7870 smells like its burning but temps are normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I have a MSI 7870.

Today I noticed a burnt smell coming from my computer room. Took me all day but I finally tracked it down to my computer and namely the video card. When the card is running at under load with stock fan profile there is a burnt odor coming from it and it runs about 78-80c. When I bump the fan past 60% the temp drops into the 60's and the smell goes away completely.

This problem just started today which lead's me to think something is not right. Today has been a cooler day with temperatures in the mid to low 70's so I don't think its a ambient temperature issue.

I also blew any dust out of the cooler which did not seem to help. I am kinda at a lose for whats going on. I really dont wanna leave the fan profile at 60% due to the noise the card generates.

Solution
Power it off and do a full inspection to see if any other components are burning. Anything burning usually has a negative effect on your lungs and you don't want to be inhaling any of those fumes. Make sure the Plastic on the GPU isn't pressing against any hot metal components. I think the cooler plastic is touching the head sink, but plastic doesn't burn below the temp of 100 degrees Celsius. It could be the new plastic smell or something else. Try taking your graphics cards cooler to take a closer look. Hope ive helped :)

charles2075

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2013
Power it off and do a full inspection to see if any other components are burning. Anything burning usually has a negative effect on your lungs and you don't want to be inhaling any of those fumes. Make sure the Plastic on the GPU isn't pressing against any hot metal components. I think the cooler plastic is touching the head sink, but plastic doesn't burn below the temp of 100 degrees Celsius. It could be the new plastic smell or something else. Try taking your graphics cards cooler to take a closer look. Hope ive helped :)

Solution
80c is fairly warm, not overly but getting there. You may blow the dust off but there is still a lot stuck onto the blades of the cooler that will stay and could be causing the smell. Try to keep it below 70c, especially since you already said it solves your issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.