Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Budget $200 Gaming PC Build. How does it look?

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 10, 2013 1:25:47 PM

Hey so I am building a medium-end gaming pc and im using parts from my old one. Heres the pc part picker: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2fLM0 So as you can see there is no case, hdd, disk drive, operating system, or power supply. This is because I already have all of these with my current pc. So how does it look? I was going to build one with one of AMD's apus but then I found out they aren't meant for upgrading, but with this one, I can upgrade later in the year to an i7 and possibly a Geforce 650 ti boost. (and yes I know the current gpu is really weak but its my max budget) Also could I by any chance run OS X on this machine? This is my first time BUILDING a pc and I just want to see if its good and the parts are compatible and ready to ship to my house for Christmas. And the main games I will be playing are, ALL the new COD's except Ghosts, Halo 2, GTA 4, Crysis 2, Far Cry 2 and 3, and also GTA San Andreas. What settings could I run these games on? Low? Medium? High? (Sorry if im not being clear) Thanks ahead of time!
a b 4 Gaming
December 10, 2013 1:33:12 PM

I don't think you will be able to run any current modern games.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 10, 2013 1:37:16 PM

Barely a chance running games on that. You are better off going APU on that budget...
m
0
l
Related resources
December 10, 2013 1:37:17 PM

HeyyScott said:
I don't think you will be able to run any current modern games.


Why do you say that? Because of the graphics card?
m
0
l
December 10, 2013 1:39:18 PM

camohanna said:
Barely a chance running games on that. You are better off going APU on that budget...


But I will only be able to use an apu for around a year because it will be too weak, and then I cant upgrade it in the future, but with this one I can.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 10, 2013 1:40:40 PM

No because the overall build is really weak and cheap parts.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 10, 2013 1:43:13 PM

get this and you will be happy. then add another stick of ram later for $30 after that upgrade the gpu to a 7790 or better then upgrade the cpu to an fx 6300 or better all on the same mobo. trust me its your best bet
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2iirb
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 10, 2013 1:44:23 PM

Samlikesham said:
camohanna said:
Barely a chance running games on that. You are better off going APU on that budget...


But I will only be able to use an apu for around a year because it will be too weak, and then I cant upgrade it in the future, but with this one I can.


Wait until you have more money. There is no point building on this budget.. You will get junk parts and it will result in more money being spent in the long run.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 10, 2013 1:47:09 PM

camohanna said:
Samlikesham said:
camohanna said:
Barely a chance running games on that. You are better off going APU on that budget...


But I will only be able to use an apu for around a year because it will be too weak, and then I cant upgrade it in the future, but with this one I can.


Wait until you have more money. There is no point building on this budget.. You will get junk parts and it will result in more money being spent in the long run.


my build isnt junk and can upgrade cheap and easy for a lower level gamer on a budget. if he is set on max setting for current games it will not happen but mid settings at 30-40 fps absolutely. and once he gets to hd 7790+ and fx6300+ with 8gb ram high settings at 45-60 fps will be seen
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 10, 2013 1:47:51 PM

If you desperately need a computer you may as well go with NormH build.

With your build you can't really upgrade anything either with that cheap mobo and processor let alone the GPU as well. You can go with an APU solution and like you said after a year just toss it and buy your i7 and 650TI like you mention.

Or just wait a few months out if you don't need a computer now and give us a higher budget.
m
0
l
December 10, 2013 1:56:05 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD A10-6800K 4.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($119.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A55M-HD2 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($42.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data XPG Gaming Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $191.98
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-10 16:49 EST-0500)

Here this will do better than your current build. When you have the money just throw in a dedicated GPU and another 4gb of ram. Just know going extremely high end for the GPU will be pointless as you be limited by the lack of L3 cache even if you OC it as far as you can go. But it can easily push a 650ti boost and than some. And you don't need an i7 for gaming it's a waste of money, i5 at most even for high end build as games don't really exploit the use of hyperthreading in the i7's.

I am currently running a AMD 750k with a GTX 650, and it can run everything out there. The 6800k should be able to run everything out there off hand, but you definitely have to set your video settings a lot farther down in some games to get it playable. But it should be able to hold you off for a year till you can get the money for a better GPU and extra RAM than your set for awhile.

