780 Usage Question

irsninja

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
The highest I have ever seen my GPU usage go on my 780 Classified is 84%. Can I get this higher? I should not have any bottlenecks as I have 3930k, 16GB RAM, and a 850w PSU. I do not really need the extra power as I already get 60fps but want to know if I can fix it. Yes this number is with v-sync and any frame caps off. My GPU is currently OC to 1215MHz stable at 1.162v

Option 1: Turn off VSync.
Option 2: Max out your game settings, including Antialiasing.

Otherwise, 84% GPU usage is just about ideal, leaving just a bit of overhead and allowing the GPU to run just a tad cooler. As long as you are getting the performance you need, there's nothing wrong with having a GPU running a little below maximum. Your system is pretty well balanced, so the issue is that your games are not demanding enough from your GPU.

irsninja

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

I have done both of those.

The main reason Im looking for higher is benchmarking in heaven and extra frames. I I read tomb raider uses higher (it does I just tested and got 92%). My gpu never goes above 62C so im not to worried about cooling. Is there a particular reason that I gpu wont push harder if it has more room? Is there a setting I can change?

Your GPU is being bottlenecked slightly by the rest of your system, in addition to the game. Skyrim always had me at 99% GPU usage, but something like Fallout 3 had me at 50%.

Your ideal situation is mid-90% up to 99% usage, which shows that your system is well-balanced for that particular game. Have you tried Crysis 3?

irsninja

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

In Crysis 3 I was still around 80% usage. There is most likely a bottleneck in my system, I just do not know what it would be. Any Idea? Could it be my CPU? 3930s have low clock speeds so it may be that games are not fully utilizing 6 cores are are only taking advantage of a few cores that have low clocks?

EDIT: After rethinking this, It is most likely not my CPU because as I was checking my CPU usage, it was never above 40%