HD keeps freezing, data gets corrupted

Hi,

so i recently formatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows 7. The installation goes perfectly until it restarts and begins "updating registry setting". This step and the next few take ages to complete.

When i finally get to the desktop, everything would run smoothly for a minute and then there would be an audible beep and soft "click" from my HD and my computer would freeze for a bit, then resume. Data eventually gets completely corrupted and a reinstall is required.

It has acted somewhat like this in the past, but its got much worse suddenly.

The confusing part is that i have tested this hard drive in another PC and it runs perfectly! so i really dont know what the issue is. Motherboard perhaps?

Please help me out

OS: Windows 7
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
RAM: Corsair Vengeance - 3 x 4gb, 1600MHz
CPU: Intel i7-930
Graphics Card: Geforce GTX560 Ti
Power Supply: Corsair GS800
9 answers Last reply
More about freezing data corrupted
  1. did you try it with another sata cable on this gigabyte board or on another sata port ?
  2. scout_03 said:
    did you try it with another sata cable on this gigabyte board or on another sata port ?


    Yeah, ive tried that. No success :(
  3. this drive is plug in sata 2 or 3 or 6 gig slot .name and model of it .
  4. scout_03 said:
    this drive is plug in sata 2 or 3 or 6 gig slot .name and model of it .


    Sata 2
    Its a Seagate ST3250824AS, 7200.9, 250Gb
  5. been looking at your motherboard user manual page 28 they tell to put the l shape of the sata cable to the drive and this board have miltiple chipset for the sata port did you have all those driver install http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-x58a-ud3r_v2.0_e.pdf
  6. scout_03 said:
    been looking at your motherboard user manual page 28 they tell to put the l shape of the sata cable to the drive and this board have miltiple chipset for the sata port did you have all those driver install http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-x58a-ud3r_v2.0_e.pdf


    Yes i made sure of that and tried updating drivers to no avail
  7. then i would test the drive with seagate seatools it could be time to get nother one .
  8. scout_03 said:
    then i would test the drive with seagate seatools it could be time to get nother one .


    Ive tested the drive on another PC and it works perfectly. Also, ive tried to install my OS on a different drive and the same stuff happens.
  9. it could be any parts you have o strip down system to minimal parts and check if the click come one ,i would do it will all the memory stick one at the time ,your win 7 os cd do not have a scratch and where did you get it .
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7 Storage Hard Drives HD