Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

RAM with 4930k and Asus X79-Deluxe or P9X79

Last response: in Memory
Share
December 12, 2013 1:58:09 AM

Hello, I'm planing on building a new system with Intel 4930k and Asus X79-Deluxe or P9X79 (Pro)
and Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 cooler. The system will be used primarily for 3d modeling and rendering (overnight mostly), so it should be very stable and as fast as possible. I would be happy with overclocking 4930k to around 4.5 GHz.
The question is what would be my best memory for speed and stability, I'm considering these two:
G.Skill RipjawsZ F3-2133C9Q-32GZH
G.Skill RipjawsZ F3-1866C10Q-32GZM

Will the second one be more stable because its 1866 or it shouldn't matter? I'm asking this because on Intel site it says it safe to use 4930k with 1333/1600/1866 and on Asus that the motherboard is compatible with 2400(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz. Does (O.C) mean overclocked RAM or CPU?
Thanks
December 12, 2013 2:08:00 AM

Mostly OC means overclocked
m
0
l
Related resources
December 12, 2013 2:12:41 AM

I Will not recommend you the G.Skill RipjawsZ F3-1866C10Q-32GZM because it doesnt have good CAS 10-11-10-30 is not 100% stable.

For me you should check those.
PATRIOT PV332G186C0QK
http://www.patriotmemory.com/product/detail.jsp?prodlin...

You can OC them at 2133 and still you will have stable CAS.

And OC means you can OC your ram. You will not see dif between 1866 and 2133. Stuck with stock clock at 1866 Quad Channel for 4930k ofc and find some RAM with good CAS for example Partiot Viper has 9-9-9-24 which is perfect.
m
0
l
December 12, 2013 2:15:19 AM

Also you should look for Liquid solution for CPU Cooling.
m
0
l
December 12, 2013 2:26:59 AM

3Dns said:
I Will not recommend you the G.Skill RipjawsZ F3-1866C10Q-32GZM because it doesnt have good CAS 10-11-10-30 is not 100% stable.

For me you should check those.
PATRIOT PV332G186C0QK
http://www.patriotmemory.com/product/detail.jsp?prodlin...

You can OC them at 2133 and still you will have stable CAS.

And OC means you can OC your ram. You will not see dif between 1866 and 2133. Stuck with stock clock at 1866 Quad Channel for 4930k ofc and find some RAM with good CAS for example Partiot Viper has 9-9-9-24 which is perfect.


Why is CAS 10-11-10-30 not 100% stable?

m
0
l
December 12, 2013 2:30:35 AM

Hello!

I have also bought the same PC, almost. And for rendering too XD. At home I have 64 GB of RAM Ripjaws Z 2400 and Noctua D14.
I'm waiting for the 4930k and Asus X79pro (coming Friday :)  ).

2133 or 2400 is overclocked from the BIOS of the motherboard, you must do it manually and respect the manufacturer voltage (1.65v I think, but watch it in the box RipjawsZ). The Notua N14 works well with RipjawsZ, it has good clearance.

But the speed of RAM is not important in the rendering, that's all CPU. Time ago saw a review with DDR2 800 and 1200 and render times were exactly the same. I bought the 2400 because in future it will be more easy to sell than a 1600 or 1866.

And I hope 4.5GHz too XD
m
0
l
December 12, 2013 2:39:10 AM

It is stable but it has 10-11-10 this is the timing processing data in ns(Nano seconds) less timing=more speed 9-9-9-24 is better from 10-10-10-30 for example.
Its not huge difference you will not notice it at all. But you search for the best so...
m
0
l
December 12, 2013 2:41:19 AM

aerocool said:
Hello!

I have also bought the same PC, almost. And for rendering too XD. At home I have 64 GB of RAM Ripjaws Z 2400 and Noctua D14.
I'm waiting for the 4930k and Asus X79pro (coming Friday :)  ).

2133 or 2400 is overclocked from the BIOS of the motherboard, you must do it manually and respect the manufacturer voltage (1.65v I think, but watch it in the box RipjawsZ). The Notua N14 works well with RipjawsZ, it has good clearance.

But the speed of RAM is not important in the rendering, that's all CPU. Time ago saw a review with DDR2 800 and 1200 and render times were exactly the same. I bought the 2400 because in future it will be more easy to sell than a 1600 or 1866.