As for your current build it's well, bad. And thats phrasing it nicely. GPU is very weak and from a company which is known to produce horrible parts. The RAM is lacking too much for modern gaming. The CPU while capable of being used for gaming as of right now in the low end builds will be severely lacking in the future, not to mention there are better CPU's for the money and that the i3-2120 is outdated.

EDITED IN:
Didn't see NormH build that looks like it may perform better out of the box than what I posted, you have to double check the 6670gpu vs the integrated on the 6800k. Though mine has more potential of accepting high end GPU's latter down the line. Unfortunately what he said about upgrading the CPU to an FX is wrong the FM2 socket does not accept FX CPU's.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 10, 2013 2:22:36 PM

if you will not be able to upgrade soon wait until jan 2014 and get the new apu a10-7500k it has a built in gpu similar to hd 7750 and will do better than even my build i posted. it will cost about 150. with a mobo and 8gb ram the total would be around 225 and would be able to play all modern games at mid settings about 40 fps and would last at least a year with out an upgrade.
m
0
l
December 10, 2013 4:11:45 PM

NormH said:
if you will not be able to upgrade soon wait until jan 2014 and get the new apu a10-7500k it has a built in gpu similar to hd 7750 and will do better than even my build i posted. it will cost about 150. with a mobo and 8gb ram the total would be around 225 and would be able to play all modern games at mid settings about 40 fps and would last at least a year with out an upgrade.


I've heard nothing about it as I haven't kept up on the newer tech for the past few months. But if what you say is true I truely do recommend holding off for another month or two to get a hold of that it will be the best option. So OP look into this option as it sounds like it may be your best bet.

If it works like a HD 7750 you probably be good for 2 years if all you wanted was to be able to play any game out there at playable framerate before you fell the need to drop in a GPU. This is assuming your ok with dropping settings down in games. So that would buy you more than enough time to save up for a GPU/PSU and whatever other upgrades you need.

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 10, 2013 4:14:12 PM

Its called kaveri and is set to release 1-14-14
m
0
l
December 10, 2013 6:34:10 PM

assasin32 said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD A10-6800K 4.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($119.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A55M-HD2 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($42.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data XPG Gaming Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $191.98
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-10 16:49 EST-0500)

Here this will do better than your current build. When you have the money just throw in a dedicated GPU and another 4gb of ram. Just know going extremely high end for the GPU will be pointless as you be limited by the lack of L3 cache even if you OC it as far as you can go. But it can easily push a 650ti boost and than some. And you don't need an i7 for gaming it's a waste of money, i5 at most even for high end build as games don't really exploit the use of hyperthreading in the i7's.

I am currently running a AMD 750k with a GTX 650, and it can run everything out there. The 6800k should be able to run everything out there off hand, but you definitely have to set your video settings a lot farther down in some games to get it playable. But it should be able to hold you off for a year till you can get the money for a better GPU and extra RAM than your set for awhile.

As for your current build it's well, bad. And thats phrasing it nicely. GPU is very weak and from a company which is known to produce horrible parts. The RAM is lacking too much for modern gaming. The CPU while capable of being used for gaming as of right now in the low end builds will be severely lacking in the future, not to mention there are better CPU's for the money and that the i3-2120 is outdated.

EDITED IN:
Didn't see NormH build that looks like it may perform better out of the box than what I posted, you have to double check the 6670gpu vs the integrated on the 6800k. Though mine has more potential of accepting high end GPU's latter down the line. Unfortunately what he said about upgrading the CPU to an FX is wrong the FM2 socket does not accept FX CPU's.


Thanks for telling it to me straight forward lol. But how would that APU do in the future? Like is it powerful enough that it wouldn't bottleneck the 650ti boost or vice-versa? And if I were to get an amd gpu, could I run it in crossfire mode with the gpu in the apu? And how long do you think this rig would last me to play new games on lowest settings? And can I upgrade the cpu to something better with this mobo?
m
0
l
December 10, 2013 6:36:24 PM

NormH said:
if you will not be able to upgrade soon wait until jan 2014 and get the new apu a10-7500k it has a built in gpu similar to hd 7750 and will do better than even my build i posted. it will cost about 150. with a mobo and 8gb ram the total would be around 225 and would be able to play all modern games at mid settings about 40 fps and would last at least a year with out an upgrade.


