r9 290 prices....WTF?

clodcheese

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013
i had arranged enough money to buy a r9 290 atlast but now i see its not 399
(400$) anymore and its 499(500$)...!! can anyone please explain me this shit in detail..>?

Solution

I am going to stick with the facts as i am tired of arguing with nvidia fanboys.

the extra vram will help at that resolution mostly for future games. Current games almost never go over 3 gb. so if you want something slightly future proof the extra ram will help.

In terms of time to upgrade it is a good time. If you want to decide look up info on both cards. If you decide to go with the 290x wait until jan 2014 when the non reference versions come out.

On a personal note if you have around 700-800 $ (which...

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012
It's in hot demand. The 290 is around 15% stronger than the 780 and it has more VRAM. It should cost more imo (Based on Nvidia's pricing). Once they can make enough to meet demand the price will drop back down. I wouldn't be upset since it is best to wait for improved coolers anyways...

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
if you can, wait 2-3 years and then buy it cheaper at the local 7-11.
if you need it now, cough up the coin and use it now because you NEED it now.
if you just WANT it now, well too bad, sucks to miss out on sales but it's like that hot blonde that got away.

Bitcoin is a virtual currency that is derived from a series of complex mathematical calculations. AMD cards have always been much better at doing these calculations than Nvidia. Bitcoin mining involves using your GPU to try to run these calculations and eventually get Bitcoins, which you can then sell for real money, or use them for online shopping, some legitimate, and a lot of not so legitimate places will accept Bitcoins as payment. People are going crazy about mining Bitcoins because they spiked at over $1000 USD each recently, though they have slid back down to about $700 after the Chinese Central Banking authority basically declared them to be Monopoly Money, as in worthless.

The problem with Bitcoin mining is that it is no longer really feasible for individuals with one or two GPUs to mine for Bitcoins, the cost of the GPUs plus power bills will likely outweigh the gains. Generally to be effective at Bitcoin mining you have to have something like 10+ top of the line GPUs rigged up to do it,and that gets really expensive.

If you really want a 290 right now, all you can do is pay the inflated price, or wait and see if there are any post Christmas sales that lead to a price reduction, or pray that the Bitcoin bubble bursts within the next few months.

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
the bitcoin bubble won't burst for a while. from what I hear, before that happens, people will give up on gpu and turn to asic for the mining. which for you will be good enough, since it means gpus will be worthless garbage. for them. not for you.

Datcu Alexandru

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013

They will. Worst case scenario is you will have to wait till jan 2014 when the non reference 290x comes out.

But no later than that.

clodcheese

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013
i am planning on getting a gtx780ti.. is it better than the r9 290x? and will the +1gb of vram in r9 make a diff?
i plan on playing at 2560 ×1600 in future.
and please tell me if is it a good time to upgrade from my gtx660

Datcu Alexandru

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013

I am going to stick with the facts as i am tired of arguing with nvidia fanboys.

the extra vram will help at that resolution mostly for future games. Current games almost never go over 3 gb. so if you want something slightly future proof the extra ram will help.

In terms of time to upgrade it is a good time. If you want to decide look up info on both cards. If you decide to go with the 290x wait until jan 2014 when the non reference versions come out.

On a personal note if you have around 700-800 $ (which is around what the 780 ti costs) then wait 1-2 weeks until non reference R9 290 comes out and get 2 for around the same price and far better performance. Its what i would personally do.

If you can't or don't want to wait then get the 780 TI. At that resolution it is a good card.

Solution