840 EVO boot time is 35 seconds?

ribkicker4

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
I bought an 840 EVO (250 GB) a week ago. A more knowledgeable friend came over to oversee the installation and everything went well. I did not clone anything; I just installed Windows 7 Professional 64-bit onto it.

Right off the bat, boot times were slow. I was using a 6 Gbp/s cable plugged into a SATA 3 6 Gbp/s port, the mode in BIOS was set AHCI, I updated my BIOS, I downloaded the Samsung Magician software and used the 'OS optimization' tool and the 'Performance Optimization' tool... Nothing changed.

I ran some benchmarks which showed that the sequential read and write were fairly normal, but the random read ranges from 25-50% slower than it should be, and the random write is usually 15-20% slower than it should be.

My specs:
Intel i5 2500k at stock speeds
8 GB 1333 RAM
Nvidia GTX 760 (2 GB)
MSI P67A-C43

I'm thinking that maybe I'll just have to send my SSD in for a replacement, but I'm hoping it won't come to that.

PS: I've looked online and the articles/threads I've found either end in dead ends for me, or just tout the amazing boot speeds of the 840 EVO which doesn't help me either.

ribkicker4

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
Turns out my secondary HDDs were slowing it down considerably. After unplugging both my boot time went down to 21 seconds. I disabled boot checking for the HDDs but that changed nothing. I formatted one HDD that had Windows 7 on it and that did nothing.