Does this new processor have the same socket as the motherboard in the a10 build?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 10, 2013 6:44:47 PM

yes it does its am3+. as for the a10-6800k igpu vs the 6670 the 6670 is slightly better than the a10's but not by a ton. my build is only better than an a10 in my opinion due to having the option to upgrade 1 part at a time with ease. rather than the cpu and gpu at the same time or having to disable the igpu to get the new gpu to work right
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 10, 2013 6:49:49 PM

The processor wouldn't bottleneck the 650ti. and I think currently if you get a 5800k or 6800k the only card you could crossfire it with is a 6670 which is a ok configuration for a budget but still not as good as the single 650ti.

If you want to worry about upgrading, as said earlier, wait a bit and save some money and get a processor like a FX 6300 minimum or even a i5 4570 with a seperate GPU all together as they offer easier upgrade solution and more cost effective instead of hopping from low end processors and GPU's every year.

edit: took out huge quotes
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 10, 2013 6:53:52 PM

sportfreak23 said:
The processor wouldn't bottleneck the 650ti. and I think currently if you get a 5800k or 6800k the only card you could crossfire it with is a 6670 which is a ok configuration for a budget but still not as good as the single 650ti.

If you want to worry about upgrading, as said earlier, wait a bit and save some money and get a processor like a FX 6300 minimum or even a i5 4570 with a seperate GPU all together as they offer easier upgrade solution and more cost effective instead of hopping from low end processors and GPU's every year.

edit: took out huge quotes


that takes us back to my first build as it would allow to go to an fx later and laready has a dedicated gpu then can easily upgrade toabetter gpu and the fx-6300 can keep up with all gpus up to 7870/7950 and then upgrade the cpu to an fx-8320/8350 after that fails t keep up with games ..... now we are 2 years out and its time to buld a whle new syste withnew technology. meanwhile that mobo hasnt changed.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 10, 2013 7:08:52 PM

NormH said:
sportfreak23 said:
The processor wouldn't bottleneck the 650ti. and I think currently if you get a 5800k or 6800k the only card you could crossfire it with is a 6670 which is a ok configuration for a budget but still not as good as the single 650ti.

If you want to worry about upgrading, as said earlier, wait a bit and save some money and get a processor like a FX 6300 minimum or even a i5 4570 with a seperate GPU all together as they offer easier upgrade solution and more cost effective instead of hopping from low end processors and GPU's every year.

edit: took out huge quotes


that takes us back to my first build as it would allow to go to an fx later and laready has a dedicated gpu then can easily upgrade toabetter gpu and the fx-6300 can keep up with all gpus up to 7870/7950 and then upgrade the cpu to an fx-8320/8350 after that fails t keep up with games ..... now we are 2 years out and its time to buld a whle new syste withnew technology. meanwhile that mobo hasnt changed.


Well if he needs the computer now then your build is good for the budget I totally agree. Hands down*

But the upgrade path your suggesting is 2 processors in 2 years. Thats where I think it gets less cost efficent especially since now looking a 6300 cost about $30 more then the athlon. Then the 8320 is like $20 - 30 more then the 6300. But your ditching out $100 per year + gpu if he needs an upgrade on that as well. Kinda not cost efficient as we'll be seeing him make a similar topic like this.

I would still say if he can save up some money and get a 6300 + a GPU. Then work from there forward.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 10, 2013 7:21:25 PM

i agree but it depends on budget and necessity. Personally id wait for kaveri a10 and play the next 2 years at mid-high settings then build a beast
m
0
l
December 10, 2013 7:43:03 PM

NormH said:
i agree but it depends on budget and necessity. Personally id wait for kaveri a10 and play the next 2 years at mid-high settings then build a beast


Yea this sounds like my best option out there. Thanks to everyone for helping out!
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 10, 2013 7:57:55 PM

if you have your answer mark solved and choose a best answer. whoever it may be and good luck with your gaming.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 11, 2013 1:35:02 AM

NormH said:
camohanna said:
Samlikesham said:
camohanna said:
Barely a chance running games on that. You are better off going APU on that budget...


