Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Multiple GPUs and Multiple monitors question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 10, 2013 9:44:09 AM

At work my desktop has a NVIDIA Quadro 2000 running 2 24" monitors (in dvi) for CAD etc.
I want to add another screen just for internet, PDF viewing, and office. Can i buy a cheap graphics card and hook the third monitor to it and still be able to use both 24"

basically can i have one gpu run 2 monitors and the other gpu run 1 monitor at the same time?

Thanks!

Best solution

December 10, 2013 10:22:43 AM

Yes, that should work fine. At the office I'm running two basic ATI cards (cheapies too, nothing fancy) to push 4 identical monitors. For this setup I didn't have to do anything more complex than plugging in the second card and telling windows which screen was sitting where, windows handled everything automatically. At home I'm running a GTX 560TI to push a 40" LCD TV and a 27" Asus LED monitor, then a GTX 650 to push another 27" and two 24" screens with no problems. I did have issues with an ATI card as the secondary at home not wanting to fit the image correctly to the screen, but that was a software and impatient user issue more than the cards themselves.
Share
a c 91 C Monitor
December 10, 2013 10:31:43 AM

That's assuming your mobo has another slot for another gpu and your psu can handle it. I actually use the integrated and a card to run more monitors.
m
0
l
Related resources
December 10, 2013 10:37:08 AM

k1114 said:
That's assuming your mobo has another slot for another gpu and your psu can handle it. I actually use the integrated and a card to run more monitors.


Ooooh, yeah, he makes a very good point I didn't even think about. Not all motherboards can support a second card. And if yours doesn't, you may need to go into BIOS to reenable the built in gpu, I've seen a few that turn it off if you install a real card.
m
0
l
December 10, 2013 11:45:31 AM

dragotx said:
k1114 said:
That's assuming your mobo has another slot for another gpu and your psu can handle it. I actually use the integrated and a card to run more monitors.


Ooooh, yeah, he makes a very good point I didn't even think about. Not all motherboards can support a second card. And if yours doesn't, you may need to go into BIOS to reenable the built in gpu, I've seen a few that turn it off if you install a real card.


Im pretty sure the mobo can handle it! Its a Dell Precision T3600 . from what i can see in the pictures online (havent opened the desktop because it is not mine, its works) and sadly there is no onboard or i would of gotten that to work by now :D 
also im thinking suck a cheap GPU that is does not need a power source. dont know whats on the inside as much as i should!
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
December 10, 2013 11:53:40 AM

well, this machine belongs to the office / your employer, which means the IT folks might not want you messing around with it because they may not want to deal with supporting it and cleaning out bugs and drivers etc.

I'd consider just buying a laptop during the next few weeks whenever a good sale comes up, and using that.
m
0
l
December 10, 2013 12:15:34 PM

giantbucket said:
well, this machine belongs to the office / your employer, which means the IT folks might not want you messing around with it because they may not want to deal with supporting it and cleaning out bugs and drivers etc.

I'd consider just buying a laptop during the next few weeks whenever a good sale comes up, and using that.


Its not that big of an office. Im 1 of 2 employees. and the IT is usually me and google. But good suggestion!
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
December 10, 2013 12:20:39 PM

hahaha! ok, fair enough.
m
0
l
!