Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Should I change Components and are they all compatible.

Last response: in Systems
Share
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2013 9:00:59 AM

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/2iFt1

I live in Australia and I already take a $200+ beating excluding shipping due to stores here selling products at the highest prices.

I'm not sure about a few components but I'd like to keep the case due to it being perfect for my room. I intend to use this computer for gaming at 1080p ultra with ~60fps. So far with shipping this build costs about 1.55k, any suggestions to take a few hundred off? Should I wait till the 800 series come out for discounts if there will even be any?

Thanks for any assistance provided!
a b V Motherboard
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2013 9:05:15 AM

you can go cheaper by going down the amd route. get a 8320 (or 8350) and a 990x gigabyte d3h motherboard. maybe switch the 770 with a 280x?
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2013 9:06:01 AM

Can shave off by changing the case
m
0
l
Related resources
December 11, 2013 9:06:13 AM

I think the build looks great. Im just wondering why dont you go with the i5-3570k and overclock it? Its about the same price but you could gte alot more performance out of it. iit would help you out with games like bf4 and ac4
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2013 9:10:35 AM

Jared485 said:
I think the build looks great. Im just wondering why dont you go with the i5-3570k and overclock it? Its about the same price but you could gte alot more performance out of it. iit would help you out with games like bf4 and ac4



This would mean i'd need a z87 motherboard model which are $200+ and a better cpu cooler
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2013 9:15:25 AM

_Vass said:
you can go cheaper by going down the amd route. get a 8320 (or 8350) and a 990x gigabyte d3h motherboard. maybe switch the 770 with a 280x?


I'd probably go with what you've said but I'm unable to order that motherboard from Australia believe it or not without using a 3rd party delivery courier.

m
0
l
December 11, 2013 9:15:45 AM

symsus said:
Jared485 said:
I think the build looks great. Im just wondering why dont you go with the i5-3570k and overclock it? Its about the same price but you could gte alot more performance out of it. iit would help you out with games like bf4 and ac4



This would mean i'd need a z87 motherboard model which are $200+ and a better cpu cooler


sorry yes you are correct, ignore my statement about the cpu.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2013 9:19:52 AM

Both cards should perform similar, but the 3GB of Vram on the 280x benefits with games that has lots of textures like BF4. Also the 280x is cheaper than GTX 770.

With gold rated psu
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($204.00 @ CPL Online)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X 82.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($45.00 @ CPL Online)
Motherboard: ASRock H87 Performance ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($122.00 @ CPL Online)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($99.00 @ CPL Online)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($68.00 @ CPL Online)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($359.00 @ PLE Computers)
Case: NZXT NZXT H230 White ATX Mid Tower ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.00 @ Scorptec)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($155.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($22.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit) ($115.00 @ CPL Online)
Total: $1397.00
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-12 04:19 EST+1100)

with bronze rated psu
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($204.00 @ CPL Online)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X 82.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($45.00 @ CPL Online)
Motherboard: ASRock H87 Performance ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($122.00 @ CPL Online)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($99.00 @ CPL Online)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($68.00 @ CPL Online)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($359.00 @ PLE Computers)
Case: NZXT NZXT H230 White ATX Mid Tower ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.00 @ Scorptec)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($115.00 @ CPL Online)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($22.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit) ($115.00 @ CPL Online)
Total: $1357.00
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-12 04:25 EST+1100)


AMD Build
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($189.00 @ PCCaseGear)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X 82.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($45.00 @ CPL Online)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 EXTREME4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($115.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($99.00 @ CPL Online)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($68.00 @ CPL Online)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($359.00 @ PLE Computers)
Case: NZXT NZXT H230 White ATX Mid Tower ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.00 @ Scorptec)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($115.00 @ CPL Online)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($22.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit) ($115.00 @ CPL Online)
Total: $1335.00
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-12 04:28 EST+1100)

AMD with full tower case
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($189.00 @ PCCaseGear)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X 82.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($45.00 @ CPL Online)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 EXTREME4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($115.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($99.00 @ CPL Online)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($68.00 @ CPL Online)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($359.00 @ PLE Computers)
Case: NZXT Source 530 ATX Full Tower Case ($109.00 @ CPL Online)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($115.00 @ CPL Online)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($22.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit) ($115.00 @ CPL Online)
Total: $1345.00
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-12 04:30 EST+1100)
Share
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2013 9:29:50 AM

lp231 said:
Both cards should perform similar, but the 3GB of Vram on the 280x benefits with games that has lots of textures like BF4. Also the 280x is cheaper than GTX 770.

With gold rated psu
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($204.00 @ CPL Online)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X 82.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($45.00 @ CPL Online)
Motherboard: ASRock H87 Performance ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($122.00 @ CPL Online)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($99.00 @ CPL Online)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($68.00 @ CPL Online)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($359.00 @ PLE Computers)
Case: NZXT NZXT H230 White ATX Mid Tower ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.00 @ Scorptec)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($155.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($22.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit) ($115.00 @ CPL Online)
Total: $1397.00
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-12 04:19 EST+1100)

with bronze rated psu
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($204.00 @ CPL Online)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X 82.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($45.00 @ CPL Online)
Motherboard: ASRock H87 Performance ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($122.00 @ CPL Online)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($99.00 @ CPL Online)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($68.00 @ CPL Online)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($359.00 @ PLE Computers)
Case: NZXT NZXT H230 White ATX Mid Tower ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.00 @ Scorptec)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($115.00 @ CPL Online)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($22.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit) ($115.00 @ CPL Online)
Total: $1357.00
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-12 04:25 EST+1100)



wow I'm really considering the 280x now. I currently have a gtx 560 with me and do you think I should order everything besides the gpu and wait till the 800 series come out so that the 280x/ 770 becomes cheaper?
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2013 9:39:16 AM

Depends on you, need a new card now then get it. If the 560 is still decent in your book, then use it, and upgrade when it's really necessary. I would personally upgrade and happily use it, and upgrade it again when it's really necessary and who knows, by that time it might be something better then the GTX 800 series.
Also it's not good to jump aboard when something new has arrived, just look at the 290 and 290x, it's run hot and its cooler is poor.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2013 9:45:03 AM

Thanks I think I got it sorted out. Just gotta do some research on the 280x now. The 3gb for bf4 makes it attractive so far. You mentioned that the 290 and 290x isn't that good. Is that the same as the 280x? Also I was planning on getting the same gpu as stated here when the new series come out hoping I can save $100 or so.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2013 10:01:31 AM

290 and 290x is based on their newest architecture, it's different from the 280x. The 280x is basically a rebadged HD7970 GHz Edition with a slower clock, but what make it sell is its lower price tag.

The 290 and 290x can't run its true potential because of its stock cooler is not that good. Card makers are starting to make ones with better coolers, but it's not out yet, we still have to wait.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/asus-290x-directcu-ii-...
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2013 10:03:44 AM

ok thanks for that. I've decided to get the 780 when the 800 series come out hoping for a price drop.
m
0
l
!