Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Computer won't start up, black screen after installing a R9 270x

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 12, 2013 6:10:22 PM

So the exact version of my video card is a

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Or for quick reference a HIS Radeon R9 270x. For some reason after I've plugged it in (Everything nice and secure too.) I press the button to turn on the power and everything lights up, sounds go, and beeps are heard. But... the display never happens. Not only that but it turns off instantly when I press the power button. I do not understand what is wrong. I've installed the latest drivers I could with my current card (A Radeon 6870) and the power supply should be more than ample for it (Rosewill 750w)

The rest of my computer is:
Windows 7 Premium
8 gigs of ram
1TB HD
3.1k MHZ sandy-bridge proccesor I-5

Mobo (completely forgot this.)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you are wondering how I am typing this out, I reinstalled the 6870 and it works flawlessly. Soo.. yeah. Thanks for the help!


Update: Okay. Discovered the problem. My problem was that fact it can't use PCI-E 3.0. The video card requires that. Thanks for all the help. I have to return the video card since I can't really afford a new motherboard right now xD
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2013 6:14:32 PM

either your 3 year old mobo cannot recognize the gpu or gpu is defective
update bios
try different display interface vga/hdmi
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2013 6:23:50 PM

try different pci-e slot
update bios
m
0
l
December 12, 2013 6:27:25 PM

Plug in your old GPU, update drivers for your new GPU. Turn off your system and plug in your new GPU. Have work for me in several cases.
m
0
l
a c 98 U Graphics card
December 12, 2013 6:36:25 PM

my brother had the same thing happen when he put in his 770, the 2 pin on the 6+2 connector wasn't seated completely in, but you said you checked that already. I have a p55 mobo and it took a 280x no problem so I doubt it's a compatiability thing.
m
0
l
December 12, 2013 8:15:30 PM

a1blaster said:
either your 3 year old mobo cannot recognize the gpu or gpu is defective
update bios
try different display interface vga/hdmi


a1blaster said:
try different pci-e slot
update bios

I was starting to suspect a different pci-e slot but That won't work due to the side of the video card and my heatsink being stupidly large. However, I did realize I have not updated the bios at all. So I suspect that might be hindering it.
m
0
l
December 12, 2013 8:16:31 PM

DarylEPerez said:
Plug in your old GPU, update drivers for your new GPU. Turn off your system and plug in your new GPU. Have work for me in several cases.
This was actually what I attempted first and it did not work at all. Thanks for the help though :D 

m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2013 8:25:03 PM

Is there a switch on the crossfire tab that needs to be pushed? Some of these cards have that... Mode 1 I think. Mine did not.
m
0
l
December 12, 2013 8:26:52 PM

Nah I found the answer. Unless there is a bios update to allow usage of PCI-E 3.0, I can't do anything about it at this point.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2013 8:33:24 PM

calvat said:
Nah I found the answer. Unless there is a bios update to allow usage of PCI-E 3.0, I can't do anything about it at this point.

That shouldn't be an issue because these PCI-e 3.0 is backwards compatible.
I run an R9 270x on the same mobo I ran an 8800GT on 4 years ago

Share
December 12, 2013 8:34:39 PM

Oh..... How do I go about that then? This is something completely new to me now.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2013 8:39:30 PM

calvat said:
Oh..... How do I go about that then? This is something completely new to me now.

You install the card and drivers. That's all I ever did

m
0
l
December 12, 2013 8:41:53 PM

magneezo said:
calvat said:
Oh..... How do I go about that then? This is something completely new to me now.

You install the card and drivers. That's all I ever did

I suspect I may have did something completely different. See I never actually uninstalled the data for the video card I'm currently using. A friend of mine is suggesting that I delete ALL the data and drivers for the current video card, pull out said current video card, then plug the 270x in and it should work. Is this roughly what you did?

m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2013 8:47:31 PM

calvat said:
magneezo said:
calvat said:
Oh..... How do I go about that then? This is something completely new to me now.

You install the card and drivers. That's all I ever did

I suspect I may have did something completely different. See I never actually uninstalled the data for the video card I'm currently using. A friend of mine is suggesting that I delete ALL the data and drivers for the current video card, pull out said current video card, then plug the 270x in and it should work. Is this roughly what you did?


