPUs and CPU in my possession so those will stay regardless. I haven't listed hard drives because I haven't yet decided if i want to use the SSD and HDD from my old computer or buy new drives. However i plan to run at least one SSD and one HDD in this build.

Anyways, the components so far:

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128508

GPU: Sapphire R9 280X Toxic Edition (x2)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202044&Tpk=sapphire%20r9%20280x%20toxic

RAM: 8 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866 MHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233284

PSU: 1000w EVGA Supernova
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438013

CPU: AMD FX-9370 @ 4.4 GHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113346

CPU Cooler: Corsair H110
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181035

Case: Corsair 750D
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139024

A few questions/concerns of mine include the following:

1.) Will the H110 fit in the Corsair 750D?
2.) Toxic is HUGE, will it fit in this case?
3.) Will a 1000w power supply be enough to power both toxic cards and the 9370?

Again, I'm open to any comments/suggestions.

I hope to hear from you guys, and thanks in advance.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about building work
  1. Best answer
    hey there,

    in short awnsers:
    1. yes, the H110 will fit the 750D, you can mount it in the top.
    2. yes, the GPUs are 308mm in length, the 750D will fit GPU's up to 450mm.
    3. yes, both toxic cards add up to 600 watt of power usage + the CPU that uses 220 watt it is 880 watt total.

    your mobo supports 4way AMD CrossFireX and the socket of the cpu matches, the RAM should also be no problem.
    finnaly the PSU, it will power everything as said before and all the cables will fit everything including GPUs (it has 4, 8-pin 750mm long PCIE cables that fit the GPUs)

    hope this will awnser all your questions, if you have more just ask. :D

    Sources:
    http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?pid=2023#
    http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=220-P2-1000-XR
    http://www.corsair.com/en/pc-cases/obsidian-series-pc-case/obsidian-series-750d-full-tower-atx-case.html
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3880#ov
    http://shop.amd.com/us/All/Detail/Processor/FD9370FHHKWOF
  2. Thanks for the speedy response! I really appreciate it. Do you have any tips as far as building methodology/process? I see people on youtube laying their mobo on a glass surface and installing everything before placing it in their case. Are there any other tips that you might have for a first time builder?
  3. MeestaWheeskaz said:
    Thanks for the speedy response! I really appreciate it. Do you have any tips as far as building methodology/process? I see people on youtube laying their mobo on a glass surface and installing everything before placing it in their case. Are there any other tips that you might have for a first time builder?


    you can also put your motherboard on the bag it came in, it should be static resistant.
    some things to have in mind when building are:
    make sure you touch some metal objects (not coated) to get the static electricity out of your body, you might damage parts if you are static loaded.
    installing the CPU and RAM on the motherboard should be done outside the case, it will be hard to do it when it is mounted in the case.
    check if you have every cable you need in reach so you don't have to search for something.
    keep your screws with the parts where they belong to.
    make sure you have a clean open area with plenty of light, like a big table or a desk.
    finally, take your time and if you are not sure if you are doing it right search the web for a solution or a how to guide.

    i hope i helped and good luck with your build!
    if you have any more questions, im here. :D
  4. Thanks so much. I'll be sure to let you know if I have anything else! You've been a great help.
  5. MeestaWheeskaz said:
    Thanks so much. I'll be sure to let you know if I have anything else! You've been a great help.


    No problem.
    i hope to hear from you. :3
  6. So its almost Mid March and i'm still waiting to build this thing. To keep me busy in my spare time, I've been brainstorming possible aesthetic choices for the case. I'm currently trying to decide what color led fans would accent the Toxic cards and the motherboard. I was considering White as a color, but i'm leaning more toward Blue or possibly Red? Any opinions on this at all?
  7. MeestaWheeskaz said:
    So its almost Mid March and i'm still waiting to build this thing. To keep me busy in my spare time, I've been brainstorming possible aesthetic choices for the case. I'm currently trying to decide what color led fans would accent the Toxic cards and the motherboard. I was considering White as a color, but i'm leaning more toward Blue or possibly Red? Any opinions on this at all?


    white on black looks pretty nice, but it might not look that good with the toxic cards.
    i would say think about what you will upgrade later in the future and what color those components will be, or look around the room the pc will be in and look what color fans would look best with all the furniture and the other things that are on your desk.
    if you have more red go for red, if you have more blue go for blue, it all depends on what you think looks best with all the other stuff you have.
    since you are going to get a 750D there is enough space for some nice LED lights too maybe.

    i have everything green including mouse and keyboard and it looks really nice.

    if you want more opinions or some help with anything just ask ;)
    -Skywere
  8. Update: So i got this thing built last weekend. Took a few pictures if you are interested in seeing how it turned out. I'm pretty happy with the end result. I run BF4 at on ultra at 2560x1080 with 180% res scaled, No AA of course. So stoked to be able to say i built my first computer and have it run like a beast. Care to see some pics? Thanks for your help btw, I really appreciate it!
  9. MeestaWheeskaz said:
    Update: So i got this thing built last weekend. Took a few pictures if you are interested in seeing how it turned out. I'm pretty happy with the end result. I run BF4 at on ultra at 2560x1080 with 180% res scaled, No AA of course. So stoked to be able to say i built my first computer and have it run like a beast. Care to see some pics? Thanks for your help btw, I really appreciate it!


    i would really like to see some pics! pretty curious how it turned out :3
Ask a new question

Read More

GPUs Cases CPUs Components New Build