But I will only be able to use an apu for around a year because it will be too weak, and then I cant upgrade it in the future, but with this one I can.


Wait until you have more money. There is no point building on this budget.. You will get junk parts and it will result in more money being spent in the long run.


my build isnt junk and can upgrade cheap and easy for a lower level gamer on a budget. if he is set on max setting for current games it will not happen but mid settings at 30-40 fps absolutely. and once he gets to hd 7790+ and fx6300+ with 8gb ram high settings at 45-60 fps will be seen


I was meaning the OP's build, you build is good.
m
0
l
December 11, 2013 5:29:20 AM

may i add input......
try this :) 
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 3.2GHz Triple-Core Processor ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock N68C-GS FX Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($48.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill 2GB (1 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($20.49 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7750 1GB Video Card ($63.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $195.45
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-11 08:28 EST-0500)

Its only for a little while but this will do buddy....
m
0
l
December 11, 2013 5:52:45 AM

LouieG02 said:
may i add input......
try this :) 
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 3.2GHz Triple-Core Processor ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock N68C-GS FX Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($48.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill 2GB (1 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($20.49 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7750 1GB Video Card ($63.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $195.45
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-11 08:28 EST-0500)

Its only for a little while but this will do buddy....


This also looks like a possible low budget build for me. Thanks!
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 11, 2013 6:04:55 AM

2gb of ram will not allow current games. Need 4gb that you is better than the one i posted but useless if the game won't run. The minimum on some games listed is 3gb+
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 11, 2013 6:11:29 AM

One thing to note, you don't want to buy a DDR3 HD7750, not when a GDDR5 version is $6 more.

For around $220 you can get an Athlon X4 740/750K, a cheap A55 motherboard, 4Gb of memory and a GDDR5 HD7750. The difference between that and more or less anything you can get for under $200 is pretty huge.
NormH linked the same thing above, but with a slightly cheaper graphics card. It's about your best bet.
m
0
l
December 11, 2013 6:45:20 AM

Rammy said:
One thing to note, you don't want to buy a DDR3 HD7750, not when a GDDR5 version is $6 more.

For around $220 you can get an Athlon X4 740/750K, a cheap A55 motherboard, 4Gb of memory and a GDDR5 HD7750. The difference between that and more or less anything you can get for under $200 is pretty huge.
NormH linked the same thing above, but with a slightly cheaper graphics card. It's about your best bet.


Here I just built it: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2iEgW. How would this build compete with assasin32's? Wow there's so many good options I don't know which to build!
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 11, 2013 7:43:27 AM

If you are rigidly stuck to $200 and can't possibly spend any more, then NormH and Assasin32s builds are both viable. They both have compromises though, and neither are going to handle modern games terribly well.

If however, you can push the budget to nearer to $250, you can make a significant step up by being able to afford a proper entry level discrete graphics card and solid processor.
m
0
l
December 11, 2013 11:14:44 AM

Rammy said:
If you are rigidly stuck to $200 and can't possibly spend any more, then NormH and Assasin32s builds are both viable. They both have compromises though, and neither are going to handle modern games terribly well.

If however, you can push the budget to nearer to $250, you can make a significant step up by being able to afford a proper entry level discrete graphics card and solid processor.


I could do $250 if that's what it takes for a decent gaming machine.
m
0
l
December 11, 2013 11:21:26 AM

Oh yea I almost forgot, I also want it to mabey be able to run Minecraft on max settings? Or is that too much?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 11, 2013 11:22:31 AM

Who knows if you get lucky, prices may drop in a week for christmas and you can get something decent. But $250 is a start ;p
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
December 11, 2013 11:57:33 AM

at 250 you can get this and it will do great and add a 2nd stick of ram later for 8gb total
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2iLlB

this is your best bet
Share
December 11, 2013 12:11:40 PM

NormH said:
at 250 you can get this and it will do great and add a 2nd stick of ram later for 8gb total
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2iLlB

this is your best bet


Yea this looks like its gonna be the one! And again thanks everyone for the help!
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 11, 2013 12:13:12 PM

no prob. everyone here gave sound advice. would be hard to beck a best answer. glad i could give my input.
m
0
l
!