Closed

Windows cant detect hard drive on clean install

Hi all,

I am currently using a new, clean 640gig western digital caviar black harddrive connected to my mobo through SATA.
Mobo : asrock77 pro3

I looked at the stickied post and the author wrote about every condition on what to do except my condition where the windows installation doesn't pick up on the harddrive.

in my BIOS my harddrive is detected in my sata port.
In the windows installation part, my HDD isnt found automatically and when i get it manually it says that the C drive is not formatted. I click OK to format and it asks me to supply drivers. My friend mentioned nothing of needing drivers for the harddrive and didnt supply me with any discs. To my knowledge windows 7 should not require any drivers for a blank sata HDD.

I will be actively searching for solutions while I wait for responses.

Thank you.
13 answers Last reply
More about windows detect hard drive clean install
  1. I found these steps and am following them.

    Once in Windows setup, hit shift+F10 to bring up the command line.
    >diskpart [enter]
    >list disk [enter]
    From the list above (assuming you have more than one HD installed, if not it'll be the only one), find the number corresponding to your HD.
    >select drive [number] [enter]
    >clean all [enter] * see note below
    >create partition primary [enter]
    >select partition 1 [enter]
    >active [enter]
    >format fs=ntfs [enter] ** see note
    >assign [enter]
    >exit [enter]
    >exit [enter]
  2. This worked for me!
    But....I only got as far as >clean all [enter] * see note below
    (there are no notes below)
    It ran for about 15 minutes....finally I closed the admin window, cancelled the installation, and rebooted.
    I tried once more (after at least 4 tries before) - and IT SAW MY HDD!!
    Win 7 install in progress now....
    Thank you
  3. himynameistom said:
    I found these steps and am following them.

    Once in Windows setup, hit shift+F10 to bring up the command line.
    >diskpart [enter]
    >list disk [enter]
    From the list above (assuming you have more than one HD installed, if not it'll be the only one), find the number corresponding to your HD.
    >select drive [number] [enter]
    >clean all [enter] * see note below
    >create partition primary [enter]
    >select partition 1 [enter]
    >active [enter]
    >format fs=ntfs [enter] ** see note
    >assign [enter]
    >exit [enter]
    >exit [enter]

    Were are the notes?
  4. I got to the step "clean all" (deep erase
    that takes 2 hours) I lost power in the middle and when I rebooted and ran setup it found the disk and everything went smoothly from there
  5. I found these steps and am following them.

    Once in Windows setup, hit shift+F10 to bring up the command line.
    >diskpart -Press enter
    >list disk -Press enter
    From the list above (assuming you have more than one HD installed, if not it'll be the only one), find the number corresponding to your HD.
    >select disk [number] - Press enter
    >clean all -press enter
    >exit

    THANK YOU BROTHER. IT WORKS FOR ME. I SPENT WHOLE DAY LOOKING FOR SOLUTION. NOW TECHNIC WORK FOR ME.
  6. I found these steps and am following them.

    Once in Windows setup, hit shift+F10 to bring up the command line.
    >diskpart -Press enter
    >list disk -Press enter
    From the list above (assuming you have more than one HD installed, if not it'll be the only one), find the number corresponding to your HD.
    >select disk [number] - Press enter
    >clean all -press enter
    >exit

    Thanks guys for quick fix. Above definitely works. Love you all
    Di
  7. Hey guys. I had the same problem.

    My solution was, that I had to put my installation USB into another USB port. I took it from the rear USB slots and put it into front. Woi-la .. and it worked for me. Suddenly the Windows installation process could see my HDD. Spent 4 hours solving around before I tried this. Hope this will help somebody. :)
  8. Majk_M, your solution worked for me too - spent hours following the diskpart process - no result. Then I tried switching to a front panel USB port - it worked. WTF is going on here?
  9. xlrtech said:
    Majk_M, your solution worked for me too - spent hours following the diskpart process - no result. Then I tried switching to a front panel USB port - it worked. WTF is going on here?


    USB trick works for me too.
    Looks like USB3 ports are somehow not supported.
    I switched to a USB2 port and all worked fine.

    i guess it's the same case for you. Probably your front panel USB ports are USB2.
  10. eavive said:
    xlrtech said:
    Majk_M, your solution worked for me too - spent hours following the diskpart process - no result. Then I tried switching to a front panel USB port - it worked. WTF is going on here?


    USB trick works for me too.
    Looks like USB3 ports are somehow not supported.
    I switched to a USB2 port and all worked fine.

    i guess it's the same case for you. Probably your front panel USB ports are USB2.


    hi guys. This is real strange because i have random cituations here. Some machines works with usb3 and some others with usb2 :) wtf? :P
  11. Easy way to make the system see a disk is with "Disk Management". just go to your disk on the bottom and 'import foreign disk"
  12. I had the same problem. I just took off the backplate of my PC and I saw that the sata cable connecting to the motherboard was displaced by the backplate. Put it back into position and rewired the cable nd it works :).
  13. The answer for this question, that worked for me is this one: https://superuser.com/questions/959879/windows-10-installation-a-media-driver-your-computer-needs-is-missing?newreg=42080a9ee168476dae0d01f6e8c40e20.

    Basically speaking, you need to create the usb flash drive / dvd with Media Creation Tool. If you download the ISO from Microsoft website without using Media Creation Tool, your ISO will get corrupted.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows SATA Clean Install Storage Hard Drives