And I hope 4.5GHz too XD


Please let me know how satisfied you are when you finish your system. Can you also PM me your OC setting that work for you when you are done.
I know that RAM speed is not important when rendering but the scene has to be in RAM before rendering starts, and I don't want to wait loading geometry, textures, proxies ...
Thanks
m
0
l
December 12, 2013 2:46:56 AM

3Dns said:
It is stable but it has 10-11-10 this is the timing processing data in ns(Nano seconds) less timing=more speed 9-9-9-24 is better from 10-10-10-30 for example.
Its not huge difference you will not notice it at all. But you search for the best so...


Ok thanks, I know CL9 is faster than CL10, I thought you meant that it's unstable for some reason. I'm more concerned for stable RAM than speed difference from CL9 to CL10.
What do you think about G.Skill F3-2133C9Q-32GZH as that is CL9?
m
0
l
December 12, 2013 3:06:29 AM

If you want 100% stability those three timers must be the same, like 9-9-9 not 9-10-10 or 10-11-10.
We are talking about 99% stable and 100% the differences is too small but you have those three timers the same you will have 100% stability.
But remember you will not notice it.

G.Skill Ram's is not good above 1600mhz for me.
m
0
l
December 12, 2013 3:08:56 AM

3Dns said:
If you want 100% stability those three timers must be the same, like 9-9-9 not 9-10-10 or 10-11-10.
We are talking about 99% stable and 100% the differences is too small but you have those three timers the same you will have 100% stability.
But remember you will not notice it.

G.Skill Ram's is not good above 1600mhz for me.


Didn't know that about stability, thanks for that info.

m
0
l
December 12, 2013 3:39:01 AM

3Dns said:
If you want G.Skill anyway go for those.
http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-2133c11q-32gzl

Tested Speed 2133MHz
Tested Latency 11-11-11-31

Otherwise i recommend you Corsair Vengeance at 2133 with CAS 9-9-9-24
http://www.corsair.com/en/vengeance-32gb-quad-channel-d...
And Patriot Viper at 1866 with CAS 9-9-9-24
http://www.patriotmemory.com/product/detail.jsp?prodlin...


Thanks for the links, I also found G.Skill F3-1866C9Q-32GZH
http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-1866c9q-32gzh
Tested Speed 1866MHz
Tested Latency 9-9-9-24-2N
And it's quad channel what I want for 4930k, so it looks like the best bet for me.

I'll also have a look at Corsair and Patriot
m
0
l
December 12, 2013 3:42:43 AM

Yep is good also. but i think Patriot is more professional choice.
m
0
l
December 13, 2013 5:00:35 PM

Hello! (My english is not very good, sorry :p )

I finished the 4930k.

My Asus X79pro has the Bios 4302, it wasn´t necessary the update to recognize the CPU.
The Bios is graphical, with mouse, but has a lot of parametres, i´m lost at the moment XD
I can OC to 4.5, but mostly all in auto (need to learn more parametres) with a 1.36v CPU (auto). Doing render in 3D Studio, the temp was max at 65ºC (I think is OK).

G-Skill 2400 is runing at 2400 :) . First time was runing at 1333 but manualy OC to 2400 with 1.65v. Not sure about the Temps, but I am thinking that are ok.

Noctua NH-d14 works fine, no noises of the fans, BUT is a monster... very BIG. It goes upon the RAM, and can´t instal the fans of the G-Skill RAM. But if temps are ok it is fine.

This CPU is about 3.5 times faster than my old q6600 2.4@3.4.

My next change will be the GPU. Now a HD5850, in near future a 780ti i hope XD
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 925 Ĉ ASUS
a c 252 å Intel
a c 2179 } Memory
December 13, 2013 5:08:31 PM

The RJ Z 2133/9 would be your best choice, it provides more bandwidth (can operate more memory at the same time) and the CL9 vs 10 is faster so it's ++ over the 1866/10...The 2133/9 if you chose to downclock to 1866 will run at 1866/8 so, in effect, if your CL equated to seconds of time - they would perform an action every 8 seconds vs every 10 for the native 1866/10 set
Share
April 25, 2014 6:34:35 PM

jank0 said:
3Dns said:
I Will not recommend you the G.Skill RipjawsZ F3-1866C10Q-32GZM because it doesnt have good CAS 10-11-10-30 is not 100% stable.

