Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Block facebook using ip ranges

Tags:
  • Routers
  • Networking
  • Facebook
  • IP
Last response: in Networking
Share
December 10, 2013 3:03:50 AM

I am new to networking and I just want the easiest way to block https facebook using the packet filtering from my router. My router model is a billion bipac 7300ra.
I tried this config below but it is not working:



Even when I ping within that range it still connects. Any help?

More about : block facebook ranges

December 10, 2013 5:40:52 AM

Because you only blocked TCP port 443 and UDP port 443 (UDP 443 does nothing). Ping does not use port 443 and in fact does not use TCP or UDP.
m
0
l
December 10, 2013 6:01:27 AM

bill001g said:
Because you only blocked TCP port 443 and UDP port 443 (UDP 443 does nothing). Ping does not use port 443 and in fact does not use TCP or UDP.


Ok, so could you please tell me what port I should use?, or how I can fix it?, I am new to this and don't know much about it
m
0
l
Related resources
December 10, 2013 6:44:53 AM

What is your goal. You said you wanted to block https facebook and that is what it does. Normally you don't care if it will ping or not as long as you can't open the web page.
m
0
l
December 10, 2013 7:24:00 AM

bill001g said:
What is your goal. You said you wanted to block https facebook and that is what it does. Normally you don't care if it will ping or not as long as you can't open the web page.


Yes, but my above method is not working and I am trying to figure out why, as it still opens up the facebook page
m
0
l

Best solution

December 10, 2013 7:29:21 AM

Are you sure it is using HTTPS or did it switch back to HTTP.

If it still does this you have the wrong IP address blocks. Put in another rule that matches all tcp traffic but set it to forward rather than drop and turn the log option on. You should then be able to see what IP addresses are really being used
Share
December 10, 2013 9:54:55 PM

bill001g said:
Are you sure it is using HTTPS or did it switch back to HTTP.

If it still does this you have the wrong IP address blocks. Put in another rule that matches all tcp traffic but set it to forward rather than drop and turn the log option on. You should then be able to see what IP addresses are really being used


Thanks, found out I was indeed using the wrong ip range using the data in the log file. Thanks for your help :) 
m
0
l
!