You have to uninstall from control panel 'add/remove programs' the old drivers, then delete folders from the old card entirely before attempting the new install. If you just deleted things like folders then your old drivers are more than likely still installed

m
0
l
December 12, 2013 8:51:34 PM

magneezo said:
calvat said:
magneezo said:
calvat said:
Oh..... How do I go about that then? This is something completely new to me now.

You install the card and drivers. That's all I ever did

I suspect I may have did something completely different. See I never actually uninstalled the data for the video card I'm currently using. A friend of mine is suggesting that I delete ALL the data and drivers for the current video card, pull out said current video card, then plug the 270x in and it should work. Is this roughly what you did?


You have to uninstall from control panel 'add/remove programs' the old drivers, then delete folders from the old card entirely before attempting the new install.


If you'll excuse me I'm having a bit of a facepalm moment. I'll give this a test tomorrow in the morning before work. Thanks for the help.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2013 8:57:10 PM

calvat said:
magneezo said:
calvat said:
magneezo said:
calvat said:
Oh..... How do I go about that then? This is something completely new to me now.

You install the card and drivers. That's all I ever did

I suspect I may have did something completely different. See I never actually uninstalled the data for the video card I'm currently using. A friend of mine is suggesting that I delete ALL the data and drivers for the current video card, pull out said current video card, then plug the 270x in and it should work. Is this roughly what you did?


You have to uninstall from control panel 'add/remove programs' the old drivers, then delete folders from the old card entirely before attempting the new install.


If you'll excuse me I'm having a bit of a facepalm moment. I'll give this a test tomorrow in the morning before work. Thanks for the help.

Here's a link to the current beta drivers for the R9 200 series.
Those old drivers wouldn't support the new 270x so you definitely need them
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-c...

m
0
l
December 12, 2013 9:11:43 PM

magneezo said:
calvat said:
magneezo said:
calvat said:
magneezo said:
calvat said:
Oh..... How do I go about that then? This is something completely new to me now.

You install the card and drivers. That's all I ever did

I suspect I may have did something completely different. See I never actually uninstalled the data for the video card I'm currently using. A friend of mine is suggesting that I delete ALL the data and drivers for the current video card, pull out said current video card, then plug the 270x in and it should work. Is this roughly what you did?


You have to uninstall from control panel 'add/remove programs' the old drivers, then delete folders from the old card entirely before attempting the new install.


If you'll excuse me I'm having a bit of a facepalm moment. I'll give this a test tomorrow in the morning before work. Thanks for the help.

Here's a link to the current beta drivers for the R9 200 series.
Those old drivers wouldn't support the new 270x so you definitely need them
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-c...


Thanks a lot. I grabbed that too. Worst case senario I just plug my old video card back in. So nothing truly lost Haha.
m
0
l
December 18, 2013 5:05:59 AM

I have the exact same cards and the, I'm assuming, exact same issue. I uninstalled all my old drivers, put the new card(s) in, then installed the new drivers. Reboot! Wait for it.. Wait for it.... Not a damn thing.
m
0
l
December 25, 2013 12:08:12 PM

Hi guys.
I have same problem with R9 270.
As read on quick install guide:
- remove the old VGA ( GT 620 )
- plug the R9
- connect internal power cable
- GO !
result : black screen ... NO POST
PC = Acer M3985 ( i7 )
actual available BIOS updates not worked for me :-(
Suggestions ?



m
0
l
December 26, 2013 3:58:30 PM

Mariobro said:
I have the exact same cards and the, I'm assuming, exact same issue. I uninstalled all my old drivers, put the new card(s) in, then installed the new drivers. Reboot! Wait for it.. Wait for it.... Not a damn thing.


Try updating the motherboard BIOS if you have a outdated one, it did the trick for me.
In my case a MSI P67 motherboard could be started from windows but the actual update started after a resstart prior to booting Windows.
m
0
l
February 28, 2014 9:04:53 AM

Try to go on bios and change something to Legacy (dont remember what is the other), try to find it and change. I had this problem before when i installed my R9 270x PCS+
m
0
l
March 26, 2014 6:50:43 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I actually had this exact problem. I found it amusing that you were upgrading to the same card I am upgrading to, using the same motherboard as me, and your old card is the same card I am replacing. I tried different slots, but what finally worked for me was updating my bios using MSI's "Live Update 5" software. You can flash to the new bios version right from windows.
m
0
l
less than a minute ago

kharab hai card kharab hai card kharab hai card
m
0
l
!