Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Downgrade refurbished laptop to Win7

Tags:
  • Drivers
  • Laptops
  • Downgrade
  • Windows 7
  • HP Pavilion
Last response: in Windows 7
December 12, 2013 1:00:53 PM

Hi all,

I've just bought new laptop, it's an HP Pavilion 17-e072nr.
But it turned out it was a refurbished one, at least not an untouched one.
But it is unused, plastic films still on it, smells new etc.
The shop says it is delivered with Windows 8, but it is not clear wether Win8, Win 8.1, or Win8.1 Pro is installed. I think it is at least a Pro version of one of them.
There is no disc sent along with the laptop.

This doesn't really bother me but the fact is, I really, really don't like Win8 at all and i would do anything for being able to downgrade it to Win7. I can't get used to Win8.
And you would be able to do so without much trouble if you have Win8Pro.
I haven't touched the laptop yet for warranty/returning reasons, and maybe it is better to install Win7 before waking Win8, I don't know.

I couldn't find a clear guide to downgrade to Win7, and if there are any,(I would be grateful if anyone could refer me to it) I still cope with the problem that my type of notebook originally wasn't available in my country. Maybe it is even some kind of protoype, I can't find any information about it on the web.
So I can't find the drivers either, and I suppose I need those for Win7 to function properly on my device. I'm a dutch so maybe that clears up something.

Long story short: I have a Win8 device which I want to downgrade to Win7, but it is a quite unfindable type so I can't find any information and drivers for it.
I'm getting kind of desperate so any help would be really appreaciated!

More about : downgrade refurbished laptop win7

a c 352 $ Windows 7
a c 267 D Laptop
a b \ Driver
December 12, 2013 1:06:58 PM

There is no downgrade, per se. You simply have to perform a clean install of Windows 7 onto the system, overwriting the current Win 8 install in the process.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 12, 2013 1:10:44 PM

Google search of - 17-e072nr - give me this. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03...
I'm not sure if you can downgrade to Windows 7 legally. I'd contact HP support and see if they have a Windows 7 restore disk for that model otherwise you have to install all the drivers manually.
m
0
l
Related resources
December 12, 2013 1:56:01 PM

COLGeek said:
There is no downgrade, per se. You simply have to perform a clean install of Windows 7 onto the system, overwriting the current Win 8 install in the process.


Well I doesn't matter how to get Win7 on it because I don't have any data that should be backed up.
But how do you perform such a clean install? How do you delete Win8?
I've installed Win7 on a WinXP device but then I had the choice which OS to use when starting up the PC everytime.

PS: sorry for my bad english but i'm a dutchman..
m
0
l
December 12, 2013 2:00:22 PM

DeadRam said:
Google search of - 17-e072nr - give me this. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03...
I'm not sure if you can downgrade to Windows 7 legally. I'd contact HP support and see if they have a Windows 7 restore disk for that model otherwise you have to install all the drivers manually.


Thanks for googling but i got that too, it doesn't contain a link to drivers, it only displays some specs.
I found a list of the pavilion e000 notebook series for drivers, but mine wasn't listed on HP's site.
I'm going to contact HP as you said, but i think they won't help me any further.. :( 
m
0
l
a c 352 $ Windows 7
a c 267 D Laptop
a b \ Driver
December 12, 2013 2:25:52 PM

You just insert a Windows 7 DVD into the optical drive and then boot from it. Then you just follow the installation prompts.
m
0
l
December 12, 2013 2:57:01 PM

COLGeek said:
You just insert a Windows 7 DVD into the optical drive and then boot from it. Then you just follow the installation prompts.


Thanks, but yes i have done that before but then i ended up with two wording windowses on my computer.. not very conducive for a pc i think.. also, can this be done this easily as you say? Third, i still don't have the drivers and maybe win7 wil malfunction on my laptop.. i don't want to brick it.. :( 
m
0
l
a c 282 $ Windows 7
a b D Laptop
a b \ Driver
December 12, 2013 3:17:10 PM

HP does not list any drivers other than for Windows 8 for that platform. If you do manage to get Windows 7 installed it's doubtful you'll find drivers for the hardware.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
a b D Laptop
December 12, 2013 3:28:21 PM

As much as I approve of a downgrade to windows 7, its may not be your best first option. Even for the skilled techs, its a bit time consuming. I doubt drivers would be an issue as some suggest. Win 7 is still in its full support cycle and its highly doubtful that driver support will fade that soon. You can probably still get Vista drivers, let alone 7.

I would recommend trying Classic Shell. It will let you customize the interface back to something usable. If that doesn't work, then go big with the downgrade. Remember, 7 and 8 are VERY similar, save the crap interface on 8. Fix the interface, and you will likely be happy. Here is the link:

http://www.classicshell.net/

Here is a link to a review of classic shell, if you wish to read up on it before trying:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2026719/review-classic-s...

Share
December 17, 2013 8:00:06 AM

FALC0N said:
As much as I approve of a downgrade to windows 7, its may not be your best first option. Even for the skilled techs, its a bit time consuming. I doubt drivers would be an issue as some suggest. Win 7 is still in its full support cycle and its highly doubtful that driver support will fade that soon. You can probably still get Vista drivers, let alone 7.

I would recommend trying Classic Shell. It will let you customize the interface back to something usable. If that doesn't work, then go big with the downgrade. Remember, 7 and 8 are VERY similar, save the crap interface on 8. Fix the interface, and you will likely be happy. Here is the link:

http://www.classicshell.net/

Here is a link to a review of classic shell, if you wish to read up on it before trying:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2026719/review-classic-s...



Thanks, this was the last bit I needed to accept my deplorable fate.. ;)  I think there's no other option.
I have gone through the process of acceptance now and i have resigned to my fate.. ;) 

Of course there are less-legal options too, to go back to win7, which was recommended to me very often, but for everyone who reads this, I would strongly discourage this. Even if you do have the drivers, it's still not smart to do a clean install of win7 with a pirate copy.
I have done this before on win xp and not only do you constantly get the annoying 'not-genuine-version' notification, but your pc is slowly being screwed up either. Really.

So to all the pirates out there, who -I can imagine it- don't want to pay, because you already bought a windows license when you bought your pc, it is not the best option. They're not retarded at Windows, -except the one who invented Metro-UI- so they won't just accept unpaid versions of their software. Unfortunately.
Unless you want your pc to become slow, don't take this step.

And for the ones who gave help and suggestions, I thank you very much!

Adios.
m
0
l