Sign in with
Your question
Solved

i3-2120 - How to - Thermal Paste (XIGMATEK PTI-G4512) Application

Last response: in CPUs
December 12, 2013 6:42:58 PM

Should I apply a pea sized dab or line method on the i3-2120 with the stock cooler (used CPU so I have to clean off the old paste)?

also please help me to understand exactly where on the heat spreader to apply the thermal paste

*illustrations are the best* ...iNewb...

Youtube: Newegg TV: Arctic Silver CPU Heatsink/Fan Replacement Guide (time@8:44)

Will the grain of rice application work for the XIGMATEK PTI-G4512 ? (www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-performance-...)

Best solution

a b à CPUs
December 12, 2013 6:56:23 PM

Use the pea method. Other methods were designed for older cpu's with different architecture. The pea method is the most reliable and widely recommended.
December 12, 2013 7:34:27 PM

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-perfo...

Thanks.

Is the pea method best for higher viscosity thermal pastes?

Will it will be necessary to use the plastic spreader included with the thermal paste for better die coverage? (Due to the higher viscosity of this particular paste I feel unsure about how to approach the application method).

I want to make sure the die is covered generously without having compound run-off the sides of the heat spreader.

Should I apply a smaller cooked rice sized dot or a more generous pea sized dab?

m
l
Related resources
December 12, 2013 9:20:30 PM

Should the i3 2120 get a bigger or smaller ratio of blob coverage compared to the ratio of blob to heat spreader on the AMD in the optimal picture?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-heat-...

CPU illustration - thermal compound - Optimal

Would you reccomend I try to get something like...

m
l
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2013 9:30:43 PM

Try getting it somewhere between a piece of rice and a pea. It doesn't really matter whether it's exact or not.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2013 9:33:38 PM

DaleNobody said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-perfo...

Thanks.

Is the pea method best for higher viscosity thermal pastes?

Will it will be necessary to use the plastic spreader included with the thermal paste for better die coverage? (Due to the higher viscosity of this particular paste I feel unsure about how to approach the application method).

I want to make sure the die is covered generously without having compound run-off the sides of the heat spreader.

Should I apply a smaller cooked rice sized dot or a more generous pea sized dab?

Do not use a spreader! All it will do is give you is heaps of air bubbles that will reduce the heat dissipation substantially. The force from the heatsink should be enough to spread the thermal paste when it's put back on.
m
l
December 19, 2013 8:42:50 PM

Perfect. Thanks Red!
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 20, 2013 12:08:17 AM

No problem, that's what the forums are for. :) 
m
l
!