R9 290 flickering room lights under load

Mega Pijon

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013
I've noticed that the flickering of my room lights while gaming using this brand new 290. My psu, seasonic X 750 watt gold, makes a single clicking noise at the same time the lights flick. What could be wrong?

The issue goes away when I install my old 6970, so there's gotta be something wrong with the new card.

Already tried different plugs in the same room with no luck :(

Solution
Seen that happen before because of shoddy / cheap wiring schema in a building. So imagine the Living Room, Bedroom and Bathroom all on just one circuit breaker. Bobby plays his PS3 on the 40" LCD while listening to tunes playing over Dad's speaker system with the kitchen, living room and doorway light all on. Jill is cranking out her latest blog, streaming music, and using her Logitech speaker to compete with Bobby, but has on her lights all around her room all on. Then someone goes into the bathroom plugs in a hair dryer and turns on the LED Vanity lights at the same time .... POOF! all goes off in that side of the house...

Basically that is your scenario. You may try another power jack, but depends on how things are all wired in...
I would try the system on a different plug.

Unless the circuit is heavily loaded, your computer should not be able to draw that kind of power.

Larger appliances can cause this issue on startup, but it is rare for a computer(I have seen some when plugging in a power supply because of an inrush)

Seen that happen before because of shoddy / cheap wiring schema in a building. So imagine the Living Room, Bedroom and Bathroom all on just one circuit breaker. Bobby plays his PS3 on the 40" LCD while listening to tunes playing over Dad's speaker system with the kitchen, living room and doorway light all on. Jill is cranking out her latest blog, streaming music, and using her Logitech speaker to compete with Bobby, but has on her lights all around her room all on. Then someone goes into the bathroom plugs in a hair dryer and turns on the LED Vanity lights at the same time .... POOF! all goes off in that side of the house...

Basically that is your scenario. You may try another power jack, but depends on how things are all wired in your residence that will really determine it.

Solution