Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

do you need to re apply thermal paste after taking the heat sink off?

Tags:
  • Gaming
  • Heat
  • Heatsinks
  • Thermal Compound
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
December 14, 2013 3:10:00 PM

hello.today i built my first gaming pc..on the building process i couldnt fit the hdd into its bracket becuase of the heat sink..(fm2 stock)..so i took the heatsink out..i know it was stupid..the pc hadnt turned on for the first time when i did that..some thermal paste was left in the cpu and some in the heatsink..i putted the heatsink...now i have temperatures of 50c when i browse on the internet..when i am gaming it goes about 66...should i re apply thermal paste again?

More about : apply thermal paste taking heat sink

a c 590 4 Gaming
a c 945 à CPUs
December 14, 2013 3:13:18 PM

Yes you have to reapply thermal paste everytime you need to reinstall a cpu heatsink. Make sure you wipe your cpu and heatsink clean with high % alcohol first.
m
0
l
December 14, 2013 3:17:07 PM

CTurbo said:
Yes you have to reapply thermal paste everytime you need to reinstall a cpu heatsink. Make sure you wipe your cpu and heatsink clean with high % alcohol first.


so thats why i am getting high cpu temperature right?
m
0
l
Related resources
December 14, 2013 3:19:11 PM

bouncedk said:
Yep always re-apply the paste when you take the heatsink off, otherwise there's gonna be air pockets and that's not good for effective cooling. Clean the cpu and heatsink the best you can before putting on new paste.


how can i spread the thermal paste in the cpu?i mean a thin layer of thermal paste will do or it wants fat layer?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2013 3:19:28 PM

The reason why you should re-apply the paste is because just remounting the cooler introduces a high risk of air bubbles in the existing applied paste. Air bubbles act as an insulator and impede the transmission of heat away from the CPU.

It would be a very good idea to clean off the old paste and reapply.
m
0
l
December 14, 2013 3:21:17 PM

2x4b said:
The reason why you should re-apply the paste is because just remounting the cooler introduces a high risk of air bubbles in the existing applied paste. Air bubbles act as an insulator and impede the transmission of heat away from the CPU.

It would be a very good idea to clean off the old paste and reapply.


so does the thermal paste want to be thin spreaded on the cpu or fat spreaded?
m
0
l
December 14, 2013 3:26:20 PM

bouncedk said:
aggelos123 said:
bouncedk said:
Yep always re-apply the paste when you take the heatsink off, otherwise there's gonna be air pockets and that's not good for effective cooling. Clean the cpu and heatsink the best you can before putting on new paste.


how can i spread the thermal paste in the cpu?i mean a thin layer of thermal paste will do or it wants fat layer?


I usually just put little blob in the middle of the cpu and let the heatsink spread it out when I screw it in place. Has worked very well for years so I'm not changing that approach :) 


ok thanks :)  on monday i will buy a thermal paste..my cpu temp while gaming is like 65C..is that normal temp for gaming?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2013 4:53:28 PM

Unless you like air bubbles (less thermal conductivity) then yes its absolutely critical
m
0
l