For me you should check those.
PATRIOT PV332G186C0QK
http://www.patriotmemory.com/product/detail.jsp?prodlin...

You can OC them at 2133 and still you will have stable CAS.

And OC means you can OC your ram. You will not see dif between 1866 and 2133. Stuck with stock clock at 1866 Quad Channel for 4930k ofc and find some RAM with good CAS for example Partiot Viper has 9-9-9-24 which is perfect.


Why is CAS 10-11-10-30 not 100% stable?



3Dns said:
It is stable but it has 10-11-10 this is the timing processing data in ns(Nano seconds) less timing=more speed 9-9-9-24 is better from 10-10-10-30 for example.
Its not huge difference you will not notice it at all. But you search for the best so...


It appears that this Patriot memory you are referring to has "tested timings" of 10-11-10-30 which is exactly the same as the G.Skill. I haven't found anything for the G. Skill "base timings" to see if they are native to 9-9-9-24. Here's the specs for that Patriot RAM: http://www.patriotmemory.com/product/specs/PV332G186C0Q...
m
0
l
May 6, 2014 10:57:27 AM

Scusa, penso che tu sia italiano, spero....
Siccome anch'io ho più o meno la stessa configurazione con mobo asus rampage iv black edition e noctua nh-d14 con g.skill ripjawsz 32gb 2400 gzh ti chiedo:
- anche a me le memorie vengono riconosciute come 1333 mzh, bisogna fare per forza oc da bios?
- il noctua nh-d14 l'hai messo con la ventola esterna al dissipatore orientata verso l'interno del case o verso l'esterno, in questo caso sarebbe vicina a quella del case che aspira verso l'esterno e quella del noctua aspira verso l'interno, non so se è giusto....
grazie
m
0
l
May 6, 2014 11:24:49 AM

You should load a XMP profile, from 1rst window in Bios (on X79Pro...). There are 2 profiles for 2400Mhz, any of them should work well. Yes it is something like OC, but its OK because the Ram is designed for that speed.

The fans should push air into the case from front to rear/up (usually), Noctua fans must be in that direction (front to rear).
m
0
l
a c 925 Ĉ ASUS
a c 252 å Intel
a c 2179 } Memory
May 6, 2014 5:53:51 PM

Uh guy's, this thread is from December
m
0
l
June 7, 2014 6:07:59 PM

aerocool said:
Hello!

I have also bought the same PC, almost. And for rendering too XD. At home I have 64 GB of RAM Ripjaws Z 2400 and Noctua D14.
I'm waiting for the 4930k and Asus X79pro (coming Friday :)  ).

2133 or 2400 is overclocked from the BIOS of the motherboard, you must do it manually and respect the manufacturer voltage (1.65v I think, but watch it in the box RipjawsZ). The Notua N14 works well with RipjawsZ, it has good clearance.

But the speed of RAM is not important in the rendering, that's all CPU. Time ago saw a review with DDR2 800 and 1200 and render times were exactly the same. I bought the 2400 because in future it will be more easy to sell than a 1600 or 1866.

And I hope 4.5GHz too XD


m
0
l
June 7, 2014 6:30:06 PM

aerocool said:
Hello!

I have also bought the same PC, almost. And for rendering too XD. At home I have 64 GB of RAM Ripjaws Z 2400 and Noctua D14.
I'm waiting for the 4930k and Asus X79pro (coming Friday :)  ).

2133 or 2400 is overclocked from the BIOS of the motherboard, you must do it manually and respect the manufacturer voltage (1.65v I think, but watch it in the box RipjawsZ). The Notua N14 works well with RipjawsZ, it has good clearance.

But the speed of RAM is not important in the rendering, that's all CPU. Time ago saw a review with DDR2 800 and 1200 and render times were exactly the same. I bought the 2400 because in future it will be more easy to sell than a 1600 or 1866.

And I hope 4.5GHz too XD


m
0
l
June 7, 2014 6:33:18 PM

have same setup. P9X79pro, 4930K,GSkill ripjaws Z 2400 (4x8gb),K4000 Quadro. Sees only 32gb and had to put in one set of 4 (c1,c2,d1,d2). did yours work out w/64gb? it says my speed is 1333 but I've not done any OC at this time.
m
0
l
!