Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is it possible to connect a Samsung TV to an HP laptop with Windows 8 via Wi-Fi in order to watch a DVD?

Tags:
  • TV
  • Connection
Last response: in Other Consumer Electronics
Share
December 13, 2013 4:10:50 PM

We have had the TV for over a year and have followed instructions on a number of occasions but just cannot get the TV to connect to the laptop. They are in the same room, along with the router - do you HAVE to use a cable? TV is one end and laptop and desk are other end of room. I have entered the BT wireless code etc. but cannot get it to work.

More about : connect samsung laptop windows order watch dvd

December 13, 2013 4:22:53 PM

Does TV have wifi or ethernet port? you could run a media server like TVersity.
m
0
l
a b x TV
December 23, 2013 9:50:53 AM

If your laptop has HDMI out you can use this
http://www.dvdo.com/air3/
Or you can connect a Western Digital TV Live that will see the movies on the laptop and play them over the network. You could also connect a usb drive to it and eliminate the laptop.
m
0
l
Related resources
December 23, 2013 2:29:21 PM

americanaudiophile said:
If your laptop has HDMI out you can use this
http://www.dvdo.com/air3/
Or you can connect a Western Digital TV Live that will see the movies on the laptop and play them over the network. You could also connect a usb drive to it and eliminate the laptop.


Very kind of you to reply. I bought a Netgear Push2TV piece of kit from our local electronic store, and an HDMI cable and have fiddled about for two days and still cannot get it to work. I found a comment somewhere that my HP laptop and Samsung Smart TV may not be compatible.

I live in London and assume you are in the US - don't know if this makes any difference.

Most grateful for your help.
m
0
l
December 23, 2013 7:17:22 PM

I think what your trying to do is Mirror the screen image correct? via wifi? Im pretty sure that can only be done with Miracast.
m
0
l
December 24, 2013 12:44:18 AM

Immaculate said:
I think what your trying to do is Mirror the screen image correct? via wifi? Im pretty sure that can only be done with Miracast.


m
0
l
December 24, 2013 12:47:24 AM

Yes, I am trying to mirror the laptop. I will try the TVersity idea thank you.

It is irritating when staff in shops sell you stuff that is patently not suitable. I explained very carefully what I wanted.

What a good idea this forum is.
m
0
l
December 24, 2013 11:50:45 AM

The TV has to receive an internet signal either with wifi or ethernet. I used to do it with my PS3. I would have my PS3 connect to the internet, have TVersity running on my PC. Have PS3 check for media servers, choose TVersity and just chose w/e I wanted from my TVersity list through the PS3.
m
0
l
December 24, 2013 1:40:03 PM

12257561,0,1288996 said:
The TV has to receive an internet signal either with wifi or ethernet. I used to do it with my PS3. I would have my PS3 connect to the internet, have TVersity running on my PC. Have PS3 check for media servers, choose TVersity and just chose w/e I wanted from my TVersity list through the PS3.[/quot

I will most certainly give it a try on Boxing Day, thank you.
m
0
l
a b x TV
December 31, 2013 11:30:45 AM

If you are trying to get the video signal to the TV using WiFi, that won't work. I think you are a bit confused on what WiFi is for on the TV. It's to connect to the network for files, not to get a video signal.

If you want to connect the laptop to the TV using a wireless you need to get a wireless video transmitter but those can have issues as they have a pretty short range and are line of sight. Best thing is just connect a video cable between the TV and the laptop. Or just get a $20 DVD player.
m
0
l
January 1, 2014 12:41:15 AM

hang-the-9 said:
If you are trying to get the video signal to the TV using WiFi, that won't work. I think you are a bit confused on what WiFi is for on the TV. It's to connect to the network for files, not to get ..a video signal.

If you want to connect the laptop to the TV using a wireless you need to get a wireless video transmitter but those can have issues as they have a pretty short range and are line of sight. Best thing is just connect a video cable between the TV and the laptop. Or just get a $20 DVD player.


Very kind of you to say I am a bit confused, very, very confused would be more accurate! I have a Netgear Power2TV and an HDMI cable but cannot get the laptop to recognise it. A screen with a code appears on TV and on laptop have a screen asking for code but when I put it in, the laptop stupidly says 'oops, that didn't work.
I will try doing as you say and see if that works. Thank you.
m
0
l
a b x TV
January 2, 2014 6:55:59 AM

SUS1E said:
hang-the-9 said:
If you are trying to get the video signal to the TV using WiFi, that won't work. I think you are a bit confused on what WiFi is for on the TV. It's to connect to the network for files, not to get ..a video signal.

If you want to connect the laptop to the TV using a wireless you need to get a wireless video transmitter but those can have issues as they have a pretty short range and are line of sight. Best thing is just connect a video cable between the TV and the laptop. Or just get a $20 DVD player.


Very kind of you to say I am a bit confused, very, very confused would be more accurate! I have a Netgear Power2TV and an HDMI cable but cannot get the laptop to recognise it. A screen with a code appears on TV and on laptop have a screen asking for code but when I put it in, the laptop stupidly says 'oops, that didn't work.
I will try doing as you say and see if that works. Thank you.


OK, so you do have something there, should have posted that in the first post that you have a Power2TV, always good to know exactly what you are trying to do.

That Netgrear only works with certain wireless standards. "Miracast™ certified and Intel® WiDi wireless display enabled devices" http://www.netgear.com/home/products/connected-entertai...

If your laptop does not work with this thing with the current configuration, you could look for an add-on WiFi card that does support miracast. Here is one on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/331075490681?lpid=82 you can get.

You need to look over the specs of the device you are using and then compare it to what you have to see if they will work together. While both the laptop and the Netgear device you have are "wireless", that can be as different as saying that an Elephant and a Mouse are both "Animals" so should be fed the same thing.
m
0
l
!