HD 7770 atikmdag.sys BSOD

Khettostara

Honorable
Nov 2, 2013
Hey!
I got my new gpu second hand which is an XFX HD7770 Core Ed.
When I open a game which demands some gfx (CS:GO) after hanging around in the start menu for a sec the screen goes mad and sound starts looping and grey lines on screen and eventually BSOD with error atikmdag.sys. I thought problem was psu which was Chieftec 600W but now i got Corsair 400w and still the exact same issue. I have tried beta and latest drivers and many clean windows installations with no results. Also BIOS and drivers etc are up to date. I can play f.ex. CS 1.6 flawlessly.

System

Intel G860 3.0Ghz
4GB Kingston 1333mhz RAM
Msi H61-P31 (G3)
XFX HD 7770 Core Ed.
Corsair 400W Psu
Windows 7 Home Prem. 64-bit

I wonder if updating windows has something to do with this? I am currently updating windows to see if it has something to do with it. My bet is that the GPU is faulty but thought i might aswell ask if there is a solution for this problem.
PS. On the same system with Nvidia G210 everything works fine so RAM shouldnt be the issue.

Khettostara

Honorable
Nov 2, 2013
Havent oc'd but have tried lowering clocks to 800mhz without results. Temps are fine from what i can see before bsod. On idle temp is 27. What do you mean by firmware? GPU bios is the latest for this model.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
You may have a faulty card then. Try running Prime95 "short test" and see if it can handle that, if not more than likely faulty card. If it's fine then you got issues elsewhere, like maybe motherboard/RAM going flaky.

i would fresh install your graphics drivers incase its a driver issue.
grab driver fusion and ccleaner.

uninstall amd drivers completely and dont restart when prompted.
run driver fusion, select amd driver cleaner and clean then restart when prompted.
on restart run ccleaner and run the file cleaner then the registry cleaner multiple times till it finds no errors.
then install the amd driver as custom and only install the display and hdmi driver.

see if this helps.

Khettostara

Honorable
Nov 2, 2013

Shouldnt be a driver issue since i have done 3-4 clean installs of windows.

Khettostara

Honorable
Nov 2, 2013
And forgot mention that i bought card second hand and when i picked the package from post i noticed that the card is wobbling around in the box so possibly couldve suffered some damage? If I am correct laptops suffer from these kind of problems when dropped so this could be a similar problem?

try a different power supply if you have one to hand and also try a different pcie 6x connector if it has multiple of them incase one has gone funny and cant supply the full power needed.

also try lowering the core voltage if possible, i have seen the odd few people solve problems like this by adjusting core voltage on faulty 7970s

Khettostara

Honorable
Nov 2, 2013
Mm... Now when I tried to install new drivers once again as you suggested it says that failures occurred during insallation and when i open log it says "Error messages : Application Install: install package failure!"

But still on log it says that Display driver, hdmi audio driver and microsoft visual blablalalb are installed successfully.
Is it possible that the card is faulty and the drivers dont work as they should with the card?

TRENDING THREADS