Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Will a 630 watt power supply be sufficient for a i5 3570k and a gtx 780 Overclocked?

Tags:
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 9, 2013 12:03:00 PM

So, I'm planning to do a graphics upgrade, and I'm going to buy the gtx 780 soon. But now the question of course is, will my 630 watt be enough to power my components while having a overclocked cpu and gpu?

i5 3570k overclocked to 4.7 ghz @ 1.37 volt
Asus GTX 780 3 GB OC
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4
Antec Kühler H²0 620
Be Quiet! Pure Power 630 watt (80 plus bronze)
Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 8 Gb
Ocz vertex 120 gb ssd
Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 7200 RPM

Power Calculators say It will be enough, but I don't really trust these calculators tbh, I have no extra fans running in my case except one that is placed on the radiator.

Thank you!

(Just a side question, not something you HAVE to answer: I'm still struggling with which graphics card model to buy, I think I'm going with the Asus one, but, the windforce 3x and the msi cards seem good too, which one should I choose? (I'm not going for a evga card, they are a bit expensive) )
December 9, 2013 12:08:07 PM

Most likely you will be perfectly fine with that PSU, however, can you give the model of it so I can look at the amps just to make sure?
m
l

Best solution

December 9, 2013 12:08:59 PM

Plug the parts into pcpartpicker.com and it will give you an estimated power requirement. I honestly don't know how accurate it is, but from what I can tell it seems pretty reasonable.

Also I think the GPU manufacturer gives a recommended power supply rating for the card being used. It's been a while but I remember something like that when you buy a new card.

Also you are overclocking which will require additional power so add 10-20% on top of that to be safe.
Related resources
December 9, 2013 12:09:19 PM

Oh, and personally, I like the style of the windforce, but choosing which card to get is really all subjective.
m
l
December 9, 2013 12:26:36 PM

MSI Gaming has the best cooler according to the reviews, supposedly the quietest.
m
l
December 11, 2013 4:01:11 AM

deadmaufive said:
Oh, and personally, I like the style of the windforce, but choosing which card to get is really all subjective.

Thank you for all your information kurdan, cookybiscuit and deadmau5..I'll look at pcpartpicker's recommendation and I might be going for the msi card.
m
l
!