Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

How to install windows without a disk drive

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
December 14, 2013 9:18:49 AM

I am building a new computer and i had a tight budget so i could not put in an disk drive. i am also getting windows for that computer. I imagine windows comes in the form of a disk so i was wondering how do i install windows on my new computer if it does not have a disk drive?
a b $ Windows 7
December 14, 2013 9:23:46 AM

Hello... an ISO file with a BOOTable USB stick.
m
0
l
December 14, 2013 9:26:35 AM

Ironsounds said:
Hello... an ISO file with a BOOTable USB stick.


how do i get that iso file? Do i put the disk in another computer and i can transfer it on a usb? sorry if this sounds dumb, i just dont know alot about Operating system installing

m
0
l
Related resources
December 14, 2013 9:39:20 AM

USAFRet said:
The Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool will assist in making the USB install.


But can i make an iso with the installation disk to then put on a usb? cause that page explains if you have the iso already.

m
0
l
December 14, 2013 9:45:33 AM

USAFRet said:
babeldude said:
USAFRet said:
The Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool will assist in making the USB install.


But can i make an iso with the installation disk to then put on a usb? cause that page explains if you have the iso already.



You can download the official Windows 7 ISO here:
http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-...


So i would buy windows 7 disk that comes with a cd key and then i download that iso, put it on a usb, put it in my computer and enter the cd key? just making sure i understand all the steps

m
0
l

Best solution

a c 538 $ Windows 7
December 14, 2013 9:48:06 AM

babeldude said:


So i would buy windows 7 disk that comes with a cd key and then i download that iso, put it on a usb, put it in my computer and enter the cd key? just making sure i understand all the steps



Yes. When you buy the Windows disk, it comes with a key. You can create the USB boot from the relevant ISO, and use they key that comes with the disk.
Share
December 14, 2013 10:10:33 AM

USAFRet said:
babeldude said:


So i would buy windows 7 disk that comes with a cd key and then i download that iso, put it on a usb, put it in my computer and enter the cd key? just making sure i understand all the steps



Yes. When you buy the Windows disk, it comes with a key. You can create the USB boot from the relevant ISO, and use they key that comes with the disk.


Also can you do this with windows 8?

m
0
l
a c 538 $ Windows 7
December 14, 2013 10:35:34 AM

babeldude said:
USAFRet said:
babeldude said:


So i would buy windows 7 disk that comes with a cd key and then i download that iso, put it on a usb, put it in my computer and enter the cd key? just making sure i understand all the steps



Yes. When you buy the Windows disk, it comes with a key. You can create the USB boot from the relevant ISO, and use they key that comes with the disk.


Also can you do this with windows 8?



You can buy Win 8 or 8.1 in either DVD or downloadable format. Create the USB from that.
m
0
l
!